Tips of SPS blowing up

• SRC Member

Some of my acros have recently started blowing up at the tips. The polyps are still coming out. Is this s sign of anything. Water parameters are ok, except Ca is low at 330 ppm cos no time the last few days to top up. dkh at 11.

I am pray hard and in the mean time adding Ca powder t move Ca back to 400+.

I think (marine) therefore I am

blowing up = bloat up like an obese child.

No pic cause DC kaput recently.

I'll provide a standby pic until you get it up :P:D:D:D:D

post-22-1091080395.jpg

Hmm..from my biology background if i didnt remember wrongly adequate calcium levels are needed to maintain cell integrity. If the surrounding calcium concentration is low, calcium might diffuse out of the acro tissue into the surrounding water. The movement of calcium out of the tissue might have led to influx of water into the tissue. Forgot all the jargon about receptor transport,etc but the problem should be due to your calcium levels if all other parameters are constant.

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

• SRC Member
Hmm..from my biology background if i didnt remember wrongly adequate calcium levels are needed to maintain cell integrity. If the surrounding calcium concentration is low, calcium might diffuse out of the acro tissue into the surrounding water. The movement of calcium out of the tissue might have led to influx of water into the tissue. Forgot all the jargon about receptor transport,etc but the problem should be due to your calcium levels if all other parameters are constant.

bro, ur knowledge amazes me..... mabbe we shld appoint u biology mod. i mean like RC they have a chemistry mod too. :blink:

:off:

Get Paid To Read Emails. Free To Join Now!

http://www.emailcashpro.com/?r=okdk11

• SRC Member

I think fuel might be right. I've checked all parameters and only Ca is low at 320 ppm. I'll try to dose it up slowing to 400 ppm in a week. Hope the swelling will stop.

Fuel, its been 3 days of swelling and the tissue and polyps are still ok. Hope this will not have long term effect on the SPS

I think (marine) therefore I am

• SRC Member

I thought calcium ions are only stored in trace amounst in the cell? Majority of the calcium is used up for skeleton synthesis. Even if the surrounding water has a lower concentration of calcium than in the cytoplasm of the cells, the calcium ions are unable to diffuse out as it would need to be diffused thru a medium-water. However this would not be possible as the phospholipid bilayer(plasma membrane) has a hydrophobic core thus it would not be possible for calcium ions to diffuse out of the cell.. The calcium ions are taken in from the surrounding water by active transport. other substances are moveed into the cell by facillitated diffusion.

Facilitaed difussion moves large, lipid-soluble molecules across the membrane with the aid of protein carriers. the molecule binds to the carriers and initiated a structural change in the protein, thus the molecule is released into the cell.

Active tranport is carried out by protein carriers found embeded in the phospholipid bilayer. In the presence of ATP (adenosine triphosphate - temprary energy stores) and the substance, both ATP and substance will bind to the carrier and with the aid of phosphate, the protein carrier changes comformation and expels the substance into or out of the cell. With the loss of phosphate, the carrier restores to its original structure and the cycle repeats. These structures act like pumps to pump substances into and out of cells.

Think the cell's cytoplasm will always be hypertonic to the surrounding water. However even so, it wouldn't cause such an occurence. Calcium stored only in trace amounts in the cell.

Live and Let Live

• SRC Member
I thought calcium ions are only stored in trace amounst in the cell? Majority of the calcium is used up for skeleton synthesis. Even if the surrounding water has a lower concentration of calcium than in the cytoplasm of the cells, the calcium ions are unable to diffuse out as it would need to be diffused thru a medium-water. However this would not be possible as the phospholipid bilayer(plasma membrane) has a hydrophobic core thus it would not be possible for calcium ions to diffuse out of the cell.. The calcium ions are taken in from the surrounding water by active transport. other substances are moveed into the cell by facillitated diffusion.

Facilitaed difussion moves large, lipid-soluble molecules across the membrane with the aid of protein carriers. the molecule binds to the carriers and initiated a structural change in the protein, thus the molecule is released into the cell.

Active tranport is carried out by protein carriers found embeded in the phospholipid bilayer. In the presence of ATP (adenosine triphosphate - temprary energy stores) and the substance, both ATP and substance will bind to the carrier and with the aid of phosphate, the protein carrier changes comformation and expels the substance into or out of the cell. With the loss of phosphate, the carrier restores to its original structure and the cycle repeats. These structures act like pumps to pump substances into and out of cells.

Think the cell's cytoplasm will always be hypertonic to the surrounding water. However even so, it wouldn't cause such an occurence. Calcium stored only in trace amounts in the cell.

Hey bro,

:shock::shock:

Excellent! Don't understand half of it but the other half that I understand is informative enough. :thanks:

Those are only the basic transport processes. There are many more complex exchangers that exist. Can't remember most of them already but I think an example of one of them are Na/Ca exchangers (If I did'nt remember wrongly). These serve to move both ions in an antiport way. So if Ca moves out of the cell, Na moves in, increasing the osmolarity of the cell and thus water will move into the cell, causing the cell to swell. ;) Hmmm..amazing I remembered my most hated biology topics...hehe..I'm better at ecology and general animal stuff. Hate topics that zoom into detail...like cellular processes, microbiology, etc altogether..cause studying these for exams totally kills. :pinch:

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

Can someone explain that to me in English?! :thanks:

People do not plan to fail; Often they just fail to plan...

Wat I do to prevent myself from tearing my hair out... My stress remedy...

post-34-1105890976.jpg

• SRC Member
Those are only the basic transport processes. There are many more complex exchangers that exist. Can't remember most of them already but I think an example of one of them are Na/Ca exchangers (If I did'nt remember wrongly). These serve to move both ions in an antiport way. So if Ca moves out of the cell, Na moves in, increasing the osmolarity of the cell and thus water will move into the cell, causing the cell to swell. ;) Hmmm..amazing I remembered my most hated biology topics...hehe..I'm better at ecology and general animal stuff. Hate topics that zoom into detail...like cellular processes, microbiology, etc altogether..cause studying these for exams totally kills. :pinch:

its call sodium potassium pump...na/k pump which is a kind of carrier protein