Problem reading phosphate test kit...

ervine

• SRC Member

Hi guys..

I have a tropic marin phosphate test kit which i'm using only for the 2nd time..

Problem is... I can't seem to match the colours to the chart... when i put it over the <0.01 range it looks like it fits, but then I put it over the 0.05 range and it also fits then i move it over to the 0.1 range and AGAIN it fits...

i think coz the color of the chart reflecting into the vial?

or am i just colourblind...

How?

Erv.

• SRC Member
Hi guys..

I have a tropic marin phosphate test kit which i'm using only for the 2nd time..

Problem is... I can't seem to match the colours to the chart... when i put it over the <0.01 range it looks like it fits, but then I put it over the 0.05 range and it also fits then i move it over to the 0.1 range and AGAIN it fits...

How?

Erv.

hmmm hehe i think u are colourblind.... :P

• SRC Member

I guess you are not alone - that's the reason why I hesitate buying all these test kit as I'm also having trouble in differentiating the color especialy if they are the same color of different shade. So far, I'm onli having the Tropic Marin Nitrite/Nitrate test kit. :P

• SRC Member
Hi guys..

How?

Erv.

My daily test kit --------> check and monitor tank glass & sps body, if within 5 days need to clean glass, & sps body colour start to switch to darker tone means PO4 must be creeping up ,...........time to reduce feeding, change water, carbon & tune skimmer to wet mode.

Eric

• SRC Member

You are not alone, bro :D

although my problem is not with the brand you used, its not a surprise to heard this complaint :P

I do have an idea, yet have to test it out (kind of tedious):

- this idea do need some familiarity with PC and basic imaging stuff.

- get a digi cam snap a pic with the test result side by side with the color ref sheet.

- pump the pic into PC, then use some pic software to analyze the color code of the test result, and counter chk the color code against the ref sheet.

- I'm refering the color code is RGB (Red, Green, Blue) which give a numerical values for that color on that pixel.

Just an idea. :lol:

• SRC Member
You are not alone, bro :D

although my problem is not with the brand you used, its not a surprise to heard this complaint :P

I do have an idea, yet have to test it out (kind of tedious):

- this idea do need some familiarity with PC and basic imaging stuff.

- get a digi cam snap a pic with the test result side by side with the color ref sheet.

- pump the pic into PC, then use some pic software to analyze the color code of the test result, and counter chk the color code against the ref sheet.

- I'm refering the color code is RGB (Red, Green, Blue) which give a numerical values for that color on that pixel.

Just an idea. :lol:

wah high tech... but even this method there is a problem.. colour balancing and exposure settings must be dead on...

Also.. i realised under different lighting conditions the solution looks different.. for eg, under stronger lights it becomes clearer, under dimmer lights darker.. again i believe more so due to refraction and reflection of the surrounding..

BTW, is it ok to view it from the side instead? I know some sailfert ones you view from the side is more sensitive or something... for mine from the side the solution looks completely clear

• SRC Member

My daily test kit --------> check and monitor tank glass & sps body, if within 5 days need to clean glass, & sps body colour start to switch to darker tone means PO4 must be creeping up ,...........time to reduce feeding, change water, carbon & tune skimmer to wet mode.

Eric

I don't understand this tuning skimmer to wet mode.. how will that help? I've heard it before but I don't understand the logic behind it

• SRC Member

Skimmer at wet mode will give u quantity in terms of DOC so it wont have time to break down to PO4..............which is a faster solution to your problem..............

Dry mode will tend to skim more "Solid" particles then "Dissolved" particles.

Eric

• SRC Member
Skimmer at wet mode will give u quantity in terms of DOC so it wont have time to break down to PO4..............which is a faster solution to your problem..............

Dry mode will tend to skim more "Solid" particles then "Dissolved" particles.

Eric

understood....

• SRC Member

time to do a bulk order on PO4 meter liao. I'm tired of matching the color too even when I'm using the Salifert test kit. Everytime the color is "a-ga a-ga" (roughly). Sometime feel that why even bother to test when I cannot even get the result.

• SRC Member
Hi guys..

How?

Erv.

I use sun light but not direct.

• SRC Member
time to do a bulk order on PO4 meter liao. I'm tired of matching the color too even when I'm using the Salifert test kit. Everytime the color is "a-ga a-ga" (roughly). Sometime feel that why even bother to test when I cannot even get the result.

HAHA, so I'm really not alone having such thoughts. All the while, I thought I'm the onli one having such 'bad' eyesight! That's the main reason why I'm so reluctant to buy test kits hehe. :D

Hanna PO4 colorimeter price ard $350 excluding GST and reagent.

Reagent price ard $40 for 100pack excluding GST.

Avaliable from Hanna Singapore.

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

Just come across something, think there's such kind of device called "electronic colorimeter".

Don't really know what it is, although just peek some pic from the Google search. I guess its used to perform coloring matching in QA or lab purpose.

Gee.... if anyone have access to such thing, let us know about its "magic" for this hobby :D

• SRC Member
That one specifically only for PO4. Wonder can use a normal one for all other color chk?

i think there are others (including the Hanna) that can be configure to use against the test kits that requires color comparisions......but must be quite hard to learn how to configure it... ;)