Renovation Advise

RAV-65

the lorry deliver to SG. paiseh i dun have any contact for you to enquire further but definately cheaper. maybe some reefers here can view thier opnion on this or provide more info.

Thanxs anyway bro... any other advise I can get?! :P

People do not plan to fail; Often they just fail to plan...

Wat I do to prevent myself from tearing my hair out... My stress remedy...

post-34-1105890976.jpg

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• SRC Member

hey vincent,

i just bought a 3 rm flat a few months ago, and it was all done up. i only added some simple cabinates and sliding doors and something that's very very important, but easily overlooked.

its something that you won't regret either.

in your bathroom, buy the butt washing water squirting thing. its not expensive. and easy to install. just do your thing, you know, and squirt squirt, im done, hey what i eat for lunch

life's complicated enough without worrying about toilet paper running out at inopportune times.

plus, my cousins think its a water cooler so, you know, its entertaining as well.

just thought you might wanna consider that.....

henry

• SRC Member

stainless steel panels & stuff for kitchen are very nice indeed... but when it comes to maintenance and cleaning... boy.... you got a lot of hard work, trust me on this... unless you got a maid...

My plan for my kitchen stove area was to use stainless steel panel for back splash... Then was advise against it by a few contractors.

Then someone came up with this brilliant idea... the wall tiles over there has a dimension of 30x30cm so he advised me to change to BIG tiles of 90cm x90cm... rather than using stainless steel panels... by changing to BIG tiles, the number of grouts were also reduced.... trust me, oil stains on grouts can be a nightmare...

And yeah, $30k is quite a tight budget for a five room if you ask my honest opinion (somemore you are throwing in a tank).... So keep a close watch on the frills... ;)

My wife and I spent around $60k for basic reno for my five room alone (129sq meter).... maybe because I have parquet flooring for all the rooms.... that's why the price a bit jack up... BTW, this does not include my $5k 5-footer tank... a bit siong....

Last advice, In anything, think of practicality... bro. tayhonglee is right to suggest cabinet and drawer spaces as possible... it's always better to have more storage space around... really...

As for the butt spray... I have that too... cheap but please get a steel one.. those plastic ones crack very easily... I used it often to clean my fish tank skimmer cup then my butt actually... :lol::D

hey..

i would recommend you choose a contractor you dun know...

why?? so you can @*#+ wholeheartedly without any restraints if things dun go as plan....

i know many people and .... i myself too.. engaged friends or relatives to do the work and then they do a botched job and you paiseh to kowpei... kowpei too much strain relations!

so..choose someone you dun know... then it would be easier to settle disputes. but do look around scouting for best deals

have fun!

• SRC Member
in your bathroom, buy the butt washing water squirting thing. its not expensive. and easy to install. just do your thing, you know, and squirt squirt, im done, hey what i eat for lunch

yah very useful to do other stuff too.. eg. clean skimmer (coz of the pressure), wash equipment etc.... oh yah and of course wash floor of the toilet after a "misfire"...

yah very useful to do other stuff too.. eg. clean skimmer (coz of the pressure), wash equipment etc.... oh yah and of course wash floor of the toilet after a "misfire"...

Huh? you guys are really serious about this butt washing thingy?!

But wat if I got a delicate aXXhole?! would it hurt?! :D

Big tiles on the kitchen wall another good idea! :P

Already picked up many very good pointers... I'm glad I posted this thread... So, pls keep your advice and suggestions rolling... I need to know everything I can! :P

post-34-1105890976.jpg

• SRC Member

Huh? you guys are really serious about this butt washing thingy?!

But wat if I got a delicate aXXhole?! would it hurt?! :D

Big tiles on the kitchen wall another good idea! :P

Already picked up many very good pointers... I'm glad I posted this thread... So, pls keep your advice and suggestions rolling... I need to know everything I can! :P

Other than the big tiles for your back splash, you can use tinted tempered glass too.........very easy to clean & becos its light green in colour, it gives a brighter & spacious look to the kitchen.

Anyone got a pic of the toilet bowl thingi?

Check throughly for the 1st few days after the laminate flooring is done.........it tend to warp upwards(uneven) on the first few days becos of the measuement,expansion/contraction of the weather.

Never skim on rollers..........go for good grade rollers for your wardrobe,sliding doors...........etc If not next time will have the squicking sound & "un-smooth" operation when sliding the doors.

Eric

• SRC Member
And yeah, $30k is quite a tight budget for a five room if you ask my honest opinion (somemore you are throwing in a tank).... So keep a close watch on the frills... ;)

My wife and I spent around $60k for basic reno for my five room alone (129sq meter).... maybe because I have parquet flooring for all the rooms.... that's why the price a bit jack up... BTW, this does not include my $5k 5-footer tank... a bit siong....

Last advice, In anything, think of practicality... bro. tayhonglee is right to suggest cabinet and drawer spaces as possible... it's always better to have more storage space around... really...

Yup! Agree with seamonkee. $30k is very tight. We've spent more than $40k already not inclusive of furniture, tank and stuff. Originally qouted $30k+ but ended up adding this and that and buying lights, sanitary ware etc....when quoted final price pengz! :pinch:

Renos over now but still gotta buy kitchen ware, appliances, wooden blinds etc. Money disappearing even before I can lay my hands on it! :cry2:

Another thing to consider is storage space. Try, if you can, to incorporate cupboards...lots of them, into your desin. Make use of dead space like wierd cut-ins on your walls to locate such cupboards.

Also very important to think abt location of your tank, electric supply, location of chiller (mine's at the aircon ledge so I got my aircon guys to lay the chiller piping).

Let me know if I can help. :)

48x30x27' Tank. Beckett Skimmer. Deltec PF600s. RM FR Pro. DE 250Wx2. DE T5 39Wx4. Tunze 7095+6000x2. Sequence DART pumps x2 (1 return+1chiller)

• SRC Member
Have already decided where to put the tank... in the dining area... close to kitchen so I can connect the water pipes to the tank! :yeah: Also chose the dining area as the chiller can be placed facing the window! :evil:

Becareful of where you place your tank. Oil from cooking will find their way onto the water surface and cause the skimmer to work extra hard or can't cope. Just a thought. ;)

• SRC Member

yeah, cupboards are really important. mine are almost all filled with junk....in just a few months. when i have kids, its going to be :pinch:

make sure you budget for furniture leh. they are big and costly. i got mostly secondhand stuff for my home, since i don't really mind. there's this place in kampong ampat, mcpherson area, that buys hotel and service apartment stuff. go and have a look if you are interested. i think you will be quite amazed at what they have. they used to be my main supplier when i was involved in this line.

lighting is another killer. beautiful lights like what you see in magazines are Expensive. with a capital E. like that chrome light with flowing glass?$250. futuristic flat glass/chrome dining lights?$350. installation?$100. discount?dun like that lah brudder, vely cheap oledy, all imported flom itary one you know, not like the udder cheap taiwan imitation...

oh, and also, its much better to get daylights with electronic ballast, rather than the ordinary flourescent lights. they are much brighter and the light is crisp white. good for reading or studying or sewing or cooking.

after everything is done up, even toilet paper is expensive for me. thats why i recommend the squirtsquirt.

another thing. at first i wanted to redo my kitchen. thats when i found out that hacking and laying tiles are seperate costs. sound stupid now, but i really thought they come together as a package price. so if yours is a resale, or one of those new homes with basic reno like flooring, budget that in as well.

• SRC Member
make sure you budget for furniture leh. they are big and costly. i got mostly secondhand stuff for my home, since i don't really mind. there's this place in kampong ampat, mcpherson area, that buys hotel and service apartment stuff. go and have a look if you are interested. i think you will be quite amazed at what they have. they used to be my main supplier when i was involved in this line.

yah i have a friend whose home is almost entirely furnished from this second-hand dealer. some amazing looking stuff that hotels throw out!! :lol:

as for rollers for cupboards etc, i suggest get those doors that hang down, with rollers on the top only. Rollers at the bottom tend to collect dust after a while and become really hard to move, and squeak really badly too.

you might want to avoid getting the squirt-squirt thing :P considering your budget and the fact that it takes up extra space in the toilet.

Be teachable always, nobody has a monopoly on wisdom. But learn to distinguish "fact" from "opinion".

• SRC Member

heyyy, no dissing my squirtsquirt...... :P

hotel stuff are really quite nice right? the last big thing we did was grand hyatt. some of the stuff were jaw dropping. i think they just cleared marina mandarin, but im not sure.

my curtains are from there as well. just wash and alter. super cheap and very nice too.

i think we a little bit off topic liao. :rolleyes:

• SRC Member
Other than the big tiles for your back splash, you can use tinted tempered glass too.........very easy to clean & becos its light green in colour, it gives a brighter & spacious look to the kitchen.

not sure abt the glass thing man... might end up having a harder time cleaning... depends where u put it I guess, coz my glass door gets dirty SUPER easy... and it's a real pain to keep cleaning it...

• SRC Member
you might want to avoid getting the squirt-squirt thing :P considering your budget and the fact that it takes up extra space in the toilet.

that thing is call Verandah Vignet rite?

Well, how many times you shit a day to spent that kind of money?? as long as all of it comes out smoothly, then already shiok wat..

If scare then use toilet paper and soap lor...

If you wan to pamper yourself more use Kleenex brand tissue and Dettol shower form lor :lol:

So..., agreed with Xperiment 626 here.

• SRC Member

eh guys i think u got it wrong lah.. the squirt squirt is not the "in-built" type right?

I mean there is that type u sh*t, then u move ur arse over to another "toilet bowl like thing" that shoots out water to clean ur arse... that's expensive and space wasting...

but I think what they refering to is just that extra hose with a spray nozzle u can move around... that one how expensive can it be?

Just to make it even clearer... i was refering to this squirt squirt thing at the side of my toilet bowl...

post-11-1120453993.jpg

• SRC Member

woah, haha, cheemgalulu.....vinegar vinegrette... :lol:

dettol shower foam will burn and sting a little leh.... :D but super clean thanks to the antispetic properties. :yeah: good idea also.

yeah, i was thinking of the removable kind of squirtsquirt. never seen the seperate bowl thing other than on tv. but i dunno leh, after doing number 2 you got to squish squish your way over before cleaning sounds a little uncomfortable.

oh, its a little different from ervine's. its more like a contraption that seats in the bowl itself, with a nozzle aimed appropriately.

i just realised, i hijacked vincents thread and turned it into a toilet debate. :upsidedown:

back to serious advise please.......

Wah people, now den I realise there's so many ways to clean my arse after I took out Hiroshima with my excessive bombing! :D :D :D Maybe if it's too expensive, den I use a extra large pipette lor... :D

Anyway, where to find those hotel 2nd hand stuff?!

Also, are built-in cupboards expensive? Should I buy the ready made ones or built in??

Hmm... come to tink of it, the suggestion by Weisoon, my tank IS abit close to the kitchen, I thought if find any crabs in my tank can send to the cooking pot faster mah... :upsidedown: tink gotta make a door for the kitchen...

Anyway, where's a good place to find furniture beside Ikea? Novena?? Heard Novena got nice stuffs right?? :P Pls dun recommend Park Mall, I dun print $$$ one...

Anyone know where to find nice rugs that are cheap... thought of putting a large rug in my living room... also where to get nice sofa sets??

:thanks::thanks::thanks::thanks::thanks::thanks::thanks::thanks::thanks::thanks::thanks:

post-34-1105890976.jpg

• SRC Member

I suggest u do built in cabinet .. firstly makefull use of space, can chose your own lay out .. etc etc ... its cost almost the same if you were to purchase something like that from ikea.. besides.. ikea things never last. .. IMO ;)

Mine was bulit in cabinet considering the beam sticking out ... this n tt .. <_< , got the contractor to shift the switch to mount on the cabinet instead to avoid leaving an unwanted space jus for e switch :P

I dont really like the squirtsquirt thing you all mention even tho i had 1 too.. its erm... painful for me :paiseh: and I 'll just use it to wash the toilet . :lol:

• SRC Member

wah.... u guys quite serious about the squirt squirt thing ah......

it gives me orgasm sometimes....

considering the number of times i can crap in a day.... i would say it is a good investment....

*translated from Hokkien*

"If say no bang wall, this idiot will never ripen" - Mr Quah Siew Kow.

wah.... u guys quite serious about the squirt squirt thing ah......

it gives me orgasm sometimes....

considering the number of times i can crap in a day.... i would say it is a good investment....

Sometimes, I really wonder what's your orientation! :evil: Are you the Blue Oysters type?????

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron
Australian Institute of Marine Science

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F
Please visit us here: http://www.facebook....uaristSocietySG
Facebook Group: http://www.facebook....gid=34281892381