Expert advise needed! cyanrina flew off!!

RAV-65

Hi all,

this is the 2nd time I encountered such an occurance, what happened is that my cyanrina seems to have deserted its calcium bone and flew off!! The flesh of the cyanrina is still intact and also fully inflated. Now its like a mini-donut without the calcium bone.... :(:(:(

The 1st time it happened to my green cyanrina and I thought the fella decided to "die" and I threw away the cyanrina. :cry:

Today it happened to my red one again, was wondering is it possible to let the flesh attach itself to some rock or maybe back to the calcium bone?? Or is it doomed?! :cry2:

Can someone please advise?! :bow:

People do not plan to fail; Often they just fail to plan...

Wat I do to prevent myself from tearing my hair out... My stress remedy...

post-34-1105890976.jpg

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No coral would detach itself from its skeleton and expect to resume normal existence! Yikes!

Actually, this is the first time I heard of it! Your coral must be in really bad stress to do so!

Did it happen instantaneously or over time?

• SRC Member

Hope this helps.

I've read in Eric Borneman's Aquarium Corals about the Elegance coral's ability to bail out of their skeleton, they do this in response of poor water parameters or sudden change in lighting and water quality.According to him, this is like a escape reaction and the polyp will calcify again if the water conditions are appropriate.

I'm not sure if this will happen to the cynarina, but it might be worth a try.

Or you can try to contact Eric borneman since he has a sub forum in RC.

all the best ;)

• SRC Member

remember that I read in some article that if the current is too strong for the cynarina to take, it will get blown off the skeleton. Because it expands to many many times the size of the skeleton slight current can exert enough force to tear it from the skeleton. best to keep it in no flow to low flow area. have a pic of how it looks now?

Live and Let Live

• SRC Member

Phenomenal truly !!!

My Beautiful ANGEL - Matsushima Nanako

Equipment List for 4x2x2 Tank & 3x1.5x1.5 Sump

Hagen 802 x 2, Tunze 6060, Arcadia T5 (54W x 8), Eheim 1260 (return) Eheim 1250 (Chiller), Aquabee 300 x 2 (Feed)

H&S 150-F2001 (850l Skimmer), H&S A110-F2000 (400l Skimmer), H&S 110-F1000 (1000l Sulphur/Nitrate Filter), H&S 150-F2000IA (800l Calcium Reactor)

Coralife 3X (UV Steriliser), I-Aquatic IF 312 (Fluidised Reactor), Kent Kalk Delivery, Resun CL650, Pinpoint ORP & PH Meters & Wireless Thermometer

4x2x2 Tank Thread

Must admit that the current in my tank is pretty strong due to the SPS I'm keeping... hence decided to rescape my tank to have strong flow on top and lower flow below by placing my powerheads to facing above...

As for the water parameters, nothing has been fluctuating too vigorously... Only things I've done yesterday differerent from my normal daily husbandry is :

1> Added red slimer remover additive to kill the cyano growing in my tank

2> Used new T5 light set to provide additional light to my tank ( but only on for about 2 hours at most )

I really dun tink the T5 lights will cause it to detach, since only less than 2 hours... maybe it's the medication... can anyone share any experiences?

Here's a pic for everyone's benefit... like william said, maybe there's something we can learn from it...

post-7-1105278368.jpg

post-34-1105890976.jpg

• SRC Member

Thanks for the photo.

Very strange indeed! You mean the skeleton is now just the white skeleton (without any flesh)? I'm wondering, how could the flesh still be inflated and how could it still survive? Normally, the flesh would have deflated even if you just move it slightly.

Now I'm wondering how the bottom of the flesh looks like. I don't suppose you could get a shot of it? Sorry, that's probably too much to ask. :P

Oops ... I see that you have already posted a photo of it upside down. Thank you very much for sharing this. Something for all of us to learn from.

Maybe you should post this on RC and see what the US gurus say.

PS: You got a photo of the skeleton?

Sad to hear that, especially for a chilli red cyna :cry2::cry2::cry2: . Hope you will find the reason behind this. ;)

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron
Australian Institute of Marine Science

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F
Please visit us here: http://www.facebook....uaristSocietySG
Facebook Group: http://www.facebook....gid=34281892381

bro...

just keep it in your sump tank and see how it goes...might be an invaluable lesson to all of us.

;)

Will try to keep it on a piece of rock to see if it would attach itself... actually this is the 2nd time such things have happened, but the last time I didn't wan the flesh to die and compromise water parameters, so I threw it away... <_<

post-34-1105890976.jpg

Thanks for the photo.

Very strange indeed! You mean the skeleton is now just the white skeleton (without any flesh)? I'm wondering, how could the flesh still be inflated and how could it still survive? Normally, the flesh would have deflated even if you just move it slightly.

Now I'm wondering how the bottom of the flesh looks like. I don't suppose you could get a shot of it? Sorry, that's probably too much to ask. :P

Oops ... I see that you have already posted a photo of it upside down. Thank you very much for sharing this. Something for all of us to learn from.

Maybe you should post this on RC and see what the US gurus say.

PS: You got a photo of the skeleton?

Will try to post a pic of the skeleton later, coz my tank lights only come on at 11+pm...

post-34-1105890976.jpg

• SRC Member
Will try to keep it on a piece of rock to see if it would attach itself...

emmm ... here's a wild thought ... instead of letting it stick on a rock, if you could get it to stick on a clear piece of acrylic (like an anemone would), you could be the first in the world to have a behind-the-scenes look at how it eats/digest food from the bottom. :idea:

bro...

wanna try feeding it and see if its still eating?

:P

Good idea!!

Have placed a bit of cyclopeeze at the cyanrina's mouth... dunno if it's my eyes playing tricks or the cyclopeeze float to one side put the fella seems to be eating!!

post-7-1105279653.jpg

post-34-1105890976.jpg