Tried many ways but still fail to control the cyno

Hi, bro and sis, My tank have been cycling for the past 3 months as most of u knw after the massive crash , so this is the 4th month and i am adding in LS after checking all Water PAr is correct and revulent...

But for the pass 2 months , i have been visited by MR.cynaobacterial and he isnt going of but conlonizing on my tank and My upper surface on my LRs till it is too unsightful... :sick: now , the contrast of my tank is mainly brown ....... :(

jus tring to combat it and stop growth by 50% water change with a new brand of salt , i intend to try , lots of methods are impose by he still decided not to go scram...did a change in rowaphos in FR to aquaPhosbut still the same...

Manual scrabbing daily cous see until not happy... Tried, reducing my MH to 7hrsBut to no avild...

All failed and MR cynao is still leaving happily in my tank and spreading day by day...Got pissed of....

add a 3000L PH and point at the LRs but still the same old brownly LR....it seems like a chocolate bar from far...

Asking anyone who knows abt any other methods i can get rid of MR cynao..

Jus hopping to get back my 3mths full coraline algale colour...but now, its ruin :(

Pls advice :thanks: a million

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member

yr flow thruogh fr for rowa correct?

it maybe too low

i don't know if my flow is correct but according to the person i bought it from....from the wae the rowaphos particles fluff...mine shold be rite and i'm using roughly 200L/hr through my fbf1000 resun fr

This is my personal experience,

diatom and red stuff surge at 3rd month too, after reading here and there,

1) start AZ-NO3 dosing

2) reduce feeding to once every 2 days,

3) astrea snail (they crawl over the red stuff and i think they eat them)

4) change 25% water after 4th week of AZ-NO3;

5) dose carbonate and calcium (hope that coralline growth to subpress brown, green algae)

5) filter top up water with poly-filter and carbon

Have not see those red stuff since, well, at least 3 months pass.

Hope they make sense, comments and advise are greatly appreciated!

signature2.jpg

Nothing eats cyano... not even sea hares.

Don't get overly frustrated about cyano.... I have dived in spots where the whole seabed is filled with wavy strands of cyano!!! :sick:

You not only have to target just phosphates when fighting cyano... they are known to thrive in nutrient-heavy water... so its a water-quality issue.

Either you are lacking in good filtration or have too much of livestock overloading or overfeeding.

Get a good skimmer, practice good water husbandry, get your nutrient levels low... they will help.

Once the fuel runs out.... the cyano or other nuisance algae will cease.

Its a cycle that will pass... albeit quite a long frustrating one... hang in there.

AT

flipping thru Julian Sprung's invert book last night....read that the blue legged hermit eats cynobacteria...but how much and how effective ....not too sure...

maybe throw in 20 of them and see got effect or not :evil:

Nothing eats cyano... not even sea hares.

Don't get overly frustrated about cyano.... I have dived in spots where the whole seabed is filled with wavy strands of cyano!!! :sick:

You not only have to target just phosphates when fighting cyano... they are known to thrive in nutrient-heavy water... so its a water-quality issue.

Either you are lacking in good filtration or have too much of livestock overloading or overfeeding.

Get a good skimmer, practice good water husbandry, get your nutrient levels low... they will help.

Once the fuel runs out.... the cyano or other nuisance algae will cease.

Its a cycle that will pass... albeit quite a long frustrating one... hang in there.

AT

Thanks so much ppeps and AT for yr helpful and informative suggestions..apperciate it tons. :)

yea..Opps fogot to tell u that my LS are jus 4brains , 1 elephant ear and my yuma collection , No fishes at all for the time being as i am stopping on stocking now cous of this issue...

Got to admit here that i stop skimming for the pass 2mths...saving for an Aqua C...so i replace it with water change but somehow, its still crove and groove over my LR's :sick:

yea..agree with this most of wad say abt , practice good water husbandry,and getting your nutrient levels low... But i did that by doing regulary water change more frequently...

i think the key thing here is low nutrient level..Will try as hard as possible to combat these frustrating and yet unsightful MR.cynao

Thanks once again

Rdgs:edwan :peace:

flipping thru Julian Sprung's invert book last night....read that the blue legged hermit eats cynobacteria...but how much and how effective ....not too sure...

I have heard it too... :P but, i dun think it willl work as effective as controling the nutrients in the water , Its faster that way...But in fact..cynao is a bacterial, no LS would like to eat it..so i'am not sure abt this part here...jus got my experience abt the Sea cuke which AT advice me too... :thanks: DB for the suggestion...Will try it to prevent any clickof the cycle to start again..but not to combat it at the moment right now as it is too serious and i am afraid the next day i wake up cant even see my LS...and i will be :sick::D

Sea cukes will not eat cyanobacteria, in fact, they will avoid the patches of cyano and even climb up walls if your sandbed is covered with cyano!

They only help to stir up the uppermost layer of sand and help turn it around.

Try to improve your water circulation too... if there a lack of current causing pockets of 'dead spots' in the water, the lower PH in these dead spots will cause the release of binded phosphates from the calcareous sand and rocks that will feed the cyanobacteria.

AT

Try to improve your water circulation too... if there a lack of current causing pockets of 'dead spots' in the water, the lower PH in these dead spots will cause the release of binded phosphates from the calcareous sand and rocks that will feed the cyanobacteria.

AT

Catch your words....got it... :) starting to understand the whole cycle of it.. :thanks:

So i am troubled now as i dun knw where to start off with...Either introducing current or, ????confussed

Got to thank you for overcoming my doubts and answering my quries. :peace::thanks:

Do an all-out attack!! Aerial & naval bombardment with ground blitz!!!

Just do the above as we have advised you.... they will do major damage... and if all else fails, you can switch off your lights for max 3 days after a major cleanup effort. It may prevent the cyano from blooming (but watch your corals as they may bleach due to sudden intense light exposure again).

A last resort nuke is to use chemicals that targets cyanbacteria but you may have casualties.

And get your skimmer working soon! ;)

AT

• SRC Member

I've read somewhere that there are only two types of reef tanks with ref to cynaobacterial.... those who have it and its gone ; & those who are gonna get it. I think you'll just have to go thru' the cyno phase... for some ppl it can be about 1 month others maybe 6 months... a mature tank will definitely help hence it seems to strike for new tank setups.

I had mine for for about 5 months, hair algae and all... I always thought it was due to the canister filtration I was using... it was until I added some PhosGuard into a FR tt it started to clear. Also at that time, some unidentified red algae started to grow and before long all the cyno and hair algae started to disappear magically.

I think its due to the confluence of both of these... since you already have a FR why don't you try to buy some algae(red or green) and put these into your tank.. it'll definitely help as you don't have any fishes yet,... the plants will take up the nutrients... just watch out for your pH.

best to you.

• SRC Member

You may want to try to inject ozone using ozone generator into your sump - they polishes your water and help to starve the cyno - but need to pass the water thru carbon to remove the ozone before the water get back to your main tank, also need to watch the dosage.

The other way is chemical like potassium permaganate(think i spell the second part wrongly) or Hydrogen Peroxide but need to be very careful on dosage and administration. (Expert use only....)

Hope it helps - Jim

Do an all-out attack!! Aerial & naval bombardment with ground blitz!!!

Just do the above as we have advised you.... they will do major damage... and if all else fails, you can switch off your lights for max 3 days after a major cleanup effort. It may prevent the cyano from blooming (but watch your corals as they may bleach due to sudden intense light exposure again).

A last resort nuke is to use chemicals that targets cyanbacteria but you may have casualties.

And get your skimmer working soon! ;)

AT

:lol:

OKie....do as wad every1 had told....

mayday mayday !!! combat Moblilisation in action..

will try out this steps and see if there is any improvement...WIll keep ya guys updated... :):thanks: a million

rdgs:edawn :peace:

• SRC Member

yeap....saw with my own eyes blue legged hermit eating cyno.... but just having them might not be enough, i had to cut back on stocking (in fact gave up some fishes) and feeding...then slowly stock up again....

• SRC Member

I was told by Henry that sea hares eat cyno... i read up and the web does not indiciate that, but i tried, it works. not sure whether i very lucky or my skimmer really doing its work, but after 3 days, all my cyno gone. this is my experience.

getting bad to worst....Dun knw why but my prata are expanding...but on the other hand, i cant stand the sight of it, it is spreading to the back glass...serious...

i cant do anything now as my hand cant touch the salt water, jus got 2 JAbs on my hand so cant get in contact with salt water at all .. :(:cry2:

• SRC Member
a pic of the Cynao rock...almost 99.99% of my LR's are like that :angry::(

Before that, it was 99% instead of CYnao but coraline.

:sick:

it looks terrible man...

i dunno wat to say and wat to advise..words from the brilliant reefers already summed up every single thing that can be done...

eeerrrrmmm....i can just offer my condolences...

:sick:

it looks terrible man...

i dunno wat to say and wat to advise..words from the brilliant reefers already summed up every single thing that can be done...

eeerrrrmmm....i can just offer my condolences...

yea...tkx..

almost all my LR's are like that...tried shotting a PH against it, and the next day, come back.... :(

Can you take a closer shot?

It doesn't really look like cyanobacteria. Quite long stringy strands almost like some kind of hair algae.

Is it hard or slimy? Easy to remove by using a finger to swipe it? Or you have to pull it?