Newbie Setting Up His First Time Sw Tank

• SRC Member

BTW I think your skimmer air input is too high, may be you can reduce it a bit as I can see that you are skimming salt water. Try setting the air such that the bubbles just reach the neck of the skimmer (where the column starts to taper). You can adjust accordingly to try to get good skimmate.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member

That Extra tube you see in 5th image is because my air flow cannot be controlled.. So to much bubbles coming out of that hole.. so i put a tube where waters flows thru it into the tank water:).

Best Regards

Giritharan

• SRC Member

Oh, you should get a 2 way valve (around $2 i think). You need to let out some air. Try something like this... I just sketch this using paintbrush, hope you understand. Adjust the bubble until the level i mentioned. Adjust using the valve to ANYWHERE. Leave the one to the skimmer fully open, it is easier to control this way.

post-6-1062434270.jpg

I think the counter-current skimmer would be a better choice. The bubbles have more contact time with the water and organics. The skimmer you are using...IMO...is skimming the same area of water over and over again...Just try to make sure there is enough circulation near your skimmer to ensure fresh saltwater is introduced for skimming.

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

• SRC Member
Oh, you should get a 2 way valve (around $2 i think). You need to let out some air. Try something like this... I just sketch this using paintbrush, hope you understand. Adjust the bubble until the level i mentioned. Adjust using the valve to ANYWHERE. Leave the one to the skimmer fully open, it is easier to control this way.

Thanks, I taught of using that. but you know at Rainbow said,

that there will be not enought power, Hmm Gonna Con Me some more:(

They said to get a air tunable pump from them. Errr.. Luckly You guyz are more experts and more senoir to learn from:)

Best Regards,

Giritharan

• SRC Member

K my mission is to some how get rid of the fishes, I was planning to let it into the sea, Maybe EastCoast Park, If you guyz want the healty fish now.. better grab. My Number is 90700965 Call For Giri:).

Regarding the Live rocks.. so will the white spots get back to normal after the cycling process finish. Example comes back to red again

Best Regards

Giritharan

• SRC Member

As Fuel has suggested, this is not the best skimmer you can use, but I believe the priority here is to setup whatever you have bought so far properly. Personally I have used the piccolo before and i did achieve some rather acceptable skimmate (moderate brown tea like). Thought not the best, but I think it will do ok if you keep your bio load low. You might want to place the skimmer at the part of the tank with more water flow. You may want to invest in a small power head to improve the water circulation. Water flowing out of the filter may not be enough.

On the tank arrangement side, you can try to stack up your LR near to one side of the tank, forming some sort of a tripod, maybe underneath the water outlet. This way you can have some sort of a hiding place for your fishes, the water will not flush your sand bed away and your rocks will get more water circulation. Alternatively you can direct your power head at the LR formation too to improve the circulation if you do decide to get one.

• SRC Member

Yea.. I will change that when i get my next pay.. i dont have much money now to spend on the sw tank. let it cycle for 1 month or more first.

Best Regards,

Giritharan

• SRC Member
bacteria pills... coral chip.. skeleton.. $15.... $25 lr.....

YOU HAVE GONE TO

R$!N*)W!

you poor thing. pls start frequenting another LFS not that one .which is probably the worst in this country

thats wad i tot when i read 25.00 for LR too..hehehe

• SRC Member

Hello again, Morning Everyone,

Could you tell me the address For Hong Leong and Pet Mart,

Wat bus to take and how to go:),

Thanks Very Much

Giritharan

• SRC Member

K I have already Clean the LR and stuff, and the two fishes i got are still active, wierd!!!. i changed 15% of water today.

Do i need anything else?

Regarding the Bacteria, do i need to buy or just let nature take its course for 1-2 months,

ANyway, wat is cycle, issit that the bacterias inside the tank are fully matured to absorb the ammonia and NO2??

Best Regards

Giritahran

• SRC Member

I stay just opposite ML, I can bring you there. It's near clementi area. Pretty far from east coast. I've got an orca counter current skimmer lying around cause i upgraded my skimmer. Got it from rainbow at $22 if i'm not wrong ( someone correct the price if i'm wrong ).

• SRC Member

I bought the bloody Protein Skimmer For $44, Suck Huh? See how i kana con, Any way wat is ML stands for and Wat address to Hong Leong:)

Best Regards

Giritharan

• SRC Member
I bought the bloody Protein Skimmer For $44, Suck Huh? See how i kana con, Any way wat is ML stands for and Wat address to Hong Leong:)

Best Regards

Giritharan

i bought mine at $40. so it is relatively ok. i know that it is selling at 35 now. anyway this is a list of lfs. you can choose the ones nearest to you to take a look.

Marine_v1.1.doc

• SRC Member

Well many ppl told me i kana con liao, i bought 1.3 kg rock for $25 at the left tank, center there is one small rock for $12, and the right 2.5 kg below the protein skimmer is $55. The shop claims that they gave me discount, they said actually they sell 25$/1kg. No choice.. now just give it 1-2 months to cycle.. or so.

Anyway thanks Ozy:) For the Address.. Could you tell me wat shop you usually buy the live rocks.. i was planning to buy more after cycle to decorate the tank.:)

Best Regards,

Giritharan

• SRC Member

Check this out!!!!!!

I dont know wat is inside.. but it scarying the hell out of me. I think it is a prawn. It ran out once like a catapiller and went back in..

It came together with the live rocks i bought from Rain%o%.

Best Regards Giritharan

post-6-1062482767.jpg

• SRC Member

It is not green.

It is Transparent Dark Gray in colour.. with two eyes moving in all direction.. when i get nearer to take picture, it will run inside. It's lenght is about 7 cm long.. scary huh.

Best Regards,

Giritharan