Ouch! It burnt my hands

Hi everyone,

After reading a thread abt adding sugar to reduce nitrate, I decided to give it a try in my tank(abt 2 by 1 by 1.5 no sump)...

After adding abt 1 teaspoon of sugar, went out with wife shopping and then send her to work. Abt 5hrs later when I reach home, saw the tank turn super cloudy... Immediately run to tank to see... 2 clowns up lorry... Cleaner shrimp also up lorry... the rest of LS, can't be seen cos water really cloudy...

Now super worry abt my mushies and BTA... I think more likely up lorry liao cos jus found corpse of my blue tang.

Wat can I do now? I have a Weipro 2011 skimmer, do I fix it up and hope to clear up the cloudiness?

Wonder if changing water will help cos jus now change 15L(25% of my tank size) but still super cloudy. Thinking of changing water again... Therefore would like to know which LFS in the East sell Seawater?

Thanks...

No chiding now pls...

sad to hear that =(

my condolences...

what i suggest now is u reset the tank... haix...do not give up bro!

Huh?

Was thinking of changing more water to neutralise the effect... But maybe u're rite...

I give the water another nite to see how... hopefully can see my MIA LS inside the tank to assess loss... Thanks...

• SRC Member

Calculation.

25% tank water - 15L

100% tank water - 60L

I only put 2 teaspoon of sugar to my 200L tank. So I would reckon you have over dose the sugar. Sugar will definitely cloud your water. It depends on how fast the skimmer can skim and make full use of the cloudiness to remove the waste. Generally, it takes abt 1 day for the cludiness to clear for initial dosage.

For the time being, change another 25% of water in you tank to ad in the clearing of the cloudiness.

dogdogsrd20060608_18_Elric%20is%20.png

bunbunsdb20071225_-8_Elroi%20is.png

webster1973%20player%20555.png

Calculation.

25% tank water - 15L

100% tank water - 60L

I only put 2 teaspoon of sugar to my 200L tank. So I would reckon you have over dose the sugar. Sugar will definitely cloud your water. It depends on how fast the skimmer can skim and make full use of the cloudiness to remove the waste. Generally, it takes abt 1 day for the cludiness to clear for initial dosage.

For the time being, change another 25% of water in you tank to ad in the clearing of the cloudiness.

Thnx bro...

That's why asking for which LFS sells seawater... Can't mix anymore water cos dun wanna use tap water direct...

Not using the skimmer now cos my skimmer dun look efficient... Will the cloudy water return to normal w/o skimming?

Will my other aerobic bacteria die?

• SRC Member

try bioocean, one of the sponsors of this site. they sell NSW.

i think you should just reset your tank... :(

Be teachable always, nobody has a monopoly on wisdom. But learn to distinguish "fact" from "opinion".

• SRC Member
Therefore would like to know which LFS in the East sell Seawater?

Thanks...

No chiding now pls...

Reef Aquarius along Koon Seng Rd sells Saltwater...Another place that sells is Reborn at Lavender street.

Hope you get your tank up and running soon. :)

did u monitor ur PH after u add the sugar? the PH will drop and when i add the last time, it drop to 7.1, i keep adding buffer to it.

it is probably the PH shock tat killed ur fish

Thanks Flame-Tail... Will head down to Koon Seng Rd/ Reborn the moment they opened...

XPeriment 626... Dunno leh... Reseting means wait til dunno when again... Really very reluctant. Since my BTA survived, my discosomas survived, my hermit survived, I'll just chk parameters and assess from there... Jus hope that my beneficial aerobic bact dun die off too much...

iori_del... Yah, I realised that... Biggest mistake is nvr monitor cos when I first added sugar nothing happened after 5hrs... When i saw my clowns died in the overflow, my only guess is pH shock or sudden depletion of O2 as some ppl say oxygen is used by bact during the process???

• SRC Member

Bro, bro...Talking about sugar, I have tried it for my 4ft tank (450L)with 3 spoon of sugar. it takes 24 hrs to clear and skimmer skim like hell.

The good thing abt sugar, it will bring NO3 down, from my observation, if u dun continue to dose, the LS might be afftected in the long run (not sure why, but it happened). So the husbandary of reefing still the best.

Yes, PH will definitly drop but it will be back, maybe the shocked killed ur fish. Moreover, 1 teaspoon to ur tank is too much.

Take care now and dun be sad. Continue the reefing, the rewards will be achieved in the long run.

Cheers!

• SRC Member

Hi bro,

I think ur mistake is that never on skimmer!!! B)

When I dosed with sugar, my skimmer worked super hard!!! lots of kopi-o!!! :D then u need to wash ur cup everyday.

So I suggest the best way is to change water and get a good skimmer!!!

• SRC Member

u need skimmer on when u add sugar this removed the cloudness and also makes sure there is enough oxgyen in the water cause when you add sugar you have a bateria bloom which will use more oxgyen so usally if your livestock dies is cause of lack of oxgyen not cause its cloudly .... i think its all reefers who want to use sugar or these homemade style stuff should do some reading before adding ... there was a few post about sugar and vodak also ...