AquaC Skimmer users!

terryansimon

• SRC Member

You mean the injector or the air valve control?

I will unscrew both periodically to check for blockage. Been a few times with algae or debris choking up the injector port. A good poke with my tweezers and a short run under water will flush any material out. Air valve even easier- quick removal and rinse.

Anyway, just some experience to share- I get pretty good foam when I run my ev120 with the air valve totally UNSCREWED to max air in. No worries about blockage either with this.

Hope this helps

the injector.

hmm

I'll try to unscrew the airvalve and see results. :P

my Aquabee 3000 churns out a lot of foam the instant I turn it on! and one day it stopped foaming. scared the living shit out of me. until I realised that the inlet part of the Aquabee came into contact with the sump glass, thereby minimising water intake. also, a small piece of ulva was stuck at the injector. hehz. :P

• SRC Member

What other pumps have you used with the ev? Whats your size?

I used an eheim 1260 but it really over powers, I have to choke the air to nothing. The extrema is a tad bit underpowered, I have to max up the air. Is the abee good for you?

• SRC Member

I used a aquabee3000 for EV180 and found it to be underpowered. <_<

Now using a 1262 and WAH!! POWER skimming. :yeah::yeah:

Periodically cleaning of air valve and injector is essential to keep the skimmer running at the max efficiency. :P

Only problem i face is dry skimmate.. can;t get wet skimmate even after i set water level to 1" above internal plateform :pinch:

I get pretty good foam when I run my ev120 with the air valve totally UNSCREWED to max air in.

Wouldn't this risk the skimmer from overflowing should the water level rise??

I had water overflow out from the air valve when i set my water level too high, or after a black out :shock:

• SRC Member

Periodically cleaning of air valve and injector is essential to keep the skimmer running at the max efficiency. :P

Only problem i face is dry skimmate.. can;t get wet skimmate even after i set water level to 1" above internal plateform :pinch:

[

do u have a check valve attached between the inlet of skimmer and outlet of pump. I had the same problem last time.... ;)

I'm using an Aquabee 3000 for my EV-180. simply the best. lower wattage than the Eheim 1262/Rio 3100.

according to AquaC, they actually do not recommend using the 1262 with the EV-180. that was what they told me when I asked them that slightly over a year ago.

and oh, by the way, my other pumps have been the Rio 3100 and the current Aquabee 3000.

• SRC Member
do u have a check valve attached between the inlet of skimmer and outlet of pump. I had the same problem last time.... ;)

Nope no check valve

The pump is just beside the skimmer, both installed ext. :erm:

(See pic) ** setup when new, now using 1262

Watever the case, now using 1262 and much happier with it. :yeah:

Will see how it performs as time pasts, still have my aquabee3000 so i can change back anytime. :whistle

according to AquaC, they actually do not recommend using the 1262 with the EV-180. that was what they told me when I asked them that slightly over a year ago.

O is it? :blink: I asked them, and they told me it's ok. Just may have to tune down a bit as overpowering.

But in my case, it's working just beatifully :peace: More bubbles and foam... but still only dry foam.. can't get wet foam. <_<

Anyway, just some experience to share- I get pretty good foam when I run my ev120 with the air valve totally UNSCREWED to max air in. No worries about blockage either with this

Just tried it, it's A LOT noiser.... <_< But can see improvement in the bubbling :upsidedown: Thanks

post-17-1095518461.jpg

your poor results from the Aquabee may be a result from headloss. along with the elbows that you have. I deduce you have two elbows for the input of the Aquabee.

the pump is rated for 3000l/hr at zero head loss if I'm not mistaken.

besides, AB has lower wattage, lower heat emission, smaller footprint. which is why I decided to use it. coupled with the advise given to me by AquaC.

• SRC Member

Wouldn't this risk the skimmer from overflowing should the water level rise??

I had water overflow out from the air valve when i set my water level too high, or after a black out :shock:

Last time I run my EV240 with MD55.

The skimmate also very very dry.

I can never tune for wet skimmate even tough putting the water level above 1".

It is good if you like dry skimmate.

Bad thing, damp difficult to clean those shit. :lol:

• SRC Member

O dame... hate getting my hands dirty cleaning the skimmer every week <_< It stinks!!! :sick::sick:

your poor results from the Aquabee may be a result from headloss. along with the elbows that you have. I deduce you have two elbows for the input of the Aquabee

elboes at the input does not really affect the output of the pump. It's the elbows at the output side tt affect headloss. :unsure:

Moreover my pipes at 25mm, and only 1 reducer just before the pump to fit it ;)

besides, AB has lower wattage, lower heat emission, smaller footprint. which is why I decided to use it. coupled with the advise given to me by AquaC.

Have you touch yr AQ?? I find it very hot to the touch like MD55. As i mount all my pump ext. so heat transfer by my 1262 is less :whistle

its probably due to the height u place yr skimmer, as there will be some head loss from pump. Mine is only 7-8 inches apart ( from pump to inlet )

Yup, probably as auqabee has very low head. :eyeblur:

====> anyone skimming wet skimmate with AquaC skimmers??

hmm no photos.

will go take later in the day and let you guys see.

like I said, its somewhere in between watery and foamy. it still has a lot of foam in the collection cup, and its a bit watery once it settles at the bottom of the cup. but it is dry enough to collect dirt on the riser portion of the cup, and also the reaction chamber.

hmm, how could i miss this thread.

i'm currently using a ev-120 with an extrema 2500 pump. i cant get dry skimmate but can get good form, and skimmimg is rather fast.

what i experienced is what terryansimon had described. a lot of foam in the cup and watery once its settles down.

my configuration is such: if i allow full water flow(2500l/h), i cannot afford full intake of air. or else water will overflow from the drain plug(collection cup). in this case, i have to restrict the air valve to half way.

so anyone can teach me how to get really dry skimmate??

thanks

• SRC Member
hmm, how could i miss this thread.

i'm currently using a ev-120 with an extrema 2500 pump. i cant get dry skimmate but can get good form, and skimmimg is rather fast.

what i experienced is what terryansimon had described. a lot of foam in the cup and watery once its settles down.

my configuration is such: if i allow full water flow(2500l/h), i cannot afford full intake of air. or else water will overflow from the drain plug(collection cup). in this case, i have to restrict the air valve to half way.

thanks

may be you set the water level to high ?

It is suppose to be 1" below the riser chamber foe EV240.

I am not sure about EV120, may be also about the same.

• SRC Member

From my instructions:

Set water level to within 1" of the inner plateform.

I have mine just at the starting of the riser, any higher and i'll risk a flooding.

AquaC recommends that the air valve be fully open, and a few post back

Riot: Anyway, just some experience to share- I get pretty good foam when I run my ev120 with the air valve totally UNSCREWED to max air in. No worries about blockage either with this.

Tried it myself, and do see an increase in bubbles, but also noisy... and water spray at the opening <_<

this is my EV180 in my 2ft cube :sick::sick:

post-17-1095771738.jpg

• SRC Member

You'll have to follow the recommended pump for your skimmer.

Mine is rated for abt 3000L/hr, so my 1262 is just nice. Was using a aquabee3000, but it was too weak though suppose to be 3000L/hr also

tune down yr pump, and fully open yr air valve, fully open your output valve.

Then slowly increase the output for the pump, till the water level is just 1cm below the riser colume. Thereafter, tune with the output gate valve to your preference of wet/dry skimmate

** I can't get wet skimmate, the pic is after i added alittle water to wash down the dry foam at the cup

It is good if you like dry skimmate.

Bad thing, damp difficult to clean those shit. :lol:

Sugi,

Did u tee off your MD-55?

I have change my Weipro-9000 to MD-55 on my EV-240 cos the Weipro has not enough power to punch thru the water. Has been getting good dark Kopi-0 kau.

I did my maintainance last week, 10% water change and cleaning the skimmer chamber, skimmers start to overflows with very light colors water (about 2 litres) after it break in again after 24hours.

Anyone can advise why?

From my observation, this is a very sensitive skimmers. Any changes u make in the tank, height of bubbles in the chambers drop.

• SRC Member

Hi

I have the same config as you. EV120+extrema

What I do is strip the extrema's bottom casing off to get max flowrate, and remove my air valve completely. I get good strong foam that ends up in a hard dry top over into the collection cup. I dont need to restrict airflow for my extrema. Your extrema looks strangely powerful. :nc: