Invisible acro-eating flatworms

Guys....for your info Flatworm Exit does not work on these acro flatworms...even at 10x the recommended dosage.

Had them before...best is to isolate the colony and do freshwater dips every 2 weeks till you don't find them anymore. Provided you don't kill off the already stressed out colony.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member

I saw Henry brought in some nudis, claiming to be flatworm eater? i think some nudis might work.

of cos dont get the wrong nudis, otherwise u can get e worst of both worlds :flatworm+nudi party in your little reef tank.

add in the notorious never-say-die apitasia, and your tank is on its way to being a coral graveyard! i hate api! :|

Get Paid To Read Emails. Free To Join Now!

http://www.emailcashpro.com/?r=okdk11

• SRC Member
I think they all died. Result: One highly stressed SPS coral.

Here back in my tank... releasing flourescent green zooxanthellae.... :cry:

Thats an incredible phenomenon, AT. Seeing the coral dispel them and the SPS bleaching.

Certainly is, Madmac!

Seeing a flourescent green smoky cloud rising above the coral was amazing.

Sad to say... the colony didn't make it. FW dips are stressful for corals. I hope I got the last of the invisible acro flatworms.

• SRC Member

Ahhh.....here it is...from Julian Sprung:

http://www.seaslugforum.net/display.cfm?id=3354

and i did saw the photo from that book..... ;)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Bill,

I was the aquarist/author to point out that Chelidonura varians eats the red acoel flatworms in aquariums. You can see my photos of this in the book The Reef Aquarium, Vol. 2.

They don't actually open and eat the contents of the worms as was mentioned by some observers. They literally suck them up like a vacuum. The stick out a proboscis that rapidly sucks them in. It is amazing to watch them "track" the worms and also it is remarkable that their shape essentially mimics the outline of the flatworms that they eat!

Best Regards,

Julian Sprung

julian@twolittlefishies.com

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• SRC Member
Certainly is, Madmac!

Seeing a flourescent green smoky cloud rising above the coral was amazing.

Sad to say... the colony didn't make it. FW dips are stressful for corals. I hope I got the last of the invisible acro flatworms.

thx for sharing...I've been following the zeovit thread in RC and theres a contention there about whether corals purge florescent pigments or colored zoox when stressed out, its all above my head ... and right here in our local board, we have you showing a pic of that amazing phenomenon.:)... this serves to explain how the bleaching comes about, we see in some corals sometimes.

sorry abt the loss... wishing you the best in your battle against those half-life pest.

Not sure if this would help, I came across a link on eliminating red-bugs : http://www.reefs.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=45859

• SRC Member

are all flat worms acro eating ? i just installed some lights in my sump area and i found this HUGE flat worm browny colour around 3-4 cm in length didnt see any others just him ... should i just killed it ?

• SRC Member
are all flat worms acro eating ? i just installed some lights in my sump area and i found this HUGE flat worm browny colour around 3-4 cm in length didnt see any others just him ... should i just killed it ?

Doesn't sound like a flat worm. More likely a type of slug... probably harmless. Did you take a picture?

I've seen a black flatworm the size of a saucer in Trang or Sipadan. ;)

You never know.... yeah a photo would be good for IDing...