My New Tank (5'x2'x27")

seamonkee

• SRC Member

Advisable to keep angels only when the tank is more mature, close to a year.

I had the same problem with ich in my new fowlr, very troublesome to take out fishes without removing all the rocks, lost quite a few fishes as a result of this. my blue tang, naso and purple survived but not the powder brown.

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• SRC Member
Here's the rescaping... now in hyposalinity state..... How does the rockscaping look now? better?

Fishes are in quarantine tank undertaking copper treatment.... :lol:

Nice rockscape and more space for fish to swim around ;)

My decomm 4ft FOWLR

• SRC Member

Warfare update.... just went to Marine life and got cupramin (copper) from seachem.... and copper test kit....

Also did some stock up of stuff (rowa carbons + 1 big tub of oceanic sea salt).. hahaha...

Okie, at moment I am left with yellow tang, sailfin tang and blue tang (blue tang is the only fish which is not feeding and totally covered in ich... Henry ask me to give up on the blue tang and chuck away...)

Lost lots of fishes which set me back about $350.... Right now, got another two feet tank from neighbour to be used as quarantine tank (when I buy fishes in future)...

Quarantine husbandry in the future will be to copper treat fishes (for two weeks) before putting into display tank.... ;)

My main tank is now at hyposalinity state of 1.008... this morning see lots of bristleworms, aptasia anemones and other critters dead.... :sick::lol::D ...

I asked Henry of Marine Life if I need to raise back the salinity quickly back to normal to lessen more die-offs from the live rocks... he said it is ok to leave it on this hypo state for the full 60 days since i am keeping only FOWLR....

Cool!

• SRC Member

Here's an update of my tank.... did some rescaping to try to achieve the two mountain look... :lol::D as per some bros advice for a FOWLR

Anyway, I have to wait for 14 June (2 months) before I can intro anythin in again... now in fallow state to combat ich (my previous inhabitants got all wiped out)... except for one super tough sailfin tang which is now in cupramine quarantine.

How's the look? i have now raised the salinity back to 1.020 after 1 week of hyposalinity (1.008) cause looking at the number of bristleworms, aptasia and other stuff dying off, I am getting worried about beneficial stuff dying off also... some of the liverock already got some white patches... but hehe... worth it lah to fight ich....

post-34-1114001646.jpg

• SRC Member

This will be my plan....

I will be adding some sinularia corals (leather) (something like sealife's tank).... to give the scaping more definition....

Also, some bros advise me to have some corals since they are more sensitive to water parameters and they will be my first detection devices.... somemore I got good 0.75 chiller, so why waste it?

But just leather.... no SPS or LPS... :lol: and some feather dusters here and there to beautify the place (I am not keen in butterflies after all)....

Tank will have a good mix of tangs, one or two dwarf angels or so..... basically going for more vibrant colour fishes....

Any advice?

(Pink colour marking denote sinularia coral positioning)

post-34-1114001840.jpg

• SRC Member

Think your drawing may look better than the "sinularia" :lol:

My Beautiful ANGEL - Matsushima Nanako

Equipment List for 4x2x2 Tank & 3x1.5x1.5 Sump

Hagen 802 x 2, Tunze 6060, Arcadia T5 (54W x 8), Eheim 1260 (return) Eheim 1250 (Chiller), Aquabee 300 x 2 (Feed)

H&S 150-F2001 (850l Skimmer), H&S A110-F2000 (400l Skimmer), H&S 110-F1000 (1000l Sulphur/Nitrate Filter), H&S 150-F2000IA (800l Calcium Reactor)

Coralife 3X (UV Steriliser), I-Aquatic IF 312 (Fluidised Reactor), Kent Kalk Delivery, Resun CL650, Pinpoint ORP & PH Meters & Wireless Thermometer

4x2x2 Tank Thread

• SRC Member

Is it advisable to have live rocks leaning against the side glass panels?

My glass is 12mm thick....

The part that is circled is leaning against the side walls....

post-34-1114015020.jpg

• SRC Member

shouldnt be a problem.... same for my tank as well....

*translated from Hokkien*

"If say no bang wall, this idiot will never ripen" - Mr Quah Siew Kow.

• SRC Member

NVM bro i will be safe. ;)

6x2.5x2.5 (GEO AQUATIC)

Aquamedic Turboflotor 5000Baby

Aquamedic NR1000

Aquamedic KR1000

Aquamedic Niveaumat

Aquamedic Ozone

RM Fluidised Reactor

Tunze 6060x3

Resun C1000

Aqualight 2x250w + 150w MH

• SRC Member

After much comprehension, my wife and I still prefer the slope look... We felt this look more natural... some of my previous scaping just look too "Flintstone"... :lol::D

I try to hide as much of the flat pieces as possible... very satisfied with this look... :)

Also because we do not want any dead spots at the back area...

Also added two SEIO 1100 to add circulation, no need tunze lah cause only FOWLR... just added the SEIOs to reduce dead spots.... Also a bit broke... hehehe.... SEIOs were a gift fm my wife....

post-34-1114328527.jpg

• SRC Member

The seios are great! I place them such that as much of the detritus floats up.... Seios pump are broad pumps so they dun produce a narrow powerful jet... I like the gentle broad circulations it made.... enough to push up the detritus and yet not too strong to create sandstorm... :)

It was a great time to test them out cause with my rescaping, there were quite a lot of detritus and stuff on the sand....

I switch off my main return pump and activate the two seios to see how the flow goes...... in 10 minutes, all the detritus were stirred up without any sandstorm... :)

post-34-1114328687.jpg

• SRC Member

The flow from the seio is aimed at the back and front area.... and in such a way that the detritus is pushed upwards to the middle...

(Red lines denote flow from seio)

With the main return pump on... this push the detritus to the overflow.... B):):)

(Blue line denote flow from return pump)

YEAH!

Now, my sandbed super white and clean without deadspots (at the back and front) and without sandstorms....

post-34-1114328927.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

Got some leather corals from Irwana yesterday to "break" the shape of the liverocks and give the scaping some definition...

Got some cleaner shrimps + turbo snails as well... but tank is still in fallow state till end June... so no fishes yet...

Bro shoelevy came to my house today.. haha... commented the leathers look like SPS... :lol::D That's what I wanted... yeah!

Anyway, decided to add some leather as "first guard" in an event of tank failure or whatever, at least my corals (being the more sensitive species) will give me telltales sign of water parameters going haywire first than the $$$$ fishes in the future... :lol:

What do you guys think of the scaping w the leathers?

post-34-1115041940.jpg

• SRC Member

Here's a close up pix of some of the leathers.... the one on the right has nice lime green polyps... lucky me... :lol:

I got four cleaner shrimps.... Not planning to keep other shrimps... but cleaner shrimps... they are so beautiful yet most importantly, FUNCTIONAL! :lol:

post-34-1115042063.jpg

• SRC Member

Here's some more leather... :lol: "macham" pirated version of SPS.... :lol::D

Leathers dun need strong light but good current is a MUST... ;)

And yeah, will add some feather dusters later to accentuate the scaping more

post-34-1115042157.jpg

Got some leather corals from Irwana yesterday to "break" the shape of the liverocks and give the scaping some definition...

Got some cleaner shrimps + turbo snails as well... but tank is still in fallow state till end June... so no fishes yet...

Bro shoelevy came to my house today.. haha... commented the leathers look like SPS... :lol::D That's what I wanted... yeah!

Anyway, decided to add some leather as "first guard" in an event of tank failure or whatever, at least my corals (being the more sensitive species) will give me telltales sign of water parameters going haywire first than the $$$$ fishes in the future... :lol:

What do you guys think of the scaping w the leathers?

it looks great, kinda similar to sps without the colour. :D

nice tank btw, hopefully my future 6ft tank plan will be something liddat.

300 Gallon Reef Paradise

6X2.5X2.5 FT Tank : 4x2x2 ft sump : 2x1x2 ft refugim

Skimmer: Deltec AP851

Calcium Reactor:

Lightings: Aqualight T5 Retrofit, 150 watt MH X2

Chiller: Hailea HC-500A model w/ Aquabee 2000

Ozonizer: Hailea HLO-300 Digital ozonizer

Wavemaker: Tunze 6080, Tunze 6060

Return Pumps: Aquabee 5000 x2

Other equipments: Aquabee 2000, Quietone 1200, 5L Co2 Cylinder w/ Dupla regulator

American Marine Wireless Thermometer

Reefing is a dedication, not a competition.

• SRC Member

it looks great, kinda similar to sps without the colour. :D

nice tank btw, hopefully my future 6ft tank plan will be something liddat.

Thanks for the compliments... :)

Ok lah.. leather = less SPS colours.... also = less SPS headaches... :lol:

Colour wise, I am concentrating on the fishes.... :lol::rolleyes:

But honestly, my pix is doing the leather a bit of injustice lah.... I managed to get one or two with lime green polyps... some reddish, some brown... so still got some contrast here and there... :lol:

• SRC Member

Here's an update of my tank... leathers are opening very well under the Seio currents.....

Also added feather dusters at strategic points..

My mum went China for a one-week trip... and she bought me these shells which she thought are nice.... so just to please her... I put them into the tank... Turn out quite nice...

According to her, the shells are sooooooo cheappp.... about 20cents Singapore each only.... She also came across this LFS and saw many many fishes.... :lol:

She told me she saw beautiful clams as big as basketball... :blink::blink:

post-34-1115729861.jpg

• SRC Member

A close up of the nautilus shell.... :lol:

Well, my tank still no fishes cause I am leaving it fallow till end June to kill off the ich minions...

post-34-1115729954.jpg

• SRC Member

wah bro... if i'm not wrong the white colour shell is an prehistoric animal.... u go underwater world can see.... its a deepsea creature....

correct me if i'm wrong.....

• SRC Member

Bro, the shells are nice but are they painted or coated?

My Beautiful ANGEL - Matsushima Nanako

Equipment List for 4x2x2 Tank & 3x1.5x1.5 Sump

Hagen 802 x 2, Tunze 6060, Arcadia T5 (54W x 8), Eheim 1260 (return) Eheim 1250 (Chiller), Aquabee 300 x 2 (Feed)

H&S 150-F2001 (850l Skimmer), H&S A110-F2000 (400l Skimmer), H&S 110-F1000 (1000l Sulphur/Nitrate Filter), H&S 150-F2000IA (800l Calcium Reactor)

Coralife 3X (UV Steriliser), I-Aquatic IF 312 (Fluidised Reactor), Kent Kalk Delivery, Resun CL650, Pinpoint ORP & PH Meters & Wireless Thermometer

4x2x2 Tank Thread