Ways To Kill A Golden Pygmy Angel?

nivlac

• SRC Member
yayaya those fellows who are all out to save nemo still eat poultry, red meat, fish, kill mosquitoes, kill cockroaches, feed plankton to their corals. damn double standard hor :whistle

There are people who would save Nemo, are vegetarian, don't believe in killing even a mosquito and don't own corals...... It is not difficult to find people who practise the above ....... your post is baseless and unjust.

• SRC Member

I think his pratas will die b4 the golden pygmy if he lowers salinity to 1.012... :P

Good luck to catching the fish... i basically gave up on all fish catching contraptions a long time ago... i figure they're smarter than me... :cry: they can actually recognize nets and the transparent boxes i use...

• SRC Member

In the event that you do catch him, I will like to adopt it :)

I used to have a problem with a pair of damsel which killed my favourite anemone. My colleague managed to catch one of them with a trap (I call that one the stupid one) The other one did not fall for the trap. I waited for 2 weeks and I could not wait any longer as I have found a similar anemone, so I tore the whole setup down (lucky for me, it is a small one - 2 feet). When my colleague know that I caught it, he took the net and slam the fish on the floor... (the anemone was his favourite too...) I took the bugger and throw it into my FO tank and it is still alive... So I can understand your feelings... nivlac. I know, I know, that is cruelty to the fish but he threw it before I can stop him and we spend so much time trying to catch it.

• SRC Member
In the event that you do catch him, I will like to adopt it :)

I used to have a problem with a pair of damsel which killed my favourite anemone. My colleague managed to catch one of them with a trap (I call that one the stupid one) The other one did not fall for the trap. I waited for 2 weeks and I could not wait any longer as I have found a similar anemone, so I tore the whole setup down (lucky for me, it is a small one - 2 feet). When my colleague know that I caught it, he took the net and slam the fish on the floor... (the anemone was his favourite too...) I took the bugger and throw it into my FO tank and it is still alive... So I can understand your feelings... nivlac. I know, I know, that is cruelty to the fish but he threw it before I can stop him and we spend so much time trying to catch it.

no worries, will let u know if I catch it. The fish is very nice and attractive. But pity you won't see it most of the time as it's always hiding. Very shy.

• SRC Member
Latest update:

1. Fearing for further deaths of my pratas, I've moved my prized specimens (one orange and 2 reds- one red slight tear at the side after being 'pecked' by this fish) into my refugium for refuge. Due to lack of space in the refugium, could only move my most treasured ones into the refugium. My refugium lighting is a generous 56W worth of PLCs (daylight) so they should be OK for the time being

2. Most likely Course of action- I've decided against shifting the rockwork cos' it's just too much. Most probably will look for some ich-infested fish like common clowns to purchase and intro into my tank. Will set my chiller at 26 to ensure the ich cycles maintain and have the target die of natural courses. Thereafter, tank will be quarantined for 3 weeks with no fish to ensure ich life cycle is discontinued.

3. Lionfish route- what do u guys think? Considering the golden angel hides in the rocks most of the time, will the lionfish have a fair chance of 'hunting' down the bugger? I'm scared the lionfish will die of hunger before the angel does, as the angel has not taken any fish food for a whole year, living only on coral flesh.

Bro,

try to build a partition using eggcrates at a corner of your tank. Then place the pratas inside. Cut a opening in the eggcrate just big enough for the angel to swim through. Make sure the entrance is near the rocks.

Stop feeding your tank for 3 days.

You will find the angel swimming into the partition after usually the 2nd day. Place a net nearby and get ready to block the entrance with one hand and use the net to catch him.

Thats what I did to catch my pesky used to be cute ebli angel. It was pecking all my corals. When it pecked my clams it was the last straw.

If you need to borrow eggcrates for this purpose, I can lend you mine. Mine is cut 1ft by 2ft with a slit just big enough for a angel to swim through.

Cheers

• SRC Member

Bro,

try to build a partition using eggcrates at a corner of your tank. Then place the pratas inside. Cut a opening in the eggcrate just big enough for the angel to swim through. Make sure the entrance is near the rocks.

Stop feeding your tank for 3 days.

You will find the angel swimming into the partition after usually the 2nd day. Place a net nearby and get ready to block the entrance with one hand and use the net to catch him.

Thats what I did to catch my pesky used to be cute ebli angel. It was pecking all my corals. When it pecked my clams it was the last straw.

If you need to borrow eggcrates for this purpose, I can lend you mine. Mine is cut 1ft by 2ft with a slit just big enough for a angel to swim through.

Cheers

hey that was a really useful tip! many thanks!

Will be on my way to clementi to get the modular eggcrates :)

• SRC Member
:eyebrow::eyebrow: Hey i want that fish...... IF you do ever catch it pass it to me..... :eyebrow:

wah, so many pple want.....but I understand this fish not cheap lah. Cost me $40 to get from ML a year ago.

Maybe must hold a 'lucky draw' after I manage to catch the fella :D

Or hold an auction and donate the proceeds to our club fund.

Hi Nivlac,

It has been a long long time since we saw each other! :) How have you been! Oh man... your pratas are beautiful... I know how you feel because we used to cheong for the same ones then! ;)

Sorry to say this... but you should know better about introducing fishes which are known to peck on/eat LPS corals. Now you are reaping the consequences. It's not like the fish was a hitchhiker or something...:(

I wish you luck in catching the angel... and I hope this will be a lesson to not just you but all... on researching before buying on impulse.

You could have saved so much $$$ and heartache.

IMO, you can try draining your tank to very low water levels during the next water change.. I can lend you my two big Toyogo tubs.... and just scoop the fish up once it's lying on the sandbed. Then quickly fill your tank up again. If you have a fast pump, it should be a quick half hour job. I am sure he will be easily removed once he is on the sandbed or if he is under the rocks, to use a ruler and move him out into the open for easy scooping.

I think introducing ich is really a bad idea... :ph34r:

• SRC Member

Hi AT, yes it's been some time, and it's real good to see so many reefers on board!

Have been busy with some other stuff so tank was in an 'autopilot' mode for some time. Read about the meetup and BBQ, but pity I was be away with the family for a holiday so will pass this time round :P

Good idea on the water change as well, since my last water change was a year ago! Yeah, should have been more careful with pygmy angels. My personal research has shown that they are generally reef safe, in the same category as flame angels.....but never thought this fella is so much more shy, and hence almost impossible to catch unlike flames which are greedy and easy to bait with food. I will avoid ALL angels in future and keep only cardinals and clowns :) since I love pratas so much. BTW, any good prata specimens you picked up recently? Need to replace my 'losses' lah.

• SRC Member

Hi, is that the one you bought from CF the last time we met on 26 Jul?

Sigh ... even pygmy angels are so unpredictable ... :(

Hahaha bro you remembered.

Yup agree with AT. Sometimes we see fishes that are so cute and irresistable that we often lie to ourselves and say he probably won't eat corals. But...... :cry::cry::cry:

Anyway luckily I managed to catch him. Eblis are extremely shy and cautious too. He landed up in my old 3ft fish only tank now.

But I never had problems with pygmy. I guess its better to be safe than sorry if you are keeping angels....expect the worst.

Cheers

For me, as long as there is an element of risk, I will have to sacrifice it.

A model citizen flame angel I once had eventually couldn't ignore its instincts and began pecking at my clams.

What do you know? ;)

I caught my bicolor angel once by chasing him and wearing him out at night and using a torch light to find him. After almost 1.5 hrs he gave up and I managed to net him and dump him into the sump.

His crime.... eating pratas, eating plating SPS, eating my heliofungia, eating elegance corals without a permit.

Punishment meted : EXILE!!! and eventual torture by exiled damselfishes as well

• SRC Member

There is no such thing as a reef safe angel, except freshwaters ones. If you want to keep angels in a reef tank, only acros won't be on their menu.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member

U ever consider the traditional fishing hook method? Dont know if it'll work for your angel. Works for me everytime whenever my fishes gets too big.

Main Tank : 48 inch by 36 inch by 28 inch (2 sides starphire glass)
Sump Tank :
Return Pump :
Chiller : Starmax Compressor 1 HP Drop coil
Chiller Return Pump
Protein Skimmer :
Wave Maker :
Fluidised Reactor :