Red Carpet Club (Cyano)

Just a check how many ppls suffering from Cyano  

136 members have voted

1. 1. Just a check how many ppls suffering from Cyano

• Use to suffer from Cyano but now no more
    • Still suffering from Cyano
    • Due to Cyano keep growing non-stop & make me have the idea of give up reefing
    • Never suffer from Cyano till now

• SRC Member

I voted liao....sadly I falls under "Still suffering......" <_<

Even though I increase my flow, change water once a fornight including sweeping off the cyno from the sand bed, change MH light bulb......still suffering this problem.....but then there is improvement.

Think I need to upgrade my PS :evil: ...currently using 2 Macro Needle Wheel skimmer, 150 & 200 model..... :(

• SRC Member
I voted liao....sadly I falls under "Still suffering......"  <_<

Even though I increase my flow, change water once a fornight including sweeping off the cyno from the sand bed, change MH light bulb......still suffering this problem.....but then there is improvement.

Think I need to upgrade my PS :evil: ...currently using 2 Macro Needle Wheel skimmer, 150 & 200 model..... :(

my dear fren why not you bring about 20ml of your main tank water to me and I help me measure your p04 and see what is your level and from there at least u got idea how to go about reducing it... :D

• SRC Member

my dear fren why not you bring about 20ml of your main tank water to me and I help me measure your p04 and see what is your level and from there at least u got idea how to go about reducing it... :D

K N N ....you are saying I illiterate or color blind la!!! <_<:lol::lol::lol::lol: ...I am using Salifert ok.....hahahaha :lol::lol:

• SRC Member

K N N ....you are saying I illiterate or color blind la!!! <_<:lol::lol::lol::lol: ...I am using Salifert ok.....hahahaha :lol::lol:

lolz.. no la.. I dont need to see color cause I use Hanna... which your Salifert can be colorless but it dont mean 0 p04.. hehehe

lolz.. no la.. I dont need to see color cause I use Hanna... which your Salifert can be colorless but it dont mean 0 p04.. hehehe

That's going to cost you 40cents (same as salifert PO4/test).

In my experience with hanna PO4 meter showing 0.1ppm salifert PO4 already cannot detect the color (not that there is no color but the blue is very very light, almost impossible to see. If you try to look thru the hanna test tube it also show almost no color too.

There is still lots of room for reducing the PO4 level from 0.1ppm. That is why you see people making claim that their PO4 are 0 but why still got algae growing :P

• SRC Member

teasing you la Alan......I ought to upgrade myskimmer! <_<:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

wah piangz.....hanna also cost so much per test ah?!.......thought its a continuous measuring devices......pardon my ignorance..... :paiseh:

• SRC Member

I've got cyano... lots of them.. but its not the red carpet sort... more like brownish green in colour, encrusting over the LRs and coraline algae . Will post a pic tis evening. They're difficult to get rid of. Employing the help of a urchin, but he doesn't like cyano. What a real pest these cyanobacteria.

• SRC Member
I've got cyano... lots of them.. but its not the red carpet sort... more like brownish green in colour, encrusting over the LRs and coraline algae . Will post a pic tis evening. They're difficult to get rid of. Employing the help of a urchin, but he doesn't like cyano. What a real pest these cyanobacteria.

where is the pic..???

power sia... i never see a tank got alot of cyano... show us... and i never see other color cyano be4....

• SRC Member

Alan, you an your "power"... you must have affinity for 'power', power canisters, power cyano, what other power. :lol: BTW, do you use a powerbook?

This is taken from the rt side, there are many other places that look like this... but here's only one pic.. it starts off like a small patch and grows fast and big over and covers over even coraline. I've having a hard time removing them. It even grows on the snail shells. Its definitely cyano. If anyone can advise on how to eradicate, I am indebted.

post-21-1122198299.jpg

Hi, just sharing my Trial & Error remedy here, (hope the spelling is correct)

had a cyno all over LR & sand bed before, what i did was do a 'Total Blackout' for

4 continous day & also applied some Ultralife red slim remover into main tank &

'VOILA' all of the cyno dissapeared.

It's kind of risk towards the corals, (w/out photoperiod, mine are all LPS)

But it works.

Just my 0.2cents.

• SRC Member
Alan, you an your "power"... you must have affinity for 'power', power canisters, power cyano, what other power. :lol: BTW, do you use a powerbook?

This is taken from the rt side, there are many other places that look like this... but here's only one pic.. it starts off like a small patch and grows fast and big over and covers over even coraline. I've having a hard time removing them. It even grows on the snail shells. Its definitely cyano. If anyone can advise on how to eradicate, I am indebted.

ya i'm using PB

I'd like to share how I got rid of Cyno in my Main Tub (Yes tank burst), My tub is in Natural Sunlight so I had a real Cyno problem, it was all over my rocks even over the roots of the 6 Mangrove plants I have in the tub.

Din't feel like spending on salt to change water, because I was ready to give up. so I did something quiet stupid, I though hey if Cyno grows so fast wonder if we can use it for nutrient export.

I got a jeri can, cut of the top drill a small hole at the bottom and fix a hose back to my tub.

I ran a small pump to send water from the top in a direction so the water was moving in a slow circular motion around the sides.

I used a white sheet of pastic film to cover the insides, then I took my table lamp and shined it in 24/7. Cyno grew on the white sheet like crazy, and I took it out every 3 days to partially scrap of the cyano.

After 2 weeks the cyno in my main tank started turning green? ya green... Heck I had pretty much ignored my tub for the time. anyway I got a turbo snail and it pretty much ate every strip of the green as soon as it grew. Any my main tubs been clear for the last year or so and the cyano inside the jeri can has turned half green ( replaced by a more platable algae)

My Mangroves are growing and thriving ever since the cyano disappeared and my corals are coming back to life.

BTW I direct feed my Gonipora, Rics and Bubble Cyclopeez every other day thats alot of nutrients ... still no cyano in main tank. I've not changed my water in 5 months.

• SRC Member

Alan, great choice on the pb.! Now having seen the pic, what do you think I shd do...

Haziqboy, I think the complete blackout treatment will work, but not prepared to try it, leh.

Is this also called red carpet? Will red-slime remover help for tis type of cyano?

I'm thinking this could also be more of a flow issue, and not nutrient as there is very little algae in the tank. Cyano is known to be N fixing. It doesn't need nutrients, jus Nitrogen is enough. It is also a type of bacteria and not algae. Again, I'm very appreciative on any advise given to help. Thx!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...