Problem Increasing Calcium Level

Good evening experts :)

I've this big problem about increasing calcium levels in my tank. Tried the liquid calcium additive from Seachem...to no avail. Read about Kalk dripping, bought a Reefez Kalk and start dripping...still no use!

1. Calcium level 300 even after various addition of the liquid Calcium additive. Mix 1 teaspoon kalk with vinegar, and added two litres of water, drip the 'clear solution'. The next day, calcium level still at 300.

2. Tried again for another 3 times....no improvement :cry:

What could be the problem? This may sound stupid, but could it be my skimmer ###### in everything? Or could it be my caroline algae absorbing everything (unlikely hor?) ? :unsure: Please note that there are no corals in my tank yet <_<

Please feel free to give your opinion :)

Thanks!

Jim

• SRC Member

what brand testkit are u using? sera are total rubbish in calcium.

kalk is more for maintaining calcium levels rather than increasing it. is your coraline algae growing all over your tank walls and glass and sandbed? then maybe its the coraline :P

what brand testkit are u using? sera are total rubbish in calcium.

kalk is more for maintaining calcium levels rather than increasing it. is your coraline algae growing all over your tank walls and glass and sandbed? then maybe its the coraline :P

Using JBL lor...

Not lar...the caroline are 80% covering my rocks...no where else :P

Kalk not for increasing? Then How? :blink:

• SRC Member

It depends on how concentrate your kalkwasser is. Unsaturated kalkwasser is not much different from tap water with respect to calcium level.

I would highly recommend getting Seachem Reef Advantage Calcium and Reef Builder or Salifert All-in-One to bump up the calcium and alkalinity. The cheapest way is to do a large water change.+

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member

Get me a slump! :lol:

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member
:off:

Go create a new thread on this! ;)

Mr Spade should have the honour.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

• SRC Member
But Kalk suppose to do the job rite?

How much kalk can you drip per day?

What's the pH of your kalkwasser?

post-36-1093875548.jpg

• SRC Member

Note that seachem reef advantage does raises your calcium levels. But note that it raises only the calcium part with no regards to the alkalinity part. Kalk raises both 1:1. If you always add reef adv without reef builder, overtime w/o water changes, you might have ionic imbalance as in chloride ions much more than sodium... important thing is still test your water parameters first and know what u are adding and the effects of adding them.

For me, when calcium and alk is both low due to high consumption rate of the calcium in my 2 feet tank, i add about 4 "chicken rice spoon" of kalkwasser to 8 liters of water. Started using reefez also, no complaints so far, cheap is the main answer.. heh heh...

If calcium is low while alk is high, i would add calcium chloride or reef adv.

If calcium is high while alk is low, i would add bicarbonate or reef builder.

But these seachem pdts are not cheap, so either u get a cheap source or do large water changes~!

• SRC Member

No corals and your tank is depleting calcium that fast? I'll suspect testkit error right away.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

• SRC Member

Calcium keeping fish? :unsure:

Salifert and Seachem are good brands.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

• SRC Member

That will be quite difficult because calcium will start precipitating once it gets too high. Overdose will decrease your alkalinity and depress your pH, then maybe it will affect your fish.

post-36-1093875548.jpg