Founder And Admin's Tank

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yup AT,

can't wait to see it a year down the road..bet you're a perfectionist... I'm also constantly finding new and changing my aqua scaping...got almost 70% of how i've planned for it to look like...i think it's good that u had so many caves and drop offs..creates more space and looks more natural.. gonna try out the aqua scaping that u had in the left side of your tank..been thinking of having monti colonies but didn't know how to put them so that they'll stand out..i think letting them overhang from a cliff would look best...like yours...was just wondering if u spend 2- 3hours or more just to arrange your corals each time u get new ones...coz i do!!haha. back ache man

Yeah... I spend enough time aquascaping until I can get mild sunburn on my face from my MHs! ;)

I have many things in mind when I aquascape:

1. Natural looking to look like actual reefscapes and not a rockpile or rock wall.

2. Maximum water flow thru.

3. Many swim thru spaces for my fishes.

4. Maximum sandbed exposure so my DSB would function better.

5. Maximum space for optimum coral placements.

6. Minimum exposure of all intrusive 'artificial' stuff like powerheads, piping, wiring etc. Hence my black background and using rocks to hide my streams and using gray pvc pipes for my outlets with mininal intrusion into water.

I think when my corals grow out, there will be need for adjustments to be made... ;) As it is, I am gaining experience moving my SPS corals around to see how water circulation and different lighting intensities will affect their colouration and growth. Then it's time to leave them alone and admire their growth! :)

can't wait for mine tank to be good enuff too..so that i can just sit back and enjoy and start worrying abt the aqua scaping and the positioning of each and every corals....heh..all the best for your tank

"Save a reef, grow your own"

• 5 weeks later...

Update: my acros have begun to show some colour after the browning out period when I changed out my radium for ushio blue. Generally, I believed it was the short photoperiod and low calcium levels from my heavy sps coral load and plentiful coralline algae that caused a slowdown in growth the last 2 weeks.

I have since increased my total daily photoperiod from about 7 hours to about 11 hours now with full intensity of about 8 hours.

Changes noticed: a brown colony with a purple tinge has rapidly changed to bright pink! :) Colours across the board have shown a change for the better. Acro frags and montis are growing very fast... and my calcium levels have taken a beating. Till I upgrade my current calcium reactor to a huge one soon, my daily dosing of vinegar-spiked kalk is unable to cope with the rapid consumption of calcium and alk.

I am dosing calcium chloride daily now to bring up my calcium levels.

Here's a top view just taken of my tank! :)

post-22-1064855833.jpg

Another shot... Bought a big table acro from PR, 051003. Turquoise green body/body, light purple tips.

Also bought a slight smaller table acro with light pink body and light purple tips!

Bought a big but slightly damaged orange Lobophyllia.

post-22-1065381196.jpg

Whole tank shot... *warning - large pix!*

A little grainy with some colour imbalance & overexposure as left side is using Radium (white with tinge of blue) and right side is Ushio Blue (very blue). It's extremely hard to photograph with a digital cam with these lights! :pirate:

I believe this is my first whole tank shot from me in a very very long time! :)

post-22-1065381407.jpg

Left Foreground: Pink Pocilopora eydouxi that turned light brown, back to orange and now with tips turning back pink again!

Middle Foreground: Bright purple encrusting Monti from PR, 051003.

Left Background: Brown birdsnest frag has grown to more than 5 times its size and now turning pink! :D

Middle back: new Staghorn acquisition from PR 051003.

Middle: Turquoise Staghorn from PR, now darker. Just in front is a Tort frag with purple polyps.

Middle Foreground: light brown acro table with purplish hue (at a corner) from LCK110, now entirely pink.

Right Background: Brown Tort has become bluish green. Growth tips are brighter green.

post-22-1065382379.jpg

• SRC Member

Love your blue coralline algae. ;)

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member

AT,

Need a little coraline frag.. Do you mind if I scrape a little of your blue coralline...

The Pink and Red coraline seeded from Tanzy is spreading well.