How often do you change water for sps tank

• SRC Member

FWIW, I maintain a 160l 3' tank. I do a change with NSW once a week, about 25l each time. Still Ok, I'm please with it. Most of the coloured SPSs are green ones, they are very easy to keep...yep and some are brown but growing. (think that has more do to do with lighting than water). I'm jus one happy camper.

I think with such frequent water changes, one can afford to be a little lax on your parameters. I keep an eye of for dKh, which is kept at about 8... thats the only test I do frequently. Ca levels are rather hard to keep up with these changes. Las test a month back, I did was 330.

:off: Been quite diligent, until recently, with the arrival of our little baby. Her birth weight of 4.55kg is like :upsidedown: to us.

• SRC Member
Wow. That's alot of hardwork. Admire your perseverence.

Not really, I fill up 2 x 1000 litre holding tanks when I am at the beach diving, and then transfer that into another 2 x 1000 litre holding tanks at home. I have a car that can easily carry that sort of weight so it isn't really that much extra work.

Then I can drain my sump of 200 litres by opening a ball valve on the side of it. Then close that ball valve, open another ball valve that is connected to the holding tanks, and 200 litres of new salt water water comes straight in... whole water change process takes about 15 minutes... plus the time to heat the water in the sump before turning the sump pump back on.

• SRC Member

Not really, I fill up 2 x 1000 litre holding tanks when I am at the beach diving, and then transfer that into another 2 x 1000 litre holding tanks at home. I have a car that can easily carry that sort of weight so it isn't really that much extra work.

Then I can drain my sump of 200 litres by opening a ball valve on the side of it. Then close that ball valve, open another ball valve that is connected to the holding tanks, and 200 litres of new salt water water comes straight in... whole water change process takes about 15 minutes... plus the time to heat the water in the sump before turning the sump pump back on.

Bro,

You're fortunate that you don't have space constraints like most of us. If we have holding space for 200 litres of seawater, that would have been the tank itself. :lol:

• SRC Member
Bro,

You're fortunate that you don't have space constraints like most of us. If we have holding space for 200 litres of seawater, that would have been the tank itself. :lol:

Very true :P

I live on a block of land approx 2000m² so space is certainly not a restriction. :D

I guess most of you guys over there use salt mixes yes?

• SRC Member

Bro,

Do you filter or run the NSW through any UV before you pump into your tank? Any risk of having mantis eggs or any parasite?

• SRC Member
Bro,

Do you filter or run the NSW through any UV before you pump into your tank? Any risk of having mantis eggs or any parasite?

Run the water through an 800 micron filtre bag, but no UV or the like. I collect the water about 1m under the water surface, at about 15m of depth.

The risk of any parasite is very small... most parasites are not free swimming in the water column, but are either sand based eggs, or on host animals.

FWIW, I maintain a 160l 3' tank. I do a change with NSW once a week, about 25l each time. Still Ok, I'm please with it. Most of the coloured SPSs are green ones, they are very easy to keep...yep and some are brown but growing. (think that has more do to do with lighting than water). I'm jus one happy camper.

I think with such frequent water changes, one can afford to be a little lax on your parameters. I keep an eye of for dKh, which is kept at about 8... thats the only test I do frequently. Ca levels are rather hard to keep up with these changes. Las test a month back, I did was 330.

:off: Been quite diligent, until recently, with the arrival of our little baby. Her birth weight of 4.55kg is like :upsidedown: to us.

4.55kg?!

Congrats bro!!! :P

People do not plan to fail; Often they just fail to plan...

Wat I do to prevent myself from tearing my hair out... My stress remedy...

post-34-1105890976.jpg

• SRC Member

Bandit, that would imply, that you somehow store the bal 1800 l somewhere and will eventually finished using them about 9 weeks later. I'm curious to know what you do to keep them "fresh" in the holding tanks at home... if its needed at all. I sometimes just buy two cans and keep the other one for the week later... I leave the cap open, when it comes to using it, theres some uncertainty about the still water left in there... I end up still using it.

OT:

Vince,

Thank you... if I remember correctly, the same congratulatory should go out to you too,... some time about now? oh shucks, while I'm at that, DB and Edmund, pls accept my belated best wishes to you n yours as well.

mm

• SRC Member
Bandit, that would imply, that you somehow store the bal 1800 l somewhere and will eventually finished using them about 9 weeks later. I'm curious to know what you do to keep them "fresh" in the holding tanks at home... if its needed at all. I sometimes just buy two cans and keep the other one for the week later... I leave the cap open, when it comes to using it, theres some uncertainty about the still water left in there... I end up still using it.

I keep the tank lids on... only take the lids off when doing water changes to allow air in to help the flowrate with water changes. I have found that water will keep for longer periods without any degradation. Mind you I am talking Natural Sea Water here... I have no experience with sea salt mixes.

• 1 month later...

I keep the tank lids on... only take the lids off when doing water changes to allow air in to help the flowrate with water changes. I have found that water will keep for longer periods without any degradation. Mind you I am talking Natural Sea Water here... I have no experience with sea salt mixes.

Bandit

You may actually want to try using a Salt Water mix in your tank for an experiment. I also have access to both but have found my corals respond better when I perform water changes using a good salt mix with RO water as opossed to natural sea water.

Just a thought

Vince,

Thank you... if I remember correctly, the same congratulatory should go out to you too,... some time about now? oh shucks, while I'm at that, DB and Edmund, pls accept my belated best wishes to you n yours as well.

:lol: thanxs bro!! :P

People do not plan to fail; Often they just fail to plan...

Wat I do to prevent myself from tearing my hair out... My stress remedy...

post-34-1105890976.jpg