Attention to Ozone users

scarab

• SRC Member

Need to seek opinion and experience from ozone users here.

Been running ozone for a month and during the 1st week the skimmer went crazy and pull out a lot of gunk. Redox level went from 340mV (before ozone) to 360mV (after 1 week)

I up the ORP controller to 380mV the following week and see the redox level slowly increase, then I see the skimmate begin to reduce. After 4 weeks (I'm running my ORP controller at 420mV now) I'm only getting about 50% of the skimmate I get before I started on ozone.

Is this normal? Or is ozone converting the dissolved organics to something that is not skimmable? :o There'a a thread on in RC discussing this but I trying to find out 1st hand experience from ozone users here.

The water looks great though, super clear......Reef is doing fine as well. Just a bit puzzled with the amount of skimmate I'm getting. Where did the dissolved organics go to????

Appreciate any input... :thanks:

• SRC Member

Vapourised ? :lol:

My Beautiful ANGEL - Matsushima Nanako

Equipment List for 4x2x2 Tank & 3x1.5x1.5 Sump

Hagen 802 x 2, Tunze 6060, Arcadia T5 (54W x 8), Eheim 1260 (return) Eheim 1250 (Chiller), Aquabee 300 x 2 (Feed)

H&S 150-F2001 (850l Skimmer), H&S A110-F2000 (400l Skimmer), H&S 110-F1000 (1000l Sulphur/Nitrate Filter), H&S 150-F2000IA (800l Calcium Reactor)

Coralife 3X (UV Steriliser), I-Aquatic IF 312 (Fluidised Reactor), Kent Kalk Delivery, Resun CL650, Pinpoint ORP & PH Meters & Wireless Thermometer

4x2x2 Tank Thread

• SRC Member
water too clean ba.... ur skimmer skim till nothing to skim liao... try observing it for a long period of time and see whether it is constant...

yap i agreed .... i rem i did read up somewhere regarding this or heard from someone ... the ozone areadi treated the water therefore the skimmer able to pull put more waste in the begining stage.. after that .. water is "more " clean.. therefore skimmer pull out lesser waste.. hmm ig u wan to check.. maybe u can off the ozone.. and wait a few weeks.. to see if the skimmer is able to pull out the same amount of waste it used to pull... ??

cheers :D

• SRC Member

err actually lester err not very nice to off the ozone cuz any sudden change in water parameter will shock ur fishes / corals...regardless of good thing or bad thing...

just my 2 cents...

maybe u can tune lower or cut down on the ozone timing...

• SRC Member
err actually lester err not very nice to off the ozone cuz any sudden change in water parameter will shock ur fishes / corals...regardless of good thing or bad thing...

just my 2 cents...

maybe u can tune lower or cut down on the ozone timing...

hmmm ok .. u do have a point too.. point noted ...

:thanks::lol:

cheers :)

• SRC Member

Hi Bro,

WHich Ozoniser did you use ?

Does it take a week to increase from 340 to 360 ?

How do you install it ?

Did you inject it to the beckett nozzle housing ?

I just got myself one as well.

Still learning about this ozone thing.

Thanks

• SRC Member

sorry too busy... that's why.. make a note 1st lor...

dont get to #%#%$ about it ma...

it's worst then I keep quiet right...

anyway I dont use ozone maybe I might be wrong.. but this is what i see,

As we know ozone kill of almost quiet alot of things.. including your baterica. Which that's why explain why u see alot of skimmate at the start....

but of coz no matter skimmer or ozone when u 1st run a powerful one of coz, the inital will pull off alot of pending stuff which you never remove... and once reach a stage of max then no more or less stuff to remove..

but since ozonise do remove baterica.. so i'm not sure this will be gd for the system or bad...

anyway there is not much real successful ozoniser in this world..

so gd luck.. ;)

• SRC Member
Hi Bro,

WHich Ozoniser did you use ?

Does it take a week to increase from 340 to 360 ?

How do you install it ?

Did you inject it to the beckett nozzle housing ?

I just got myself one as well.

Still learning about this ozone thing.

Thanks

Hi sugi,

Using Sander 200mg (controllable). Actually it took only 1 day to increase the 20mV but I kept it at that level for a week before increasing, afraid it might alter the water chemistry too much too quickly.

Injected into the Beckett housing. The picture is below. Should actually use ozone safe tube for the portion after the T entering into the housing (turned brown already). Just wanted to see the effect of the ozone, will change out soon.

post-7-1122128180.jpg

• SRC Member

I don't use a ozonizer myself, but I have read that increasing ozone after a certain level actually reduces the skimmer's efficiency. This is because ozone being a strong oxidizing agent will actually breakdown the bio matter before they can be skimmed out. I am not too sure how true is this, just some info you may want to consider.

A simply way may be to reduce the ORP controller to the previous level and see if there is an increase in skimmate again.

• SRC Member

Hi sugi,

Using Sander 200mg (controllable). Actually it took only 1 day to increase the 20mV but I kept it at that level for a week before increasing, afraid it might alter the water chemistry too much too quickly.

Injected into the Beckett housing. The picture is below. Should actually use ozone safe tube for the portion after the T entering into the housing (turned brown already). Just wanted to see the effect of the ozone, will change out soon.

:off: Hello Scarab, May I know where u get those ozone safe tubing?

• SRC Member

well there are many successfully reef tanks using an ozoniser in this world....

or should i say more successful than unsuccessful.. pple in RC most of them give good comments...

ya they do remove bacteria .. but i believe the benificial bacteria will be housing in ur Live rocks instead of being suspended in the water

• SRC Member

actually, the same thing happened to me. lots of skimmate the first few days, then almost nothing. after i started to skim very wet, i had lots of sugar cane juice (to paraphrase the memorable words of jefnbl). in fact, the only time i can see bubbles breaking all the way to the tip of collection cup is right after feeding. not sure why also, or whether its a good sign or not.

my 1.5 cube now has 6 chromis, 1 large mandarin, 1 tiny regal tang, 1 yellow wrasse, 2 firefish, 4 skunk cleaners, 1 fire shrimp, 1 red linkia, 1 sand shifter, and 4 cerith snails (snails are expensive man). i feed twice a day, mixture of homemade food, brine shrimp and flakes. water parameters are still quite good. can't detect any ammonia, nitrite or nitrates. i dose kalk twice a week, so calcium is about 400++ (a little low, but don't think its due to ozone). no phosphate test kit yet, so can't tell what phosphate levels are. however, there aren't any diatoms or algae at all. sad to say, i haven't change any water yet. will do it tomorrow... :heh:

i keep the controller set at 390mv. it jumps to about 400mv at night, and drops to about 360mv after i feed. takes about 5 minutes to bring it up again. also, i use desiccants to dry the air first. but i can't tell if it helps or not.

henry

• SRC Member
actually, the same thing happened to me.  lots of skimmate the first few days, then almost nothing.  after i started to skim very wet, i had lots of sugar cane juice (to paraphrase the memorable words of jefnbl).  in fact, the only time i can see bubbles breaking all the way to the tip of collection cup is right after feeding.  not sure why also, or whether its a good sign or not. 

my 1.5 cube now has 6 chromis, 1 large mandarin, 1 tiny regal tang, 1 yellow wrasse, 2 firefish, 4 skunk cleaners, 1 fire shrimp, 1 red linkia, 1 sand shifter, and 4 cerith snails (snails are expensive man).  i feed twice a day, mixture of homemade food, brine shrimp and flakes.  water parameters are still quite good.  can't detect any ammonia, nitrite or nitrates.  i dose kalk twice a week, so calcium is about 400++ (a little low, but don't think its due to ozone).  no phosphate test kit yet, so can't tell what phosphate levels are.  however, there aren't any diatoms or algae at all.  sad to say, i haven't change any water yet.  will do it tomorrow...  :heh:

i keep the controller set at 390mv.  it jumps to about 400mv at night, and drops to about 360mv after i feed.  takes about 5 minutes to bring it up again.  also, i use desiccants to dry the air first.  but i can't tell if it helps or not. 

henry

Thanks for your input Henry. I guess we are the only 2 reefers who is experiencing this skimmate issue with ozone. :lol::lol:

I'm trying what ozy suggested, to reduce the ORP level substantially and see if the skimmate increases. Maybe you might want to try and post if it has any effect.

It seems that too much ozone in the skimmer affects the creation of bubbles (foam) in the skimmer causing it to skim less.

Thanks.

• SRC Member
Will the air input to the ozone makes any different? What about using dry air?

Bro, I think dry air only affect the production of the ozone by the ozoniser. Don't think it will affect the skimmer performance.