Help Needed............

i am just a beginner in reef keeping.........and i am still young....may i noe wat shld i do if my water evaporates??i dun have an auto water top up system....and do i add water into my tank and then add salt or wat???

:thanks:

:off::off::off::off::off:

BtW , may i noe how old are those ppl tt reef keep??i also dunno leh i am just 15 and i dunno if i am too young to start or not......

• SRC Member

I started at 15 too :) I wanted to start since Pri School, but was never allowed to. First tank was a total disaster.

At that time, there was no internet, no forum, no one to ask, only depended on LFS owners and books from the library. Unfortunately the first LFS owner i spoke to gave me very wrong info, and my tank could never really recover.

After moving house, I started a new tank after intensive reading and the tank was so much more successful.

Me and my mom are guilty for causing the death of countless Regal Tangs. :P

So my advice is to read and read and read. The WWW resource on Marine Aquaria is inexhaustible.

my first tank was also ruined by a shop keeper in jurong west ......i lost faith in reef keeping until todae......i wanna have a better tank...but i cannot spend too much money on it.....too bad...i am not earning any money now.........but can anyone help me in thinking on how to have all thing bought with $ :cry2: 2k???

hmmm........then wat bout the salinity of water???

As the water in your tank evaporates, the salinity increases.

Why? Amount of salt in the tank is still the same even though water volume is lower. That is why you should only add declorinated fresh water, to bring down your salinity.

Adding salt water every time the water level goes down will only cause the specific gravity of your tank water to go up. ;)

i wanna have a better tank...but i cannot spend too much money on it.....too bad...i am not earning any money now.........but can anyone help me in thinking on how to have all thing bought with $ :cry2: 2k???

Simple. Buy only what you can afford.

You may want to start with a simple FOWLR tank. These are not too demanding on the pocket. Don't need to worry about the fancy lights and chiller.

Convert to a reef system when you can dig up the extra money.

As the water in your tank evaporates, the salinity increases.

Why? Amount of salt in the tank is still the same even though water volume is lower. That is why you should only add declorinated fresh water, to bring down your salinity.

Adding salt water every time the water level goes down will only cause the specific gravity of your tank water to go up. ;)

Oh no...all along these years I have never once dechlorinated my water. Amazing why nothing died....... :unsure:

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/