Nori

Achilles Tang

Hi folks,

A lot of people get stumped when the word 'Nori' is mentioned.

It's a common ingredient in our daily lives, especially here in Asia. It's simply dried seaweed.

It's used for soups, noodle dishes, sushi and even confectionary (not really the same kind we should feed our fishes).

Nori can come as dried seaweed clumps (these are found in the Dried Goods or Condiments section) or they can be rolled flat and are usually baked or roasted (such as found in the confectionary section in supermarts).

Tangs love to eat Nori as would other seaweed eating fishes... some cardinals are known to eat Nori too. I had a flame angel who ate nori too.

noripacket.jpg

Here's a common brand under which Nori is packed and sold in NTUC supermarket. I think its only 90 cents to a dollar for one packet. And it will last a very long time!

noripacket2.jpg

It's the purple seaweed variety. Haven't seen the green variety around. When you soak it in water long enough, the water will turn purplish red. Sometimes I soak my nori in garlic juice before feeding my tangs.

nori.jpg

It's dried and crispy, easily broken into small pieces. Once soaked in water, they will become soft and break apart when the tangs rip it apart. It does take some time for nori to become soft enough to break apart so you'll see your tangs doing a tug-of-war with each other or the clip!

Well, hope that solves the mystery for some of you... it's more familiar than you think... go grocery shopping more often with your mamma or wifey!

;) Achilles Tang

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member

thks AT, didn't know could use the small strands without it floating everywhere-(usually only use the sheet stuff but are quite ex$).

i think i got a twin yellie-but mine is yollie(dun tell its 3"+ reaching 4")...eating from the same magnet. hmmmm.

Maybe same father diff mother.

NTUC here i come!

• SRC Member

I know this sounds crazy, but my purple tang only eats flavoured nori, so I feed it sparingly. Most of the time the tang just eats microwaved vegetable, broccoli, choi sum, kai lan, lettuce, cabbage and even raw garlic.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member
I know this sounds crazy, but my purple tang only eats flavoured nori, so I feed it sparingly. Most of the time the tang just eats microwaved vegetable, broccoli, choi sum, kai lan, lettuce, cabbage and even raw garlic.

wah! ur purple tang' really having a good life!! flavoured nori... geeze... v fussy!! :lol:

My sohal earlier on will only take Julian's sea veggies and refused all other stuffs. No pellet, prawn or anything...

He was really a true blue vegetarian till I convinced him that meat taste better than bland veggies...... Now he eats prawn meat with gusto!

My tangs loved Sea veggies but its burning a hole in my pocket so I have stopped buying them.

Be warned though that I lost a yellow who have been 1.5 yrs with me from seaweed sold in supermarts especially roasted green seaweed used for sushi. I think there is some additive or something in it.

• SRC Member

I like eating the teriyaki flavoured roasted nori which my purple tang shares with me. He get one piece, I eat three. Reef picnic. Now all I need to do is get used to brine shrimps and pellets. Suppose to give me good colour!

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member
i bot a pack of nori by julien sprung, cost me $18!!!! :(

see fred.. i told u that u are rich.. hahaha.. anyway.. i only feed my tangs with lettuce and cabbage... never microwave them.. just wash.. wonder whether do they eat kangkong as well..

my palette tang also love shrimps meat.. and i seen it fighting with my moray for it.. basically, that fish, i called it a pig trying to look like a blue tang.. :P

perhaps later in the day, i go to NTUC to buy and try.. if they dun like.. i eat..

Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

You should boil your vegs... helps to break down the tough cellulose to aid in digestion... and this is not a Yakult ad! :D Alternatively, you can keep your vegs in the freezer... same effect.

• SRC Member

well, AT tried the nori.....soaked in water first & it dyed the water red.

Anyways, seems my white spotted boxfish is the one taking to it(sucks the whole piece in)- while the tang just watches-maybe a nibble or 2......goondu!

wonder what kind of fibre/nutrition it has- yet to see the poo.

soaked too much so i ate the rest( kel -its very tasty in soup or instant noodles). @90 cents a pack very very affordable937850.jpg

I usually don't presoak it... just take the nori straight from the packet, break it into small bits and throw them in the tank.

They will float but later sink once they soak up water.

The tangs love playing rugby with nori... snatch and run... snatch and run... sometimes playing tug of war with each other! Very entertaining!

B)

It doesn't have any artificial preservatives or flavouring... its just plain dried seaweed.

Very nutritious as it is mainly protein.

Seaweed is also an excellent source of iron, fibre, vitamin A, and vitamin B12, which is rarely available in fruits and vegetables.

Red seaweed is particularly high in vitamins A and B12. Seaweed proteins are similar to those of garden vegetables.

Each category of seaweed (brown, red and green) contains the eight amino acids essential to human nutrition. Seaweed is also an excellent source of fibre, with a content similar to or higher than that of fruits and vegetables.

The purplish brown colour is just the natural colouring.

Why do you think the Japanese are known for their longevity? ;)

• SRC Member

Add green tea to your tank! :lol:

The Japanese, who have a low fat diet and don't drink much, naturally have a low incidence of heart diseases.

The French, who have a high fat diet and drink a lot, also have a low incidence of heart diseases.

The Italians who have a very high fat diet and and drink a lot, again have a low incidence of heart diseases.

But the English and Americans, who have a high fat diet and drink a lot, have a high incidence of heart diseases.

What can you tell from this? :huh:

It's speaking English that kills you! :blink::wacko::rolleyes:-_-:P:lol:

post-36-1093875548.jpg

• SRC Member
Add green tea to your tank! :lol:

The Japanese, who have a low fat diet and don't drink much, naturally have a low incidence of heart diseases.

It's speaking English that kills you! :blink::wacko::rolleyes:-_-:P:lol:

but my jap friends drink a lot.. and i mean alot.. perhaps it is the sake that they drink.. plus the tons of green tea.. however, our version of green tea is pokka green tea.. which, is sugar water..

AT, may i suggest that we switch to jap for this forum.. since Tanzy says that speaking english can kills.. hahaha.. now i had better start learning jap.. if i wann know what this site is talking abt. :P:D:lol:

Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

• SRC Member

anway.. AT, i bought a packet of the NORI from NTUC.. and throw some into the tank.. but my PT only nibble and spits out.. my foxface also do the same.. never see my Hippo tang eat leh.. sigh.. i think they might not like it.. still prefer the lettuce and if that is the case, i think i will eat the packet i bought... <_