Chiller/cooling Fan

Terryz_

• SRC Member
Mine tank temp is 28C.. is tat okaie... was told tat must be 26C...

If you are willing to invest in a chiller,i feel that while isnt a must,it is a worthwhile investment.But if your tank temperature is stable(below 30c) and you are not going for MH,you might not need a chiller at all.

chiller or fan..??

evaporation will cause the heat to be "carried away", so the

temp in tank is cooled. that's why using fan to blow

at the tank will lower abit. but maximum expect 27c best.

with chiller easily go to 25-27c.

• SRC Member

If u not into mh then use the fans. I used to use a chiller & becos the tank is not in aircon rm, it goes on pretty often giving out hot air & noise. Then I switch to fans & still works prety well. My chiller is now rusting away in the store rm.

Main Tank : 48 inch by 36 inch by 28 inch (2 sides starphire glass)
Sump Tank :
Return Pump :
Chiller : Starmax Compressor 1 HP Drop coil
Chiller Return Pump
Protein Skimmer :
Wave Maker :
Fluidised Reactor :

• SRC Member

Hi Bro

i using a cooling fan... the water evaporate quite fast...

u can try it... i was told u can lower the temperature to 26-27 if u use 2 cooling fan...

but for me i using 1 only... n it really cool the water.. maintence it at 27-27.5 degree cel everyday....

if u have budget try using cooling fan...

• SRC Member
chiller or fan..??

evaporation will cause the heat to be "carried away", so the

temp in tank is cooled. that's why using fan to blow

at the tank will lower abit. but maximum expect 27c best.

with chiller easily go to 25-27c.

True...However, if it's just FOWLR tank, fans can do. Till you invest in the highly acclaimed 'manually landscaped' reef gardens that some of the members are having. :P

With the 6-fan type, ever get to 26c for a 4ft FOWLR tank

• SRC Member

The fan will proof worthless when the heat wave hits Singapore during the mth of March to July. Some tanks using fans can hit as high as 30c

2ft cube with 2.5 sump

400w MH with 6 x 24w blue T5

Hydor wavemaker controller

Aquatronica controller

Daikin compressor with double coil

RM CR

H&S out sump skimmer

• SRC Member

I can understand that cos when started this hobby, me too using fan but that a hassle when seecing the temp go up and down .That's why I bought a chiller to ease my worry

2ft cube with 2.5 sump

400w MH with 6 x 24w blue T5

Hydor wavemaker controller

Aquatronica controller

Daikin compressor with double coil

RM CR

H&S out sump skimmer

• SRC Member

then use fan first lah. When u hv more cash in future then upgrade if u want to. To be very honest I not really a chiller supporter but soemtimes depending on the type of stuff u want to keep, a chille rmay be the only alternative

Main Tank : 48 inch by 36 inch by 28 inch (2 sides starphire glass)
Sump Tank :
Return Pump :
Chiller : Starmax Compressor 1 HP Drop coil
Chiller Return Pump
Protein Skimmer :
Wave Maker :
Fluidised Reactor :

• SRC Member

At first i got one with 4 fan in a roll , the one you commonly see in the LFS, cost around $70. Regret buying, noisy and after two months one by one die off. Remove the whole set and went to Sim Lim Tower , got one that cost $18. Just

drill hole and tie with ty rap. now very satisfied just that i need to top up with

kalkwasser water (drippinp method) to replenish the lost water due to evaporation.

• SRC Member
At first i got one with 4 fan in a roll , the one you commonly see in the LFS, cost around $70. Regret buying, noisy and after two months one by one die off. Remove the whole set and went to Sim Lim Tower , got one that cost $18. Just

drill hole and tie with ty rap. now very satisfied just that i need to top up with

kalkwasser water (drippinp method) to replenish the lost water due to evaporation.

heard alot on this kalkwasser thing. what is it exactly and what is the purpose. Care to explain as i'm ver new to the hobby.

Thanks.

• SRC Member

A fan will cause large amount of evaporation so you will have to top up with fresh water everyday.But it is a way to cool down the temp of the tank if it is hot.

it's also a great way cos u dont need to change water weekly since u r topping up new fresh water into ur tank every few days. everyday i top up a little bit so at all times, got 'fresh' water in tank.