Carynn's 4ft X 2ft X 2.5ft

cityofangels

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member

Newmarine, I think cityofangel is a she..........

I just commission my beckett yesterday, still need fine

tuning the water valve. Just then when I reach home, I saw the

skim-mate very thick but slow, adjusted the valve abit, next

the cup over-flow. Now still monitoring, hopefully it will not

effect the SPS.(itchy finger)

• SRC Member

newmarine: Nope, my Copperband doesn't nip at my corals. I bought the CB from a fellow reefer who had successfully kept it in a LPS tank. But unfortunately, my CB died on Christmas Eve after swimming onto my sponge on top of my overflow pipe. :cry::cry::cry2:

Dorado: So what type of skim mate is better? Thick or thin? Dark or light colour? :unsure:

• SRC Member

So is green skim-mate good or bad? Or are darker colours better? :unsure:

You know this Bomber guy in RC... he says that if you skim wet, skimmate look like Japanese tea, or German light beer, you export bacterial flock and Phytoplankton. If you think about it, our tank have all that necessary to culture them naturally. Wet skimmate is usually, green at night and light brown in the day. If its light brown its bacteria flock that you're exporting.

Along with these, you also pick up alot of detritus, and POM, with wet skimming. These are removed before they get chance to break down.

Dark skimmate takes a longer time to produce, requires a great deal of power, i.e. stronger pump. Skimmers that can produced dark/forthy/pastey skimmate well, are usually big skimmers, powered by big pumps and the water in the main chamber is expected to 'dwell' longer.

Its has not been scientifically established which is actually better... actually I've not come across any... :ph34r:

• SRC Member

You know this Bomber guy in RC... he says that if you skim wet, skimmate look like Japanese tea, or German light beer, you export bacterial flock and Phytoplankton. If you think about it, our tank have all that necessary to culture them naturally. Wet skimmate is usually, green at night and light brown in the day. If its light brown its bacteria flock that you're exporting.

Along with these, you also pick up alot of detritus, and POM, with wet skimming. These are removed before they get chance to break down.

Dark skimmate takes a longer time to produce, requires a great deal of power, i.e. stronger pump. Skimmers that can produced dark/forthy/pastey skimmate well, are usually big skimmers, powered by big pumps and the water in the main chamber is expected to 'dwell' longer.

Its has not been scientifically established which is actually better... actually I've not come across any... :ph34r:

so good to have wet or Black skimate.

me getting black skimmate for now....

I am just an average FR (fish reefing) writer. If you like my FRs, please upz my points.

It kind of depends on what skimmer you are using.

For my case, I cannot tune my water level any lower and due to the large quantity of bubbles produced, my skimmate is always wet.

I do prefer wetter skimmate though as the maintenance is lesser.

But if you tame me, we shall need each other.

To me, you will be unique in all the world.

To you, I shall be unique in all the world...

You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.

-Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Keep our hobby sustainable, participate in fragging NOW

CHAETO Farmer FarmerDan.gif

• SRC Member

cityofaangels...nice tank and nice scaping :) It's a bit scary to take on a major rescaping exercise. I like the two mounds of rock, and it looks like more room for your fish to swim. Great work!

Real reefs don't have glass bottoms....(...think about it)

• SRC Member
I finally got around to doing that major rescape, which I have been wanting to do for ages, with the indispensable help of friends. Thanks HEAPS, guys!! :):peace:

Landscape before..

long nose butterfly! ! ! doesn't it "kiss" your coral?

nice scaping work!