Tried many ways but still fail to control the cyno

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member

Preciesely ;)

When stiring up , getting ready to disslove, Lots of foam>~!!! <_<

Jus tested my N03 , and its on the low side, but trying to make it to 0, now its showing 5mg

Suspect Its my high P04

When I set up my new tank a month ago, I bought salt from Rainbow too.

I had no choice as most of the LFS closed. It was disastrous salts.

From then onwards, I always stock up a reputable salts brand. ;)

2 weeks after setting up, cyno break out and I quickly put my FR with rowaphos into action. Within days, they are gone.

After 4 weeks only I can say my water/tank has matured.

Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, nitrate 0 and phosphate 0. :rolleyes:

This is a very quick reaction and i was rather surprised with the fast cycle.

I depend heavily on my skimmer to do all the work. Beckett skimmer overdriven by Iwaki pump.

Do invest in a good skimmer as it will help you to reduce your later trouble. ;)

:evil: , so its the salt.. <_<;)

anw, updates....on my tank

after running my skimmer, skimmer produce lots of unsightful :sick: yuke...good sign :) and found out that the cynao it is not spreading anymore,but still remains on the LR's

so my Qns, is how do i get the cynao out of the LRs,Any methods for the cynao to peel off? :blink::thanks:

• SRC Member
:evil: , so its the salt.. <_<;)

anw, updates....on my tank

after running my skimmer, skimmer produce lots of unsightful :sick: yuke...good sign :) and found out that the cynao it is not spreading anymore,but still remains on the LR's

so my Qns, is how do i get the cynao out of the LRs,Any methods for the cynao to peel off? :blink::thanks:

siphon them out..

added sugar...no effect..and i can see more growth in it....that day it stop after i on my skimmer, now, despite the skimmer running , there is more **UNknown** algale... ;) a pic of it..

Wad is that BTW , where the arrow is pointing at..i have lots of them after the algale growth :blink:

post-73-1100605230.jpg

• SRC Member

After looking and staring at the pics, I think the algae might be dinoflagellates. Because i saw bubbles being trapped inside the algae so i ruled out byopsis and derbesia. The only two left is dinoflagellates and cyano. And since it is not cyano, so might be dino then... the air bubbles trapped are actually oxygen bubbles... these algae according to Julian Sprung's guide book is toxic to invertebrates and fishes.. and they are present in large numbers especially during a bloom and judging from the rocks you seem to be under attack.

If after reading all these spells like end of the world to you, well.. here is the cure.. raise the pH to 8.4 or higher via kalkwasser additions.. and will cause the bloom to crash within abt a week.. this method is tested and provided by Peter Wilkens..

I hope all these help.. but if possible, provide me with better pics.. so i can identify clearer right now i can only judge from these pics provided.. hope my info for you helps.. :lol:

• SRC Member

The more i looked at the algae, the more i am convinced that they are dinoflagellates. because of the rust-green colour they give me... but just use that cure prescribed..will help.. though i never tried before.. but Peter Wilkens.. can trust him la... :lol: but remember to get Seachem's Kalk much more reliable!!! :lol:

• SRC Member
Nothing eats cyano... not even sea hares.

Don't get overly frustrated about cyano.... I have dived in spots where the whole seabed is filled with wavy strands of cyano!!! :sick:

You not only have to target just phosphates when fighting cyano... they are known to thrive in nutrient-heavy water... so its a water-quality issue.

Either you are lacking in good filtration or have too much of livestock overloading or overfeeding.

Get a good skimmer, practice good water husbandry, get your nutrient levels low... they will help.

Once the fuel runs out.... the cyano or other nuisance algae will cease.

Its a cycle that will pass... albeit quite a long frustrating one... hang in there.

AT

GB, follow AT's advice. Definitely a water quality issue... get a good skimmer, improve water flow...etc...

Get Paid To Read Emails. Free To Join Now!

http://www.emailcashpro.com/?r=okdk11