Diy Bricks Stand

[d]3v|L

bro.. just my opinion.. the tank is well support by the brick on both side but the center is hollow bro.. its only supported by your marine ply wood..

maybe you can add another piece of thicker and firmer marine plywood across top of the no 6th brick(starting from bottom) and laid bricks on this piece of marine plywood, then you stack another piece of marine ply wood on top of the bricks

post-9-1061606269.jpg

• SRC Member

as u see im left with 15cm of space cos my 2.5sump is blocking space for bricks.

Im left with 7.5cm on both side, that means the edge of my tank is resting on the small area on the bricks.

post-9-1061607278.jpg

ORDed

back to studies and reefing again..

• SRC Member

i think its better to rest yer tank on the marine plywood only... instead of on the bricks...

at least the plywood is a flat surface, im afraid the bricks could be of unequal size, causing tension to the tank..

another thing is that i think u shd rest the plywood on the entire of the top bricks. it shd be ok ... :)

• SRC Member
bro.. just my opinion.. the tank is well support by the brick on both side but the center is hollow bro.. its only supported by your marine ply wood..

maybe you can add another piece of thicker and firmer marine plywood across top of the no 6th brick(starting from bottom) and laid bricks on this piece of marine plywood, then you stack another piece of marine ply wood on top of the bricks

aqua reef. did u click a link yesterday and your com hanged and now u are getting revenge?

• SRC Member

juz wondering but are you going to find 1.5ft long bricks. .

aquareef..whats the point of your design?? whats the extra row of bricks there for other than to add weight??? Are u planning on cementing the bricks?? or juz laying them there.

The massive trouble u are going to have to go through to transfer your tank from your rusting wrought iron stand to your new(if u ever build it) brick stand is going to put u off from ever getting another new tank next year. especially when the marine plywood gives way and your tank crashes into your sump.

There is a reason no one uses Bricks to make their stands.

• SRC Member

Spider, pls try to be more supportive ^_^:P

Devil, I thought of using bricks too, but there's a few points you must consider:-

1. It's look funny unless you give it a makeover.

2. Bricks are not stable unless they are bonded together by cement.

3. Weight factor, it'll be like building another structure in your house.

I think it's workable. Weigh out the advantages and disadvanges, and make your decision from there. I chose to stick to wrough iron, but this time, i'll try not to "splash around". :D

• SRC Member
Spider, pls try to be more supportive ^_^:P

Devil, I thought of using bricks too, but there's a few points you must consider:-

1. It's look funny unless you give it a makeover.

2. Bricks are not stable unless they are bonded together by cement.

3. Weight factor, it'll be like building another structure in your house.

I think it's workable. Weigh out the advantages and disadvanges, and make your decision from there. I chose to stick to wrough iron, but this time, i'll try not to "splash around". :D

iron would rust if itis not painted properly and ur tank must be free of splashes..

• SRC Member

hi, if you wanna use brick, you can only use it for the 2 main supporting legs...if you think you can bridge across the 2 legs by cementing bricks together, then think twice..the bridge will not be structural at all!!! concrete/cement/brick all fail miserably under tensile loading which is wat you are imposing with the tank on top of it! unless you are using reinforced concrete, or reinforced brick or having the brick to lay ontop of a tensile element (SS bar) then i'll work..GLASS is a weak tensile element especially if your tank base is made of really thin one!! i would settle for SS stand as the cost of laying brick can be quite hefty, and it waste a lot of manhours to lay it, in the end making it more expensive then SS!!