DIY MH

robe

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member

I don't see the problem. If it is 150W HQI Ballast it should work with and double ended 150W bulb.

I just bought Venture 10K 150W HQI Double Ended Bulb to replace OSRAM 150W 6500K.

It should work.

Hello yazid

May I know where you bought the Venture 10K 150W HQI Double Ended bulb? Do I need extra protection for HQI and how much is it?

Thanks for your help. :)

Cheers!

You need to get protective glass that screens out excessive UV A & B which DE bulbs definitely need... without which... you will find all your corals bleaching.... ask Robe.. he did it once a long long time ago... and within 20 mins... his acros started to RTN....

• SRC Member

Not really. The outer envelope shields some UV, but a glass shield is good to prevent water from splashing on to the bulb.

Cool water + hot bulb = Explosive force with broken glass

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member

I mount mine at 9" above water. 30cm will be fine if you have a good reflector to direct the light back into the tank, but the spread will be bigger and less intense.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

Since this thread isn't technically a DIY thread yet... I am moving this to the Marine Tank Equipment forum.

Robe... when ever you are ready with your pix and DIY descriptions... pls post! :)

• SRC Member

Folks,

Went to Kelantan Lane or Road this afternoon with Nano and found a shop selling a complete MH 10K (Slyvannia 150W tube) with ballast attached (measuring 12" x 6" x 2.5") for only S$230.00 .

It's the same light setup as the one you see at AquaMart or ReefWorld.

Dirt cheap for a complete MH config.

Forgotten the shop name but already dreaming about it tonight on how to mount them to supplement my current MH.

Guess 250W or 400W MH are way beyond my budget. Have not heard anyone posting the prices they've paid for their DIY.

• SRC Member
Hi Guys,

Can 2 X 150w Iwasaki 10k supplemented with 2 fl actinic good enough for a 100cm x 45cm x 45 cm tank?

Is the colour spectrum for the 150w saki white enough?

Is there a 10000K Iwasaki?

post-36-1093875548.jpg

• SRC Member

Is there a 10000K Iwasaki?

Sorry, just check again and they are only available in Japan.

So what if I use 2 20000K sakis. Would the lighting appear too blueish?

My current light hood holds 3 30W FLs. I would want to retrofit it with MH. What are the options available that won't cost a bomb?

• SRC Member

Sorry, just check again and they are only available in Japan.

So what if I use 2 20000K sakis. Would the lighting appear too blueish?

My current light hood holds 3 30W FLs. I would want to retrofit it with MH. What are the options available that won't cost a bomb?

To check out the 20kk Iwasakis,

Find Barracuda..........

Hah... he jus got 2 SE 150W from Eye Lighting... the GM even did a demo on the 20kk jus to present how intense the light source would be with proper reflectors...

You should check their latest range of pendents.... Chioh....

Spade, its time to post those pics you taken...... :lol::lol:

BTW, Bluish white light is what you would get from the 20kk Iwasakis....IMO... looks very good!!!!!!!! ;)

And yes to add on, jus got my 2x 400W ballast... test run the Blueline on a 4.5kV ignitor..... works and now running in my reef....yeah!!!

yes, i have used the 150watt 20000K iwasaki for 2 month already and i love it ,

when you on the light the first hour will be very blue than second hour lighter blue and after 2 hour i find it white. you dont have to use 03 actintic

sorry still no pic.will try

robert