Moorish Idol

• SRC Member

*sigh* :(

I know i shouldnt have bought one... but I did... cos it was feeding... but now its no longer feeding...

Just like to see if anyone here has had success with this creature...

Some background info: He's about a week old, Picking Sporadically from rocks, (doubt he gets anything from the pecking... ) He's not under constant aggression, he has not caught ich (phew), and his streamer has grown 1cm already. But somehow he just refuses to eat! :cry2:

I've tried FLOODING the water with Tetra Marin Flake, Mysis and Julian Sprungs Purple Sea Veggies, but he wont even look at whatever i offer, and my current inhabitants have bulging tummies that look like they're going to burst any minute...

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can tempt him to feed?

Rumour has suggested Spectrum... shall try to get hold of it soon.

:thanks:

I think many reefers in the US have abandoned the idea of keeping Moorish Idols and have classified them as 'hard to keep' species.

Perhaps we should follow their cue and leave these creatures in the sea where they can prosper by not buying them and therefore the LFS would not want to stock them.

Along with doctor fishes (cleaner wrasses).

• SRC Member

It's not easy but since you've already bought it, can try my method. I bought my pellet eating MI some 5 months ago from SL. Since then, no problem eating pellet and MS in my tank. Last month, it suddenly stopped eating and stayed in a corner. I thought bye bye. I fished it out and put it into my sump with lots of pods (Cope and Amphi). The next day, all my pods were gone and the MI started swimming again. After 2 days, I put it back to my main tank and it again continue to take MS and pellet. Till now still OK.

I think depends on luck alot but water condition cannot be compromised.

I think (marine) therefore I am

I think many reefers in the US have abandoned the idea of keeping Moorish Idols and have classified them as 'hard to keep' species.

Perhaps we should follow their cue and leave these creatures in the sea where they can prosper by not buying them and therefore the LFS would not want to stock them.

Along with doctor fishes (cleaner wrasses).

AT is right , Morish Idols should be left in the wild as they're not even for the experienced aquarist to master. We may know alot about reef keeping and sorts but fish behaviour especially the elusive Morish and it's eating habits are hard to decipher. I don't see much of them even in the public aquariums. The Hawaiians worship these fishes and treat them as scared in their rituals , so maybe thats why they're not meant to be caught but set free instead! ;)

• SRC Member

Guess I cant get past the Feeding Hurdle... It was eating, rather savagely even at the LFS. Now it just sulks in a corner disapprovingly as though lamenting that his tank mates are such feeding beggars...

Fu3L> Force feeding is already in use in Major Aquaria for fishes that just wont feed... but it wont in the context of a home Aquarium cos we dont have the expertise... last time i read, it was used on tripod fishes or something...

Chris> Thanx for the suggestion. I'll move the MI to my sump if i can... it isnt fishless, so it wont have many pods, but it has quite a bit of tunicate and sponge material growing, so... give i'll it a shot... btw, what pellets are you using?

Maybe can pass it back to Henry and put with the rest of the Moorish Idols? Once it sees the rest eating it might follow suit. Just like how my established pipefishes help my new pipefish to learn how to eat mysis. :D

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

• SRC Member

actually, i did an "observation" of the moorish idol on tv or whatever.

have u all realised by now that it is used to living in groups? as in in the wild and everything, it schools, eat , play and swim tofether with the other MI.

ok therefore, i simply have this idea in my mind that if a MI was to be in a tank alone, it would like be sad or whatever without its same species "friends" and refuse to eat. maybe it pecks on the corals out of boredom.

i think the reason why the MI may eat at the LFS was becoz it had same species around it and it feel rather secure, safe. i personally classify this fish as a chim fish.

im now waiting for someone to take up the challenge to raise moorish idols in the tank. it might be a breakthrough who knows? something like moorish idols should be kept in threes or pairs so they wont feel lonely and eat? we could conduct an experiment know.. maybe get henry to help test.. like put 1 moorish if it dont eat put 1 more inside then try and try.. lol..

personally, i think the reason why MI may not eat in our tank may be because of loneliness, not acclimated properly coz it sees no friend around and stuff..

maybe some experts would like to try keeping moorish idols in numbers?

THE ABOVE ARE JUST MY 2 cents worth.

• SRC Member

Yupz, i believe isolation is one of the reasons why it does poorly in captivity, but there are definitely a whole string of other reasons... :(

Its quite hard to ascertain a number of MIs required in a tank for it to feel safe... and it would need a HUGE tank... but i must say a school of MIs will be visually quite quite stunning... :o

2-3 MIs will not be enough, cos I read that MIs are also prone to intraspecific aggression

Anyway, my MI has died a horrible death of starvation, and i am not going to try these fish for a long time until someone formulates a food that will make even the Guai Lan MI Lau Nua... :)

• SRC Member

I dreamt of knocking down a room to built a tank to house them. They have been my favourite all this while. My Moorie died because it was too harassed by the hawaiian cleaner and kanna poked in the eye by it although it was feeding well.

What I gathered is that it loves variety of food although it has a staple diet.

Meanwhile, trying to learn more and keep a journal on it till my dream come through.

Target set...December 2005 when I come back from States.

Wish me luck...

:P

• SRC Member

Nup...Still in Singapore. Otherwise how to book bungalow for the anniversary celebration. :P

Leaving for States tentatively in Jan 2005 so dun want to venture too deep first although salivating for quite a while liao. Having a 4ft FOWRL now. Dun tempt me to upgrade...Not ready too... :paiseh: