cannister for SPS

• SRC Member

well.. due to a poor setup... :cry::cry:

i don think i can use sump

btw..me still a newbie.

but just wondering if cannister can use for sps tank?

I am just an average FR (fish reefing) writer. If you like my FRs, please upz my points.

• SRC Member
well.. due to a poor setup... :cry::cry:

btw..me still a newbie.

since u are a begginner, think u better try other hardier stuffs 1st...

investments into SPS is huge...and dun think u wanna have any mishaps...

according to SPS experts, SPS do better in mature tanks...i have no idea wat they mean by mature tanks but i believe it means mature DSB (at least 6mths), mature rocks, and basically a mature system...

• SRC Member

I'm running a small 2 footer with SPS using canister without DSB.....but rocks filled up half my tank and wife can't understand why i'm keeping 'rocks'!!!

anyway, its possible to keep SPS with canister, but you got to make sure NO3 cannot be detected first before adding in SPS....also its a lot of work....i clean my canister 1-2 times weekly in order to keep NO3 low.

well.. due to a poor setup...  :cry:    :cry:

btw..me still a newbie.

:off: but BTw, bro...keeping SPS is not that easy...not just if your water Par N03 is zero, thats it...You still have lots to consider..such as the DKH, calcuim, Alk , ZEro or undectable Phosphate...not forgetting the important suroce of LIGHTS... :P , water circulartry system, This and that...so, its not as easy...as you mentioned, u are a newbie...*same as me* :) and the so called poorly setup, Try to get into easily and hardier corals which is a small investment for the mean time while you start to climb to greater heights...For example, Zoo's, Mushies, LPS, and if you really ready, SPS..

Most of all, do lots of Readingand patience is the Key to success..

Goodluck: :peace:

• SRC Member

not to worry bro....me also newbie and from your date joined, you are definately more experience then me... :paiseh:

just try getting frags instead of colony and like what giantbicycle with lots of reading and patience, you will definately succeed....

• SRC Member
not to worry bro....me also newbie and from your date joined, you are definately more experience then me... :paiseh:

just try getting frags instead of colony and like what giantbicycle with lots of reading and patience, you will definately succeed....

Are you able to keep the color of your acro?

• SRC Member

2 of my colonies have colored up recently, 3 others were purchase with colors and they are still retaining it. The rest RTN or orginal color was brown....:P or course there are also 2 which turned brown...:paiseh:

The problem that i had was to find the appropriate pump to create enough current for the SPS. It is very hard because it is very easy for the NO3 to raise if i'm slack a bit on the maintainence.....

2 of my colonies have colored up recently, 3 others were purchase with colors and they are still retaining it. The rest RTN or orginal color was brown....:P or course there are also 2 which turned brown...:paiseh:

The problem that i had was to find the appropriate pump to create enough current for the SPS. It is very hard because it is very easy for the NO3 to raise if i'm slack a bit on the maintainence.....

agree...no slacking ....if not..all water PAR Will go BOMBA :lol: if you do not have thoese eqquiements to keep up closely with your water PAr and all will go hey wire...so... Hardwroking is the KEy now.. :lol::lol:

IME, u do not necessarily need to achieve zero nitrate levels to hv ur sps coloured up. I hv never managed to achieve zero nitrate levels. ;) but keep it as low as possible.

Austin the Westie: "I may be your best friend, but you are my everything".

Lightning Strike's Back!!!

Reefkeeping Is Not My Hobby, It's My Obsession.

Austin's Birthday

.png

• SRC Member

someone recommend me to use 2 cannister and also 2 skimmers..

he also tell me that cannister need to maintance like every 8 mths..

so cannister just clean every 8 mths to 1 yr can liao??

look risky to me

I am just an average FR (fish reefing) writer. If you like my FRs, please upz my points.

someone recommend me to use 2 cannister and also 2 skimmers..

he also tell me that cannister need to maintance like every 8 mths..

so cannister just clean every 8 mths to 1 yr can liao??

look risky to me

8 mths??? he must be joking!!! :D more like once fortnightly or at least once a month.

Austin the Westie: "I may be your best friend, but you are my everything".

Lightning Strike's Back!!!

Reefkeeping Is Not My Hobby, It's My Obsession.

Austin's Birthday

.png

• SRC Member

8 mths??? he must be joking!!! :D more like once fortnightly or at least once a month.

thanks lightings..

i think the best solution is REDO the tank my way... :evil:

i mean the normal way you guys did...

not any extra-ODDdinary way

• SRC Member

yeah must be joking...cleaning cannister 8 months to 1 year means he is not taking NO3 into consideration, must be thinking of a FOWL setup....

from what i heard 2 skimmer is quite useless....should go for a good one instead.....

anyway, it is very possible to keep NO3 to the level that Salifiet test kit can't detect...just keep 1 fish only lor.....:)

• SRC Member

"Can canister be use for SPS?"

The short answer is yes. I'm using two canister filters (CF) for a 3' tank... two because when one is being washed and cleaned, the other can still run and provide the bio filtration necessary until the new bio whatever builds is itself up... remember it takes time... otherwise everytime you clean your one and only CF, you risk having your tank run without any good bacteria for a few days.

You won't need two protein skimmer, one should be sufficient for a 3' tank... (actually that answer depends very much on your bio-load... but here I'm referring to the size rather qty)... I use a hangon Weipro 2011 driven by an external RENA-C40 @ 1000l/h.

I clean each of my CF once every other month, but have decided to actually let the water parameters tell me when to do the cleaning nowadays... you'll know when its time.

Disclaimer: I'm not advocating the use CFs here, like you, it wasn't by choice. I bought my tank on impulse at Katong Flower Shop :ph34r: (upper changi rd east) - was very much into greens then. The whole setup came with chiller, FL lights, LRs and even 9 fishes with 1 CF... The darn two door cabinet has a divided in the middle.... what I wish you to know is that there is always more than one way to....

... the long answer is... SPSes needs more than CFs and PS to thrive well...

Give the CFs a shot by trying... you'll learn plenty and your monetary risk is limited as you already have a CF... start out with a few SPS frags and built your knowledge base as you go along... and if you should love SPSes than you can still upgrade... the journey to a thousand miles begins with a step. Best to you.

mm

• SRC Member
I'm running a small 2 footer with SPS using canister without DSB.....but rocks filled up half my tank and wife can't understand why i'm keeping 'rocks'!!!

anyway, its possible to keep SPS with canister, but you got to make sure NO3 cannot be detected first before adding in SPS....also its a lot of work....i clean my canister 1-2 times weekly in order to keep NO3 low.

Hi tineng

Keeping sps in your tank will be very challenging as the water volume in a 2 ft tank (I assume w/o sump as you are using canister) is small relatively, which means that once there is a change in parameter or nutrients, the change will be large RELATIVELY.

You must be very committed in keeping sps well in the long run. I believe you are very committed as you clean your canister 1-2x weekly. I used to use canister for my wife 2.5 ft tank and I clean it only 1-2x a year :D

• SRC Member
"Can canister be use for SPS?"

The short answer is yes. I'm using two canister filters (CF) for a 3' tank... two because when one is being washed and cleaned, the other can still run and provide the bio filtration necessary until the new bio whatever builds is itself up... remember it takes time... otherwise everytime you clean your one and only CF, you risk having your tank run without any good bacteria for a few days.

My wife's tank runs w/o sump and canister. The liverock provide the biological filtration and it needs good water circulation within the tank. ;)

• SRC Member

Hi tineng

Keeping sps in your tank will be very challenging as the water volume in a 2 ft tank (I assume w/o sump as you are using canister) is small relatively, which means that once there is a change in parameter or nutrients, the change will be large RELATIVELY.

You must be very committed in keeping sps well in the long run. I believe you are very committed as you clean your canister 1-2x weekly. I used to use canister for my wife 2.5 ft tank and I clean it only 1-2x a year :D

yeah....one slip up in maitainance or evening giving my fishes a special treat once in a while will give me problem....almost immediately NO3 will go up.... :P

NO3, CA, KH and salinity checks are done very 2 days (using up test kits like crazy) and have all sort of additive and chemical to make adjustment.... :eyeblur:

it is more stress then looking after my kids....anyway, upgrading soon so hopefully will not have to be so 'on' in the future....

correction(more politically correct saying)...............

SPS should be avoided by newbie or any reefers who are lacking in the knowledge in the husbandry of the demanding coral.

It should be avoided if the tank and water parameter is not stable enough.........

willing to ask and find out more is already a good start towards keeping SPS ;)