Resun Chiller - CL650

Melvyn Tan

1)is 1250 suffiecient flowrate for the cl650, i thought menu say need pump > 1800l/h and 1250 is only 1200l/H.

2)what is the effect of using an over powerful pump or an under power pump ?

Based on my experience. It really need a bit of fine tuning to get it right.

Too low flow - the chiller cool down the water inside its compartment faster than that of the tank, therefore the temp at the chiller will be much lower than that of tank. However, the chiller will turn on less often as it will reach the preset temp faster. Ultimately, the tank will still be cool by adjusting the calibration temp.

Too high flow - the chiller temp will be closer to that of tank, but it will turn on more frequent and longer, as higher temp water is coming in faster. If the chiller is powerful enough to handle that load, then it's ok. If not, then it's really stressing it hard.

Beside the flow rate, the tank size is also part of the factor, plus the ambient temp.

So, 1250L/h pump is maybe some where in between. Larger of course better, but paying more, and bigger in size. In fact perhaps no chiller manufacturer could specifically state the exact flow rate to use, but only the min/max, because the tank size and ambient temp component remains as variables. Also, not forgetting the physical delivery rate of the pump itself.

As such, it's always good to put in a valves along the line, and fine tune it.

Our sharing could only be a good reference to u. U still have to decide based on the budget and room u can afford for the pump. And of course the most fun part will be to experiment and get things right.

Cheers!

Items left...

Ehliem Wet & Dry 2223

Prizm protein skimmer

Coralife UV

Resun 650 chiller

Giving up hobby, due to family commitment.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member

Good Cheese ! (hehhehe sounds like its good cheese)....to further add-on, i use eheim 1250 running from sump to chiller with only bends and no head(s), though it is rated as 1200 l/hr as compared to other overated pumps it works very consistantly and fine. With 1250 or extrema it worked very well (tried and tested)...for eheim 1250 chiller kicks in about 2 hrs and takes about 45 min to 1hr (max) to chill my 4x2x2 and sump of 3x1.5x1.5 (water containment halved). For extrema almost the same - in a different tank config, higher head but for eheim longer distance about 5-6m in all..

My Beautiful ANGEL - Matsushima Nanako

Equipment List for 4x2x2 Tank & 3x1.5x1.5 Sump

Hagen 802 x 2, Tunze 6060, Arcadia T5 (54W x 8), Eheim 1260 (return) Eheim 1250 (Chiller), Aquabee 300 x 2 (Feed)

H&S 150-F2001 (850l Skimmer), H&S A110-F2000 (400l Skimmer), H&S 110-F1000 (1000l Sulphur/Nitrate Filter), H&S 150-F2000IA (800l Calcium Reactor)

Coralife 3X (UV Steriliser), I-Aquatic IF 312 (Fluidised Reactor), Kent Kalk Delivery, Resun CL650, Pinpoint ORP & PH Meters & Wireless Thermometer

4x2x2 Tank Thread

• SRC Member
Good Cheese ! (hehhehe sounds like its good cheese)....to further add-on, i use eheim 1250 running from sump to chiller with only bends and no head(s), though it is rated as 1200 l/hr as compared to other overated pumps it works very consistantly and fine. With 1250 or extrema it worked very well (tried and tested)...for eheim 1250 chiller kicks in about 2 hrs and takes about 45 min to 1hr (max) to chill my 4x2x2 and sump of 3x1.5x1.5 (water containment halved). For extrema almost the same - in a different tank config, higher head but for eheim longer distance about 5-6m in all..

what is the temp you set for the chiller to kick in ?

my resun cl650 new model only 5 days old. i am using ehiem 1060(old model ) 2280l/h pump from sump to chiller to tank, also serve as a return pump. chiller set at 25. my tank is 4 x 1.5 x 2 and sump is 2 x 1 only.

found my chiller kick in quite often. tank show 26. chiller can go from 27 to 25 and still tank show 26 . :angry: in 10 to 20 mins time. chiller will go up to 27 again kick in then cool to 25 in a matter of 3 to 4 min and still tank show 26 and so on.........

1) should i get a dedicated pump for the chiller alone, if yes ehiem what model ?

2) what temp to set chiller .

3) i ever try to tally chiller temp with tank temp, but chiller temp always fluctuate quite fast and tank temp quite constant.

4) i suspect volume of water passing main tank not enough mine only 5 x , others say should be 8 to 14 x ,maybe that is the problem ?

what is the temp you set for the chiller to kick in ?

my resun cl650 new model only 5 days old. i am using ehiem 1060(old model ) 2280l/h pump from sump to chiller to tank, also serve as a return pump. chiller set at 25. my tank is 4 x 1.5 x 2 and sump is 2 x 1 only.

found my chiller kick in quite often. tank show 26. chiller can go from 27 to 25 and still tank show 26 . :angry: in 10 to 20 mins time. chiller will go up to 27 again kick in then cool to 25 in a matter of 3 to 4 min and still tank show 26 and so on.........

1) should i get a dedicated pump for the chiller alone, if yes ehiem what model ?

2) what temp to set chiller .

3) i ever try to tally chiller temp with tank temp, but chiller temp always fluctuate quite fast and tank temp quite constant.

4) i suspect volume of water passing main tank not enough mine only 5 x , others say should be 8 to 14 x ,maybe that is the problem ?

Really not an expert, but just share experience for your reference to compare.

Could 2280L/H through the chiller too high flow? As such the chiller should ON for a longer time till it reach its preset temp. Urs is ON-3/4min, OFF-10min. Sound OK. Perhaps your tanks ambient Temp is quite high. Have u ever measured the tank temp without chiller, just for reference? Of course, not now with all the coral in.

Just share with u how my chiller response.

My tank temp w/o chiller is 32-33 with all lights/pumps ON.

Chiller Cal temp (press and hold the SET button for seconds) = 0

Chiller Preset temp = 27

Limiting the 1200L/H pump to about 30-50% at inlet to pump

Tank temp locked at 27.5

Chiller cycle:-

OFF at 27 (chiller readout)

Rise guadually to 29 (chiller readout) for a period of 15-20min

ON at 29 (chiller readout)

Cool till 27 (chiller readout) for a period of about 3min

As stated, thoughout the chiller cycle, the tank readout is locked at 27.5.

I also wondering how did the Chiller sense that changes of 2degree, where keeping the tank locked at 27.5. Could the rise contributed by the pump?

From you description, it seems that you set chiller to 25. But is your cal temp set at 0? This will bring the chiller temp close to the tank.

Nevertheless, your chiller seems working just like mine.(Ha, ha if both of us sound similar then it should be ok, I guess) So dun worry. The fluctuation seems to be the norm of how the chiller operates for it to ON/OFF. As long as your tank temp locked at the desire temp, then everything should be fine, and the chiller should say to have up to specs. Ultimately, the job of the chiller is to maintain your tank temp, isn't it?

Perhaps, IMHO u should worry if the tank temp fluctuates, or the chiller ON forever, but tank temp is as high.

Any bros here differ?

Cheers!

Items left...

Ehliem Wet & Dry 2223

Prizm protein skimmer

Coralife UV

Resun 650 chiller

• SRC Member

Really not an expert, but just share experience for your reference to compare.

Could 2280L/H through the chiller too high flow? As such the chiller should ON for a longer time till it reach its preset temp. Urs is ON-3/4min, OFF-10min. Sound OK. Perhaps your tanks ambient Temp is quite high. Have u ever measured the tank temp without chiller, just for reference? Of course, not now with all the coral in.

Just share with u how my chiller response.

My tank temp w/o chiller is 32-33 with all lights/pumps ON.

Chiller Cal temp (press and hold the SET button for seconds) = 0

Chiller Preset temp = 27

Limiting the 1200L/H pump to about 30-50% at inlet to pump

Tank temp locked at 27.5

Chiller cycle:-

OFF at 27 (chiller readout)

Rise guadually to 29 (chiller readout) for a period of 15-20min

ON at 29 (chiller readout)

Cool till 27 (chiller readout) for a period of about 3min

As stated, thoughout the chiller cycle, the tank readout is locked at 27.5.

I also wondering how did the Chiller sense that changes of 2degree, where keeping the tank locked at 27.5. Could the rise contributed by the pump?

From you description, it seems that you set chiller to 25. But is your cal temp set at 0? This will bring the chiller temp close to the tank.

Nevertheless, your chiller seems working just like mine.(Ha, ha if both of us sound similar then it should be ok, I guess) So dun worry. The fluctuation seems to be the norm of how the chiller operates for it to ON/OFF. As long as your tank temp locked at the desire temp, then everything should be fine, and the chiller should say to have up to specs. Ultimately, the job of the chiller is to maintain your tank temp, isn't it?

Perhaps, IMHO u should worry if the tank temp fluctuates, or the chiller ON forever, but tank temp is as high.

Any bros here differ?

Cheers!

imo to let the chiller run for say 30 mins then stop for 1hr is more energy saving then cut in now cut out then cut in again 10 mins later. the cut in will draw higher amp to kick start the compressor and motor. waste energy.waste money.

are you using 1250 eheim ? cause melvyn say using that chiller can rest for 2 hrs and then need 45mins to cool down again. how come yours different.

my flow much faster but still same effect as yours, then i might as well get a slower one and save money. :angry:

imo to let the chiller run for say 30 mins then stop for 1hr is more energy saving then cut in now cut out then cut in again 10 mins later. the cut in will draw higher amp to kick start the compressor and motor. waste energy.waste money.

are you using 1250 eheim ? cause melvyn say using that chiller can rest for 2 hrs and then need 45mins to cool down again. how come yours different.

my flow much faster but still same effect as yours, then i might as well get a slower one and save money. :angry:

To what I know, not quite true on the energy wasting part in regards to the numbers of kick ON/OFF. Especially for reactive load like motor and compressor. Or maybe I'm wrong, but nevermind.

As mentioned, I used to tune the flow to about 30%+ less with the 1250. And yesterday, I open it full to see the effect. Seems that the chiller ON lesser. Will observe and see. Hence, I believe there must be an optimum setting, but must play around and fine tune just like the skimmer.

Cheers!

Items left...

Ehliem Wet & Dry 2223

Prizm protein skimmer

Coralife UV

Resun 650 chiller

• SRC Member

To what I know, not quite true on the energy wasting part in regards to the numbers of kick ON/OFF. Especially for reactive load like motor and compressor. Or maybe I'm wrong, but nevermind.

As mentioned, I used to tune the flow to about 30%+ less with the 1250. And yesterday, I open it full to see the effect. Seems that the chiller ON lesser. Will observe and see. Hence, I believe there must be an optimum setting, but must play around and fine tune just like the skimmer.

Cheers!

was told by henry that to rest for 10-20min and run 3-4 mins is ok.

and is more energy saving than running for 1 hr than stop two hr.

dont have to guess any more, the power bill will reveal everything.

• 1 month later...
  • SRC Member

Hehehe.....some users experienced using the chiller with kicking ins about 15-20 mins time frame and chilling about 5-10 mins and some experienced kicking in about 1 hr and chilling at 30-45mins...

Well as long as the chiller chills, guess it is ok.

To be very honest....whilst during Dec 04 my chiller seems to kick in less often - like 2 plus hours before chilling starts, just recently the chilling happens to kick in at intervals between 15-20 mins and chilling about 5-10 mins (dependant of the intervals)... Seems like the chiller has a mind of its own...tank temperature remains consistant at 27 deg.

Have been told that there may not be CL650 model anymore cause the mould "broke" in the manufacturing plant...a new model will be up soon.

Hagen 802 x 2, Tunze 6060, Arcadia T5 (54W x 8), Eheim 1260 (return) Eheim 1250 (Chiller), Aquabee 300 x 2 (Feed)

H&S 150-F2001 (850l Skimmer), H&S A110-F2000 (400l Skimmer), H&S 110-F1000 (1000l Sulphur/Nitrate Filter), H&S 150-F2000IA (800l Calcium Reactor)

Coralife 3X (UV Steriliser), I-Aquatic IF 312 (Fluidised Reactor), Kent Kalk Delivery, Resun CL650, Pinpoint ORP & PH Meters & Wireless Thermometer

4x2x2 Tank Thread

• SRC Member

Cheers!

cheese...u r very right on the part about having to tune the flowrate to an optimum level for chiller to not kick in so often

actually, for me i guess i'm not concerned with chiller kick in often elec bill go up

rather, i'm afraid kick in so often will damage the parts!...although i'm no expert on chiller technology but then its jus worrying to see chiller kick in so often!! :blink:

btw, jus to share some optimum flowrates i found with this chiller

at 25degrees, i found that it doesn't kick in often with a flowrate of 2500L/hr

at 27, flowrate is 2000L/hr

this is my experience and doesn't necessary reflect a absolute truth

• SRC Member

Flowrate does really plays a part in the kicking-in....but normally chiller is supposedly to last you at the very most 3 yrs and parts will spoil so its time to change the chiller. So ensuring the longevity calls for careful and calculated usage....for me i guess if it can last a year i will post it on the net for bidding starting at S$1

4x2x2 Tank Thread

• 3 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

one of the prob of the cl-650 am experiencing is a super loud sound when the chiller cut off.... but sometimes there isnt the sound.... hmm anione experiencing the same prob... just bought it so if there a prob i wana hunt dn the shop to repair it for me liao.... LOl

• SRC Member

the sound is like someone just loaded a gun lOl.....

• SRC Member

Mime is new batch, as quiet as I need to put my hand behind chiller to know whether chiller is running or not.

Using HF20 to drive Chiller and return. Set @ 23 and kick in once every hour and run for 15 mins.

One of the best equipment I bough for.

Life is like a peice of Uncured Live Rock [ from LFS ], you never know what you gonna get.........

Ocean Gump

• SRC Member

the loud band is pretty normal, guess all cl-650 does that, nothin to worry abt ;)

btw, if everyone has doubts abt ur chiller, pls play ard with ur flowrates... fyi, my flowrate do not reach 2000l/h maybe not even 1500L :)... flowrate could be the culprit... and 1 more thing to take note is to allow enuff allowance at the back of the chiller for the hot air to escape.... therefore, i wld recommend u not to place it directly beside ur tank and allow at least 3~4 inches at the back from ur wall....

btw, do u all noe ur chillers can double up as a 'heater' to heat up clothes, shoes n socks if u need them to dry up faster? ;)

• SRC Member
btw, do u all noe ur chillers can double up as a 'heater' to heat up clothes, shoes n socks if u need them to dry up faster? ;)

that's is why my chiller is positioned to blow hot air to my shoe rack :)

Life is like a peice of Uncured Live Rock [ from LFS ], you never know what you gonna get.........

Ocean Gump

• 1 month later...
  • SRC Member

Some updates - chiller still functioning well with no problems, temperature consistant. Friend's set of almost 1 year no report of problems as yet. My set of about 5 months (together with another friend's) no problems reported.

Here's a lead to another user, Jireh in his Shop's Tank

4x2x2 Tank Thread

• SRC Member
Some updates - chiller still functioning well with no problems, temperature consistant. Friend's set of almost 1 year no report of problems as yet. My set of about 5 months (together with another friend's) no problems reported.

Here's a lead to another user, Jireh in his Shop's Tank

Where did you get your CL650 chiller, how much? Does it come with warranty?