Clams

GATECRASHER

• SRC Member

they need alot of light and calcium... i have not ever kept em' but as i read b4 when they are small they need planktons to their diet when they grow bigger then like 5 inches like that they need alot of light for their 'zooalites'(sorry i think wrong spelling)

try go to kinokuniya got this book on clams nice pics too read it there..

got care etc. of clams..

Hi crasher

what are the temperature requirements for clams?

what should i look for when buying a clam?

what do i feed it with? plankton?

If you ask questions like these then probably your tank is not setup for clams.

You do not know what is the basic requirement........would advise you to read up on their requirment 1st.

After that then you can progress from there.

Information you get from here is OK but you may not get the full "picture".

what are the temperature requirements for clams?

what should i look for when buying a clam?

what do i feed it with? plankton?

Clam above 4 inches do not need to be fed..... All they need is just high and strong lighting such as MH and high calcium level for their shell..........

Healthy clam should react to shadow almost immediately but shrinking their mantle slightly................ And they should not have damage base or broken mantle

Dispar, actually, it's clams that are larger than 2 inches do not need to be fed.

Matt, can get (refrigerated) phyto from our sponsor, or you can culture them if you are into that sort of thing.

Not edwin told me clam 4inches or larger do not need to be fed........

• SRC Member
Hi crasher

You do not know what is the basic requirement........would advise you to read up on their requirment 1st.

newbies come in this section to learn and to ask questions. If ask questions also wrong, then I also dunno what to say.

Moby Dick/Gatecrasher,

Take it easy lah. Morgan is afraid that you are looking for simple answers to simple questions and then rush to do it.

Reefkeeping is not so straightforward... a lot of theory is needed. If you don't want to learn the basic theory, simple answers will do you more hurt.

Like:

"How to drive a car"?

Ans: "get into the seat, close the door and go"

Enough? How about driving theory test? How about practical knowledge? How about getting a license first?How about road experience? How about having a proper car in the first place?

Understand?

• SRC Member

Let us create a positive environment here alright?

I understand lots of us here do not like the practice of "trial and error" kind of attitude towards reefkeeping, but please, can we be more polite here in this forum... This is a place for us to share our knowledge...

Hi crasher

if we really had the read the book, do u think we still need to post here n ask?

what do u suggest? read up a book on clam n post it here to confirm?

believe less then 50% of wat ppl tell u n bring it up tp 99% by confirming it urself

• SRC Member

Let's get over and done with this thread... Lets continue to answer GATECRASHER if you are able... :) I still don't understand, whenever I tries to feed my clam, it always close suddently, and by doing so, it will eject water... So how?

• SRC Member

Matt, unless you have a small clam, you do not need to feed clams.

If you are using a syringe to feed it phyto, dont squirt directly on it.

BTW, the questions gatecrasher asked are not commonly answered even in books, as marine books and even reef books usually do not cover the keeping of clams.

And it is not like gate has asked in a series of threads a bunch of really "newbie" questions, like some of the posters here, and needs to be reminded to study up first.