119 members have voted

1. 1. mushroom only tank without filter and skimmer

• Yes, it is ok.
    • Yes, but should have filter.
    • Maybe can try (sitting on the fence).
    • No, sure crash!
    • Dunno...dun ask me.

• SRC Member

i'm running a 1 footer with 2 clown fish, 3 hermits crabs, mushies, star polys and zoo, no skimmer but have a filter....looks ok.....

the only challenge that i have is having to top up water regularly as the tank is in a air con enviroment and drys out very fast....:(

• SRC Member

dunno...i run my tank without fish before for 2 months and things doesn't seems quite right.....

also you end up with a lots of pods and worms and stuff coming out during the day and i think these stuff was irritating the hell out of my corals (some of them even close up for a long while)....put in the fishes and the pods seems to disappear during the day and the coral seems more 'alive' now....:)

• SRC Member

I think it'll work.

The rocks where the mushrooms attached will host the bacteria for the nitrification process. As there won't be much organic waste and there won't be any "left over food" from feedings, the water quality should not deteriorate much.

I think your plan for water change should be OK.

By the way, do you really need T5s for mushrooms?

There should'nt be any problem with such a low bioload. My 1ft cube nano, possibly the smallest tank in this forum runs on no filtration and skimmer at all. I rely totally on organisms living in substrate to breakdown and recycle waste. Although it sounds crazy, its been with me for 2 yrs without any problems.

"Less technology, more biology" --- John Tullock

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • SRC Member
There should'nt be any problem with such a low bioload. My 1ft cube nano, possibly the smallest tank in this forum runs on no filtration and skimmer at all. I rely totally on organisms living in substrate to breakdown and recycle waste. Although it sounds crazy, its been with me for 2 yrs without any problems.

bro,

dun think your 1 ft nano is the smallest here.

have seen someone with a smaller tank.

:off:

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • SRC Member

bro.. heard from a uncle who is good in reefing.. and he is having a 3ft tank like urs.. he sae juz need a filter.. and some lighting.. no need skimmer.. as u will skim out the nutrient tt they need.. and u juz take some prawns.. and squeeze it.. the water tt comes out will be the food for the mushrooms.. and this happen to be their best food.. and heard from tt uncle tt it will spawn very fast if u continue like tt.. yaya.. hahax.. hope to see ur tank pic.. yaya..

Regards..

Lorenzo..

Reefing is like a Relationship, Once you fall in Love with it, You will Love it for Life... :wub:

5a8bbdf6e2308_YUMA16.png.f2e17836611683574a142ad6fbd86466.png

tank with mushies only sounds like a gd idea. in fact i do know someone who has a 3 ft tank and keep only different species of mushies. besides, mushies are hardy, they wun up lorry so easily. btw when u have a huge collection of rics/yumas. . share some with me k? :P

300 Gallon Reef Paradise

6X2.5X2.5 FT Tank : 4x2x2 ft sump : 2x1x2 ft refugim

Skimmer: Deltec AP851

Calcium Reactor:

Lightings: Aqualight T5 Retrofit, 150 watt MH X2

Chiller: Hailea HC-500A model w/ Aquabee 2000

Ozonizer: Hailea HLO-300 Digital ozonizer

Wavemaker: Tunze 6080, Tunze 6060

Return Pumps: Aquabee 5000 x2

Other equipments: Aquabee 2000, Quietone 1200, 5L Co2 Cylinder w/ Dupla regulator

American Marine Wireless Thermometer

Reefing is a dedication, not a competition.

• 6 months later...