My Budget Marine Tank

berrykin

• SRC Member
berrykin..maybe you should remove ur clownfish to stop it from harrassing the goniopora? Btw...you can see mine under my tank setup..Under Members Tank & Specs...Mine nothing harrass it except one small yellow goby and 2 small anemone shrimps...but open big big! :blink:

OK Ok thankz for your advice... but sumtimes it will expand til long long.. but now short short..... and i just test my water for nitrate and it is again in danger zone... why like that ah>>?? it seemlike i can never get ride of nirate.... last week i just wash my canister and change 20% of water.. -_-

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• SRC Member

Yah i using a blue actinic and a 10000k white lite.... i know it is not sufficient for clam but bo bian.. no money for MH, if buy MH... also must buy chiller... btw got the clam for 3 mths lioa.. so far so good lei..... i still tot of getting those clams from PR which i think call maxima rite? feel like trying those clam under my these two budget lightings..............

OK Ok thankz for your advice... but sumtimes it will expand til long long.. but now short short..... and i just test my water for nitrate and it is again in danger zone... why like that ah>>?? it seemlike i can never get ride of nirate.... last week i just wash my canister and change 20% of water.. -_-

Read about DSBs, they will solve your nitrate problems long-term.

You may also want to increase as much LR as you can pack into your little tank if you can't do a DSB.

Canisters, like wet/dry filters, contribute to higher nitrates due to more aerobic bacteria activity due to its inherent nature.

Also, do not 'try' any clams under your current lighting. I can guarantee you that they will die before their time is due as clams do much better under MHs or very packed rows of T5s and placed right under the water surface to do well long-term. Your FL lights will not be able to sustain them.

• SRC Member

AT.. my tank is 4feet with onli 6mm glass thickness... SUm of the reefers tell me not to have DSB and put too much LR as it will add pressure to the thin glasses and may explode one day... is that true???

My that clam survive for so long lioa.... dun seem like got ani problem :eyebrow: ... How long can a clam survive under poor litings like mine>>>??? maximum how many months?? There is really no way for me to rear these beatiful and exotic clams????? ani other way??? :nc:

AT.. my tank is 4feet with onli 6mm glass thickness... SUm of the reefers tell me not to have DSB and put too much LR as it will add pressure to the thin glasses and may explode one day... is that true???

My that clam survive for so long lioa.... dun seem like got ani problem :eyebrow: ... How long can a clam survive under poor litings like mine>>>??? maximum how many months?? There is really no way for me to rear these beatiful and exotic clams????? ani other way??? :nc:

your clam doesnt seem to have any problem right now coz it is just using its body fat in its body to sustain itself until months later..when no more body resources...then it will die...

sometimes u cannot expect the stuff u put into the tank to have immediate reaction to the adverse conditions in the tank until some time later....ask someone to stay in a mild radioactive environment..also many years later then he will get problems like cancer or watever right?

so your clam doing well now doesn't mean that it is happy in the tank. :)

Berrykin..my tank something like yours. I have never tested the nitrates till now...so I'm not overly concerned. Anyway...I found out from past experiments of mine last time that changing 50% of the water does not equivilate to removing 50% of nitrates. It does'nt work that way. It might only end up removing 10% or less of your nitrates. :blink:

You might want to try AZ-NO3? Or BioHome..which is what I am using..have not tested how efficient it is at nitrate removal though. :angel:

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

• SRC Member
My that clam survive for so long lioa.... dun seem like got ani problem  :eyebrow:  ... How long can a clam survive under poor litings like mine>>>??? maximum how many months??  There is really no way for me to rear these beatiful and exotic clams????? ani other way???  :nc:

put your tank on your roof. sunlight is the best light

• SRC Member
Hmmm... since your tank is only 3 mths old... how about replacing it with a tank with thicker glass? :)

And then you can set up your new tank the right way this time! :)

Now i also worry about my tank liao... thickness 6mm nia... 4 feet summore.. aiyo.... dun know when it will explode..!!! i wanna change tank but not now ba.. future ba... :nc:

• SRC Member
Berrykin..my tank something like yours. I have never tested the nitrates till now...so I'm not overly concerned. Anyway...I found out from past experiments of mine last time that changing 50% of the water does not equivilate to removing 50% of nitrates. It does'nt work that way. It might only end up removing 10% or less of your nitrates. :blink:

You might want to try AZ-NO3? Or BioHome..which is what I am using..have not tested how efficient it is at nitrate removal though. :angel:

Yeah i added bio homes lioa... and chemi pure.. hope it works..

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

SH i think should be a pair cos i saw them tangle with each other but i dun know which one male or female or maybe they are les or gays.... bought from aquar star... test test see they survive or not.. and they survive for weeks liao....

PS: can help me see this one a male or female?

post-34-1065882046.jpg

• SRC Member
looks female to me..

guess u bought tt tiger tail at 5 bucks?..

i went to Aqu*St** intending to get some beginner seahorse ..

but i change my mind when i saw some infected ones and they kept like 8 in 1 very small tank...

That time i buy a few nia.... and that was weeks ago... today i just went... and inside more than 8..... summore big big one... and u see their center row of corals and fishes.... all cannot make it sia.... the MH and actinic wasted.. hanging on the top for nothing like that... -_-

• SRC Member
Hi,

What kind of lighting u use ??

FL, PL or T5 ??

Hmmm i think i using FL.... but can u tell me wat is FL and PL.. cos last time i heard pple saying..: u using FL huh...

so can u tell me the different.?

i am having one 10000K white lite and one actinic..

• SRC Member
preparing a SH tank.. is there ani more accessories needed?? cos i still new and i just follow the instruction given in the SH thread...

Can start by not having this type of red grape inside but rather red bamboo if you really wan. They turn assexual more readily. And also check for 'hairline' algae when you buy them.

Hope this helps...