Sodium Bicarbonate Bought Fr Pharmacy

wedgee

• SRC Member

Hi guys, i found this interesting bottle of Sodium Bicarbonate for sale very cheaply in a pharmacy, and thought it might be a better substitute for KH builders (am i right? Cause i recall tanzy mentioning it as a strong alternative), if it were pure enough for reef use...

Tink I'll call the company up (local, so shld be easy) and ask them if there are any other impurities in it...

post-7-1062071378.jpg

• SRC Member

Hmmm does the Seachem Reef Builder provide these elements then? And wat abt those of us who are using the lab grade Sodium Bicarbonates? Are they lacking in these chemicals too?

Will a shortage of Carbonate and Borate affect the water chemistry other than being inadequate for buffering? Will a water change help to balance them up?

Thanx!!!

• SRC Member

Sodium Bicarbonate is baking powder. It is not only used for baking but can be use for other purpose.

If you get stung by a wasp, bee or anything that makes is swollen, mix baking powder with a little water and apply to the swell. It helps to reduce the swell.

I have use it for wasp and bee stung before. It works.

• SRC Member

Hmmmm so wats the conclusion? Is this bottle of Sodium Bicarbonate free from the additives of common houshold used baking soda? And does anyone have the answers to the Borates etc question?

Wah instead of knowing wat to do with the bottle, i am now more hesitant to put it into my reef.... :unsure:

• SRC Member

Glad to hear some actual experience, Robe... So u are using food grade Baking Soda for yr KH maintenance? How are the results, have u seen any abnormal happenings in yr tank?

If food grade baking soda is ok, then i guess no harm in trying this pharmaceutical use product?

Need a confirmation here...dont wana kill me tank...scary