Help with Mazzei

supremo

• SRC Member

I installed a Mazzei between my pump and my skimmer, but instead of draggng air it's squirting water out from the hole. Any ideas what's wrong? :paiseh:

1. Via-Aqua MultiSkimmer - $25.00

2. DIY Kalk Reactor - $25.00

3. Atman Protein Skimmer - $25.00

PM Me if interested.

• SRC Member

did you follow the arrow of flow on the mazei

that could be the caurse

Selling big game fishing equipment. Stella 20k / 17k .. made in Japan jigging blue rose / kabuzu popping rod... pm for prices

• SRC Member

bro mazzei can be install at the outlet leh

*yup :) *

Edited by roidan

Selling big game fishing equipment. Stella 20k / 17k .. made in Japan jigging blue rose / kabuzu popping rod... pm for prices

The mazzei should be at the outlet of the pump instead of the inlet(suction) side....

those venturis at the inlet(suction) side are the venturis in the needlewheel skimmers whereby air is drawn in together with water and then undergoes shredding by the needlewheel impeller....

venturis like mazzei or beckett are at the outlet side to enjoy the pressurized jet of water through them :)

• SRC Member
:( Bro, I placed the injector between the outlet of the pump and the input of the skimmer. correct right? By the way, I know Mazzei is a brand, but the one I have says KENT and it has no arrow lah. For this particular model, the injector chamber is slightly nearer to one side than the other, so I connected the side nearer to the chamber to the pump output, and the side further from the chamber to the skimmer input. Is this correct?

PM Me if interested.

• SRC Member

yeah bro, probably. was thinking of closing the input hose of the built in venturi of the red sea :(

PM Me if interested.

My guess goes like this.....

If you had been using the original venturi, the strong flow of water will be restricted by the redsea venturi, drawing air before facing a pressure drop after the venturi into the body of the skimmer....

But in your case now, the strong flow of water past the mazzei injector will *attempt* to draw air too, but remember this time after this first injector, there isn't a real pressure drop into the chamber of the skimmer. Instead, there is yet the original injector awaiting not too far away that restricts the flow again, this may cause the back pressure that actually leads to your first injector shooting water out instead of ###### in air because of the lack of *pressure drop zone* after this first injector.

Just my hypothesis :)

• SRC Member

makes sense bro, a very good educated guess :D

oh well, i guess i'll keep my injector 1st and see if got any lobang needlewheel skimmer around to experiment with. at least i think needlewheel skimmers don't have a venturi section

thanks for all the help bro

PM Me if interested.

no problem bro...just my guess anyway...hehe

btw, needlewheel skimmers do have a venturi also, but like i said earlier, their venturi happens at the intake (suction) side of the pump so that air can be drawn in, chopped by the impeller into the fine fine bubbles that needlewheels are famous for....

But I think not many will know that such venturis are vastly different from orthodox venturis because needlewheel venturis are far far less restrictive in the chamber design :)

Output side venturis (mazzei/beckett)have small restriction to pressurize the water flow through them to produce small bubbles....too big a bore size will result in less pressurization and ultimately large bubbles....so they have small bore sizes in order to produce small bubbles but u need a strong pump to drive through an obviously small bore.

Input side venturis (needlewheels) have a wider bore in the chamber with the sole purpose of ###### in sufficient amount of air to be chopped up in the next stage in the impeller chamber. Thus this kinda of venturis need not be as small bored as the output side cousins above...as the job of producing small bubbles is handed over to the needlewheel impellers. ;)

My personal observation and deduction :)

• SRC Member

how come my post is being edited har ??

hahahahahha

• SRC Member

When using mazzei, u got to take out the Red Sea Skimmer Original venturi. U should have a small plastic peice (For removing the venturi) tool when u purchase the RSB skimmer. Firstly unscrew the air inlet section, then u can remove the venturi. They actually sell a small plastic stopper to close the original air inlet section. However if u do not have it, then u got to put back the air inlet section and use a small tubing attach to it's. On the other end of the tubing, just seal it's off! Your new air inlet will now be at the kent venturi valve. Happy trying!

post-9-1115483543.jpg

• SRC Member

hi bro .. i have a more technical explaination why it squit water instead of ###### air.

The inlet of the venturi has to be high pressure and the outlet (which u connect to the slimmer) have to be lower pressure, then it will suck air in .. becos when water flow thru the constriction the pressure reduce so it suck air..

if the outlet side is block or got obstruction, the pressure on the outlet side will be higher.. so the easiest way for the water to flow is the place with the least pressure .. which is ur air intake..

so .. try to remove the original air inlet.. after that should not be any problem liao ..

• SRC Member
When using mazzei, u got to take out the Red Sea Skimmer Original venturi. U should have a small plastic peice (For removing the venturi) tool when u purchase the RSB skimmer. Firstly unscrew the air inlet section, then u can remove the venturi. They actually sell a small plastic stopper to close the original air inlet section. However if u do not have it, then u got to put back the air inlet section and use a small tubing attach to it's. On the other end of the tubing, just seal it's off! Your new air inlet will now be at the kent venturi valve. Happy trying!

bro, can i borrow that tool to remove the venturi?

bought it second hand and the original owner is still

checking in his storeroom, i doubt he'll still have it though.

by the way, would there be an improvement? anybody

tried it? cause when I was trying to remove the air inlet,

it seems to be jammed so I think this is going to be a 1 way

road, no turning back once I open it up :unsure:

PM Me if interested.

• SRC Member

Supremo..sry i can't lend u the tool anymore cos i sold the skimmer away long time ago. I did not use a mazzei venturi for my skimmer..infact i get a reefer to mod the original pump to a needlewheel technology. But i still need to remove the original valve. without the tool, u still can easily remove it's using a plier and a bigger flat head screw driver.

No..the air inlet is tight cos i think they did use those white tape to wrap the screw thread. Remove it's using a plier first...then look into the water inlet portion.. u should see the venturi valve..use a bigger flat head screwdriver and slowly turn it's out.

Infact u can go to Red Sea Website and download the manual. It's show u how to remove it's for general maintenance.

• SRC Member

Try connecting a long air hose to your mazzei injector air inlet. The air hose must be higher level than your skimmer water level.

If the above method fails, try your best to make sure the path after the mazzei injector (outlet) is cleared to prevent back pressure causing the water squirk.

I'm intending to install a mazzei injector at my pump discharge too, like ur mod on my Macro JS-350 venturi skimmer to see if the skimming performance can be improved. Looking for a mazzei injector right now.

Keep us informed of any update to your mod.

Eric

• SRC Member

bro, you want I could lend you the Kent Venturi 1st? I got another DIY project in progress lah so no time to tinker with the skimmer. Let you test first so if it works you can continue to look for your own set later. At least no money wasted if it doesn't work too well. I also benefit cause I would know if there really a great difference. :D

PM Me if interested.