Icecap 660 Ballasts

marinebetta

• SRC Member

I'm talking to Icecap about getting the IC660 ballasts in 220V. Getting them beefed up to take x4 80W T5 tubes. Don't know the price yet but have asked them if they will consider a discount for bulk orders. If anyone is interested, just add to the thread so I can get a gauge of numbers.

As a rough guide, I was quoted US$199.90 before shipping......so it's pretty ex.

Intelligent people talk about ideas......

Average people talk about things......

Small people talk about other people......

• SRC Member

Yeah, I know.....on some websites, IC 660 220V is around $169 or so, about $10 more than 110V. Think they may be charging a premium for the mod (not a standard item).

Anyway, I am dealing direct with Icecap - they have agreed to sell to me direct due to the unusual request. Just that I don't have a price from them yet.....

• SRC Member

Just a note, remember to buy or ensure the ballast includes the wiring harness or else it will be a pain to get the connector and wire it yourself.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member

BTW, it is cheaper to make the 220V eballast for both FL and MH than making the 110V. In this case, it is the economy of scale that rules the price. BTW $169 is a fair price....the pain is the shipping, unless you have enough volume to split the freight cost?

Anyway I'll be in States next week....but 220v is not available at all US retail stores, except for European model e-ballast for MH. So the price will be around SGD $300 before freight, sound gd if the freight is substantially reduce thru a cheaper carrier.

:P

Max

• SRC Member
Tanzy, technically, can our blueline e-ballast run VHO tubes with some conversion? ;)

You should no better than to hijack a thread! Bad admin! BAD.

Even if you could modify it to run VHO, how are you going to get at the internal parts? The Bluelines are encased in epoxy. The operating voltage for VHO and MH are different anyway.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member

:upsidedown::yeah: BTW, just to highlight 2 things,

220V IC 660 is impossible to purchase in US Retail...not available at all...only available direct or online under special order, which is still ship from IC. :o

Most Retail Store are easily 10%~50% more ex. :( than the online web store.....we have not add the tax yet. :blink:

I guess the OBJECTIVE :whistle here is economy of scale, the more buyer the cheaper the freight and maybe a discount on the part price as well?

So get the number rolling........... :upsidedown::yeah::upsidedown::yeah::upsidedown::yeah:

• SRC Member

Just some additional info: Icecap have not tried the 660 with 4 80W T5s yet but the believe it should work as they have done 110V mods. Apparently the 220V should be able to put out more power than the 110V so should be OK. They are trying it out this week and will let me know by the end of the week.

As for dimming, they are not sure dimming will work with T5s and have recommended that I let someone else try it out first :blink::D Anyway, they will add the mod in case it will be needed.

So......anyone want one??

Max, you have PM.

• SRC Member

Hmmm....no one interested?? :(

Just got a pricing back from Icecap. Since our sponsor is now offering the ballast, I won't publish the price here....All I can say is that it's pretty good, and there's a 10% discount for bulk orders but I need at least one more ballast to make the numbers!

PM me if you want to know the price.

Hai...was really hoping to get 1...but I look at the price...not within my means now..guess I will have to wait till I start working full-time.

Anyway...nice meeting you Marinebetta...din know I actually know you already... :D...next time when I have any problems with anything maybe I could just pm you? :angel:

Btw..nice red sea butterflies.. :P

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/