Mangrove plants

salivateforme

• SRC Member

You can.. but it was later discussed that because mangroves grow so slowly the nutrients exported by them is likewise slow... as such you need several mangroves to be effective which makes it rather inappropriate because the mangroves can get quite big... thought about it as well but in the end I using normal macroalgae, at least can see it growing over time... in fact I have to prune every week...

BTW, Singapore got lots of mangrove swamps just go collect the pods if you wanna try it out

IMO, the main interest in growing mangroves is not for its nutrient export puposes but more to add diversity to your system

But if you tame me, we shall need each other.

To me, you will be unique in all the world.

To you, I shall be unique in all the world...

You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.

-Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Keep our hobby sustainable, participate in fragging NOW

CHAETO Farmer FarmerDan.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

Thanks everybody.

I understand its slowness in exporting nutrients, and was really thinking about using it in conjunction with skimmer and an already established bacterial population.

Size-wise, I read that you really only need to keep one leaf on the plant, like cultivating bonsai, I presume.

Should be an interesting experiment. If it isn't raining this weekend, I think I'll plod on down to Pasir Ris park to get some pods.

Anyplace else in Singapore where mangrove pods are easily plucked?

• SRC Member

Understand that the red mangrove suck up your magnesium level. So have to be cautious as it will affect PH, Cal and KH. And think about the typical size of a marine tank. Usu 1 mangrove for 20 litres of sea water. So you can imagine how many mangrove you need.

Happy reefing.