problem with ben timer not off-ing my lights

shoelevy

• SRC Member

recently i bought 2 new ben timers for my mh lights

its programmed to turn off at 2230...but for some reason, after 2230, although the timer has already turned into the off position, the lights are still on

i faced this problem with both timers although both are plugged into seperate sockets

i tried testing the timers on other electrical appliances in my house and found that they weren't faulty....but when i try it back at the lights, the same problem comes back.

i believe someone did mention facing a problem like this before but i can't find the thread

can anyone help?

I hope that you know how to set the settings!!, the ring tab is in 15mins interval, e.g you set it to I (on!!) you depress the tabs for the duration of the time you want 8hours, all the tab down for the 8hours......not one!! as a guy did for me and claim the BEn was spoilt.I found it very simple to use.( if this is not your problem, ignore this

vipersig.jpg

I also have some bad experience with the Ben timers.

Same problem with them not switching off when they are suppose to and switching on when the status is supose to be off. :angry:

I notice that they can not take too high Watt or Amp rating products like 250W MH as the heat causes them to malfunction.

Have since convert to using Diel Digital timer for MH controls and no problems faced so far. But of course more ex $$ but gives you the flexiblility to set different on off states on indivdiual days or week. :D

Just me 2 cents :D

• SRC Member
recently i bought 2 new ben timers for my mh lights

its programmed to turn off at 2230...but for some reason, after 2230, although the timer has already turned into the off position, the lights are still on

i faced this problem with both timers although both are plugged into seperate sockets

i tried testing the timers on other electrical appliances in my house and found that they weren't faulty....but when i try it back at the lights, the same problem comes back.

i believe someone did mention facing a problem like this before but i can't find the thread

can anyone help?

it happens to me too, and it have to happen when no body was at home the whole night. :cry: coral all stress and mabok.

here's wat i did.

you plug everything in and switch on the power, then turn the blue manual overide knob to on or off (doesn't matter), then turn the knob again if you need to get it to your preferred setting.

After that it works like a clock and I never touch it again

No gaurantee it will work here for u but if it doesn't, then next time buy from Carrefour, they offers money back gaurantee :D

I believe its the mechanism inside that by doing so allows it to sit into the correct position to activate during the preset time.

Also, the power load may matters here but so far I don have bars of high powered MH to prove this point. But you may wan to use a seperate timer if you have higher loads.

• SRC Member

wow...so many bad reviews? :(

hey vinceire, i noticed the same thing as you in that when i switched them from 250W mh to lower powered devices( <100W), they work fine, and when i swtiched them back, kapoof, same problem <_<

currently switched to older german one in store room which i used fine with the mh lamps before switching the ben thinking it was better...oh well.

hey vinceire and ervine, where can i find digital timers?

Yo Bro...that is what I suspected too.

The brand that I am using "Diel" can be found in any hardware shop or if you are lazy to go hunt around like me, can go Home Fix to buy.

A bit more expensive (About $35+)but can use Visa/MC :D

I think some cards like Safra or Ikea Friends card entitle to 5% discount..

:rolleyes:

hi,

Had problem with that too. Short of using those industrial type contactor(?), I guess all we can do is try our luck. I tried 3 the ben on my 2x150W eballast. The contact always got stuck after 1 on/off cycle. At the end I found a electronic timer at Carrefour Plaza Sing that has a current rating of 16A. That works ok so far. Cost me about $36.

• SRC Member
hi,

Had problem with that too. Short of using those industrial type contactor(?), I guess all we can do is try our luck. I tried 3 the ben on my 2x150W eballast. The contact always got stuck after 1 on/off cycle. At the end I found a electronic timer at Carrefour Plaza Sing that has a current rating of 16A. That works ok so far. Cost me about $36.

same symptoms as me...looks like its a case of high power drawn from the timer again

thanks for your input bloodlamb

any problems with the digi timer so far?

how long have you had it?

you're using it on the same 300W e ballast?

• SRC Member
I bought 2 recently in March and both konk off already !!!!! :( 

Will never buy them again!!!

The S$9.90 ones (special price at Carefour at one time) lasts longer though they are double in size.

My $10 timer last more than one yr, still using it for 2*150W MH

bro, u need digi timers do pm me. :D

300 Gallon Reef Paradise

6X2.5X2.5 FT Tank : 4x2x2 ft sump : 2x1x2 ft refugim

Skimmer: Deltec AP851

Calcium Reactor:

Lightings: Aqualight T5 Retrofit, 150 watt MH X2

Chiller: Hailea HC-500A model w/ Aquabee 2000

Ozonizer: Hailea HLO-300 Digital ozonizer

Wavemaker: Tunze 6080, Tunze 6060

Return Pumps: Aquabee 5000 x2

Other equipments: Aquabee 2000, Quietone 1200, 5L Co2 Cylinder w/ Dupla regulator

American Marine Wireless Thermometer

Reefing is a dedication, not a competition.

• SRC Member

i have always wanted to upgrade to digital timers but then my the ben timer has been serving me well so I din bother...

It seems like the ben timers got some QC problems or something, some people love em, some people hate em...

I had this problem. 5 different timers failed after 24-48 hours. The contact burns and sticks together. I took them apart to release the contacts.

Interesting that it only happened when i switched to Hamilton 250W or Phoenix bulbs. Once i put the BLV's back i had no timer problems

THeben timers are of good quality as I have been using the same timers since 1999 unitl now and they are powering up 250 and 400W mH. The problem that you mentioned is similar to what I experienced that I suspect is due to the wearing out of the mechanical camming surface that activates the on/off switch inside the timer. The problem goes away by using different time set point to on/ off your lighting.

I had only one failure since 1999 where the contact may have been damaged by arcing during start up of a 400w MH lamp.

THey are cheap and good and realiable. My MH lamps still run on them.

You may want to check though if the newer ones are OEMed from another country as quality might be lower than those that I bought years ago.

• SRC Member

looks like there are mixed review.

but indeed the negative ones are quite "afew" compared to the good ones written here

perhaps it would be prudent to stay away from it if using on high powered gadgets since its results are not consistent

• SRC Member

So far no problem in using them, found them quite reliable and affordable.

My Beautiful ANGEL - Matsushima Nanako

Equipment List for 4x2x2 Tank & 3x1.5x1.5 Sump

Hagen 802 x 2, Tunze 6060, Arcadia T5 (54W x 8), Eheim 1260 (return) Eheim 1250 (Chiller), Aquabee 300 x 2 (Feed)

H&S 150-F2001 (850l Skimmer), H&S A110-F2000 (400l Skimmer), H&S 110-F1000 (1000l Sulphur/Nitrate Filter), H&S 150-F2000IA (800l Calcium Reactor)

Coralife 3X (UV Steriliser), I-Aquatic IF 312 (Fluidised Reactor), Kent Kalk Delivery, Resun CL650, Pinpoint ORP & PH Meters & Wireless Thermometer

4x2x2 Tank Thread

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

Had the same problem recently. Found out that the "live" leg of the 3 pin plug got a burnt mark.

Went to a hardware store to look for a reliable timer. Turned out that there is this aircon timer that uses 3 "round" leg and the timer is rated for 3500w. Has anyone tried this? I'm trying it now, so far so good. Only thing is that you have to convert the plug from square legs to round legs.