Voltron2000

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member

got it from sealife.

:lol: when did sealife came in suncoral

Selling big game fishing equipment. Stella 20k / 17k .. made in Japan jigging blue rose / kabuzu popping rod... pm for prices

• SRC Member

ok...agree to retract if yiling's doing fine

do keep me informed

when did he buy it?

hmm seems like my red sun has cause quite a stir ;)

hey Shoe, i believe my sun is from the same batch as your so called 'dyed' sun. It must've been really frustrating when your friend's sun turned orange.

But the funny part is, the person that dyed mustve been really skillful with his works as some parts of the skeleton still shows the original skeleton.

As for mine, its still looks the same from DAY 1 since i bought it....Red with orange tentacles..

Whether dyed or not, we'll let time tell. I wouldn't want it to be dyed either.

Like DA said, such accusations will caused some LFS to suffer.

• SRC Member

no worries here bro yiling, i would also like to know if its dyed because if its not, well chiong ah!

but if it is, then we must raise awareness before unwary reefers get disappointed yet again and again

do keep us posted brother :)

as for my friend being frustrated, well, it wasn't my friend, the sun was in the main tank of reborn...if its still there might wanna check out the sun losing its red colour

• SRC Member
sealife sell hard corals?!!

chrisyew:you wanna pay that much for sth that will fade and turn orange with time?

why do u have to mention " chrisyew:you wanna pay that much for sth that will fade and turn orange with time?"

has it been confirmed that it is dyed? ;)

if not please do not make such statement here...unless proven otherwise... <_<

• SRC Member
why do u have to mention " chrisyew:you wanna pay that much for sth that will fade and turn orange with time?"

has it been confirmed that it is dyed? ;)

if not please do not make such statement here...unless proven otherwise... <_<

yupz

so sorry about that statement

when i came back to edit that post minutes after i posted it, already can't edit

so sorry about the tone used :)

in any case, went checking around a few coral books, still can't find red sun, only orange and black... :lol:

very excited to know if the red is real colour

• SRC Member

yupz

when i came back to edit that post minutes after i posted it, already can't edit

in any case, went checking around a few coral books, still can't find red sun, only orange and black... :lol:

nxt time try not to give such comment without taking into consideration wat will happen the nxt moment........... :blink:

because most of your posting may wake up some sleeping giants. :blink:

• SRC Member

there are red color ones la. I dun think they are dyed.

Family Dendrophylliidae

Tubastrea Aurea - [Red or yellow cup] Natural pigment yellow to shiny orange.

Medium large polyp. Tentacles partially extended during the

day and fully at night.

http://w3page.com/fishline/coral.html

and also this linked website's article below at paragraph 7

http://www.bomani.com/sunpolyps.html

When you guys mention red sun coral, is it only the tissue on the outside or does it include the tentacles as well? If it's the tissue colouration then it might be possible as I've seen dive photos of sun corals that look pinkish red when closed during the day. It would be harder to believe if the tentacles of the polyp are red too.

As for the fading of red sun corals, it might occur even if they are not dyed. This might be due to nutritional deficiencies in captivity compared to their natural food in the wild where these red specimens are found. The zooplankton that they consume might have higher levels of natural pigments like carotenoids. Afterall, suncorals are azooxanthellate and UV-shielding pigments in zooxanthellae can't account for their bright colours. It is well documented for many species that fading of body colour will occur if removed from natural conditions. For example: if u take a bright pink or red flamingo from the wild and you feed it a different diet, you'll probably end up with a faint pink or even a white flamingo in no time.

Basically what I think contributes to colouration of sun corals in captivity is a blend of genetic and dietary reasons.

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

When you guys mention red sun coral, is it only the tissue on the outside or does it include the tentacles as well? If it's the tissue colouration then it might be possible as I've seen dive photos of sun corals that look pinkish red when closed during the day. It would be harder to believe if the tentacles of the polyp are red too.

As for the fading of red sun corals, it might occur even if they are not dyed. This might be due to nutritional deficiencies in captivity compared to their natural food in the wild where these red specimens are found. The zooplankton that they consume might have higher levels of natural pigments like carotenoids. Afterall, suncorals are azooxanthellate and UV-shielding pigments in zooxanthellae can't account for their bright colours. It is well documented for many species that fading of body colour will occur if removed from natural conditions. For example: if u take a bright pink or red flamingo from the wild and you feed it a different diet, you'll probably end up with a faint pink or even a white flamingo in no time.

Basically what I think contributes to colouration of sun corals in captivity is a blend of genetic and dietary reasons.

so shoe... someone has spoken.. I guess you gotta remove hat red sun from the list... cos your opinion of that red sun is dyed through the one that is losing its colour..... Like fuel said the losing of colour may due to diet ;)

yupz

Actually, there is so many things we still dun know about mother nature.

So lets not be too judgmental when we dun have enough knowledge. :D

Sometimes, its pays more if we could just sit back and observe rather than splurting misinformation at the drop of a pin. :D

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron
Australian Institute of Marine Science

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F
Please visit us here: http://www.facebook....uaristSocietySG
Facebook Group: http://www.facebook....gid=34281892381

• SRC Member
so shoe... someone has spoken.. I guess you gotta remove hat red sun from the list... cos your opinion of that red sun is dyed through the one that is losing its colour..... Like fuel said the losing of colour may due to diet ;)

yeah

struck it off the list ;)

fuel: the red sun that i saw and been talking about all this while is not pinkish red but ang pao red...any ideas on such colours in nature?

yeah

struck it off the list ;)

fuel: the red sun that i saw and been talking about all this while is not pinkish red but ang pao red...any ideas on such colours in nature?

Pink flamingos are the norm. However I have seen red flamingos. :peace:

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

• SRC Member

There are true ang pow red Sun Corals.....saw some in HK. You can also see them in the wild, just depends on where you dive - natural regional color variants. The tentacles will almost always be orangish, however.

Intelligent people talk about ideas......

Average people talk about things......

Small people talk about other people......