Skimmer for nanos~

• SRC Member

greetings reeflings :D

i've read about nano reef articles in nano-reef.com and the writer mentioned that: The natural method of filtration consists of only liverock and livesand. No protein skimmers are used and no additives are dosed.

so....if i were to start a simple 2feeter tank....and not using a skimmer....is that ok? :unsure:

:thanks:

-GinGerFisH86

I stopped using a skimmer for about 1 month for my nano too (but it is only a 1 footer). So far so good. But, I have a very low bioload and a change about 15-20% water every 2 weeks.

Guess it depends on the type of tank you want. If softies, I think should be OK.

SPS, need very good water quality (so I heard) and skimmer is good for this case.

Let us know your decision.

Good luck.

i knoe reefers who run a beckett for 2 footer. if its within ur budget. . why not? :D

300 Gallon Reef Paradise

6X2.5X2.5 FT Tank : 4x2x2 ft sump : 2x1x2 ft refugim

Skimmer: Deltec AP851

Calcium Reactor:

Lightings: Aqualight T5 Retrofit, 150 watt MH X2

Chiller: Hailea HC-500A model w/ Aquabee 2000

Ozonizer: Hailea HLO-300 Digital ozonizer

Wavemaker: Tunze 6080, Tunze 6060

Return Pumps: Aquabee 5000 x2

Other equipments: Aquabee 2000, Quietone 1200, 5L Co2 Cylinder w/ Dupla regulator

American Marine Wireless Thermometer

Reefing is a dedication, not a competition.

• SRC Member

For me, if you your tank have high bioload, a number of FISHES, a skimmer is a MUST. I love red sea prizm skimmer, very stylish and neat. =]

My new nano 1ft cube acutally was suppose to have a skimmer, but the bloody tankmaker made a mistake and didint follow my intructions. But I reflected and realise that I dont need one becos my tank is oging to just have Corals and loads of inverts. i'll post pictures of my tank soon :)

• SRC Member

wow thanks for all dah advice....

i'll actually will juz add one or two fishes in dah tank....

but anyway i will heed u guy's advice and get a skimmer....probably get an air driven one first.....spend dah $ on other equipment first

-GinGerFisH86

• SRC Member
I have a 2 ft tank at home. Better be safe use skimmer cos sometimes, things like work commitments and family interest can make us forget abt water change and measuring the water parameter. I'm using an air driven skimmer for my 2ft.

What is an air driven skimmer? What is the usual brand for such a skimmer and roughly how much will it cost? Any lfs selling such a skimmer? Is it hang outside the tank or need a sump? Thank you.

• SRC Member

air driven is those skimmer that using an airstone

dymax has airdriven skimmers

price not sure but i think less than 10 and err u need to place it 1/2 submerge in ur tank.. u will understand when u see the product

• SRC Member
Picture for ur info

proteinskimmer.jpg

Thanks for the info.

But since it's a nano tank and there is already not enough space, by placing the skimmer half submerged in the tank, wouldn't it occupy lots of space?

I'm having a 2ft nano tank too and I'm awared that it's good to have a skimmer. But due to the high cost and bulkiness of it, I'm still hesitating and looking for a smaller hang on type and probably less than $100. Understand there are some that suit but I've also read that the noise and salt spraying problem. Just don't wish to rush to buy something and later find that it's not suitable and end up posting in the sell/buy thread hehe. Hope you all understand a newbie thoughts. :D

• SRC Member
Why don't you try the Macro needlewheel instead? It can be hung at the back of your tank.

Its not too expensive either, cost below $100.

:thanks: koniyakutz for the information :D

i agree with chrisyew that since its a nano....a skimmer 1/2 submerged in da tank will occupy a nano's important factor: space....

so koniyakutz's suggestion is a good one..... :thanks:

-GinGerFisH86

• SRC Member

Thanks for the info.

But since it's a nano tank and there is already not enough space, by placing the skimmer half submerged in the tank, wouldn't it occupy lots of space?

I'm having a 2ft nano tank too and I'm awared that it's good to have a skimmer. But due to the high cost and bulkiness of it, I'm still hesitating and looking for a smaller hang on type and probably less than $100. Understand there are some that suit but I've also read that the noise and salt spraying problem. Just don't wish to rush to buy something and later find that it's not suitable and end up posting in the sell/buy thread hehe. Hope you all understand a newbie thoughts. :D

therefore, you need a hang on type.

AquaC makes very good hang on type but price may be high. Unless you see yourself using it for long term. Red Sea prizm is lower priced but there are mixed opnion about it. At the lower end is Via Aqua and Jebo, but the Jebo has a bigger pump inside tank.

i also having a small tank with 2 nemo inside. Do i need a skimmer also?Asked my BF if i need a skimmer but he say don't need but he himself is having one big one !! <_<

from what i know, a skimmer is to rid waste products in the tank.currently i think one of my nemo is sick ( got one eye bigger than the other. ) is this due to not having a skimmer for my tank? :huh:

• SRC Member
i also having a small tank with 2 nemo inside. Do i need a skimmer also?Asked my BF if i need a skimmer but he say don't need but he himself is having one big one !!

wahahaha..... :lol:

Your BF very unfair!!!.......