Golden Neon Goby & Neon Blue Goby

• SRC Member

Hi,

Is it ok to place a golden neon goby and a neon blue goby into the same tank?

Will the golden attack the blue?

I understand that the golden can grow up to 3" but the blue can grow up to only 1".

Also does anyone has Flame Angel or Royal Gramma that had attack these gobies before?

Thanks.

• SRC Member
So if orchid dottyback occasionally chases them, so Royal Gramma may also do so?

What about the question whether will the golden neon goby attack the neon blue goby?

Rgds.

Royal gamma are much less aggressive than orchid dottyback so I guess you have to take the chance then.

As for golden and blue neon goby, errrr....... Not too sure. But I do know that golden if not paired with fight to the death.

By the way, how big is your tank? Do you have lots of LRs?

dogdogsrd20060608_18_Elric%20is%20.png

bunbunsdb20071225_-8_Elroi%20is.png

webster1973%20player%20555.png

• SRC Member
Hi,

I understand that the golden can grow up to 3" but the blue can grow up to only 1".

Also does anyone has Flame Angel or Royal Gramma that had attack these gobies before?

Thanks.

Hi Bro,

I think the question is where to get the blue neon goby first, I hardly see any LFS selling it.

:D

• SRC Member
Royal gamma are much less aggressive than orchid dottyback so I guess you have to take the chance then.

I always thought that Royal Gramma are more agressive than orchid dottyback since orchid dotty is always touted as the least agressive among all dottys?

By the way, how big is your tank? Do you have lots of LRs?

2-ft with 6 big live rocks & different types of corals (Jewel, goniopora, hammers, zoos, suncorals, 4 types of fanworm, mushrooms)

Do both the blue & the golden goby eat itch parasites? I heard a lot about the golden eating itch but not the blue.

• SRC Member

I always thought that Royal Gramma are more agressive than orchid dottyback since orchid dotty is always touted as the least agressive among all dottys?

2-ft with 6 big live rocks & different types of corals (Jewel, goniopora, hammers, zoos, suncorals, 4 types of fanworm, mushrooms)

Do both the blue & the golden goby eat itch parasites? I heard a lot about the golden eating itch but not the blue.

Well, that will depend. Both my orchid dottybacks are able 3" big. Royal gamma aren't a bully unless it's a brazilian gamma.

I guess if you have enough rock works for both of them to hide that should prevent some fighting if they don't like each other.

I do notice that golden neon goby seems to be more active in cleaning ich than blue neon 1s.

dogdogsrd20060608_18_Elric%20is%20.png

bunbunsdb20071225_-8_Elroi%20is.png

webster1973%20player%20555.png

• SRC Member

Thanks Neokn,

You have more or less answered most of my questions.

Thanks for telling me that Brazillian Gramma are more agressive, that is new info to you, I shall avoid getting this fish.

Anyone has the 2 types of neon gobies staying happily or not happily together, please feel free to share.

• SRC Member

Learn from my mistake...

Today I went down to Iwarna to get two neon gobies.... but... but.... :(:(

They are the ultimate solution to cleaner wrasse... so I heard... because they are hardier...

They are best kept with big fishes - angels and tangs.... so I heard... because they clean them including ich....

but little did I know, once I put them in... I did a BIG BIG MISTAKE of not feeding the fishes in my tank FULL first....

The moment I put the two small neon gobies into the tank, in less than 10 sec, they became food for my fishes...

Asfur Angel went to whack them, swallow and spit them out.... once they were faint-liked, they were finished off by my Klunzinger Wrasse in one gulp...

So there goes my $40 (for the two neon goby) and $20 for cab fare to Iwarna....

Like this gone liao....

So please learn from my mistake....

• SRC Member

Hi Seamonkee,

So sorry to hear of your plight and appreciate that you share yr experience with us so we won't make the same mistake. Yes, agree! Should feed those hungry fish 1st or else anything that's added and moves will be gobbled up.

Hope you will get over it soon.

• SRC Member

Moral of the story... big fish EAT small fish... as long as it fits the mouth.... regardless of race, language or religion.... :lol::D

With the torpedo shape of the neon goby... it does make good feeder fish for many other big fishes...

• SRC Member
Moral of the story... big fish EAT small fish... as long as it fits the mouth.... regardless of race, language or religion.... :lol::D

With the torpedo shape of the neon goby... it does make good feeder fish for many other big fishes...

Very true irregardless whether you have fed your other fishes first, it's only a matter of time before they are consumed. :cry2:

• SRC Member
;) Dont think the dwarf angels will grow big enuf and fast enuff to swallow the neons la bro...

My Tank

Save A Horse, Ride A Cowboy

• SRC Member
Learn from my mistake...

Today I went down to Iwarna to get two neon gobies.... but... but.... :(:(

They are the ultimate solution to cleaner wrasse... so I heard... because they are hardier...

They are best kept with big fishes - angels and tangs.... so I heard... because they clean them including ich....

but little did I know, once I put them in... I did a BIG BIG MISTAKE of not feeding the fishes in my tank FULL first....

The moment I put the two small neon gobies into the tank, in less than 10 sec, they became food for my fishes...

Asfur Angel went to whack them, swallow and spit them out.... once they were faint-liked, they were finished off by my Klunzinger Wrasse in one gulp...

So there goes my $40 (for the two neon goby) and $20 for cab fare to Iwarna....

Like this gone liao....

So please learn from my mistake....

*pEnGz* learn from mistakes bro. though an expensive and hard to come by chance.

Everything's sold. Back in 2yrs time.

ga051025.gif

If it's a WRX, it gotta be STI.

av-24.gif

Hi,

Thanks.

Most likely is yes... But i think if there is ample space and introduced at the same time, shouldnt be any problem...

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

Well, that will depend. Both my orchid dottybacks are able 3" big. Royal gamma aren't a bully unless it's a brazilian gamma.

I guess if you have enough rock works for both of them to hide that should prevent some fighting if they don't like each other.

I do notice that golden neon goby seems to be more active in cleaning ich than blue neon 1s.

Thats because most blue neon are captive bred ;)

• SRC Member
I have a long-nose hawkfish.

Wonder whether it will gobble down the neon goby if added to the tank?

My longnose hawk swim away, whenever yellow neon goby wants to service him.

Life is like a peice of Uncured Live Rock [ from LFS ], you never know what you gonna get.........

Ocean Gump