Super Glue Gel for mounting corals

xpert1974

has anyone used those clear gel super glue that is bought commonly from hardware stores to mount corals? Is it reef safe?

Am using ###### epoxy but they don't stick well, expensive and dislodge easily when its in a turbulent and strong flow area.

anyone has any idea which type of Super Glue those clear gel type is suitable?

• SRC Member

Bro,

Try Loctite - they come in 2 types -> choose the 'Gel' type.

U can get this from any DIY shop. Comes in a small tube. Keep the balance in the fridge to prevent it from drying up.

I have use this to stick rics onto my lr. They stick quite well and does not seem to affect the corals at all.

I use those 3M ones that can be bought at 7-eleven

Comes in small tubes though <_<

But if you tame me, we shall need each other.

To me, you will be unique in all the world.

To you, I shall be unique in all the world...

You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.

-Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Keep our hobby sustainable, participate in fragging NOW

CHAETO Farmer FarmerDan.gif

• 4 weeks later...

You gotta give the ###### purple one time to cure. They do stick well. One trick is super glue gel plus ###### purple epoxy, works very well for me.

Few weeks ago tried the YYY white+green branded one that so many reefers tok till got dragon got tiger but end up CMI, cannot stick at all, ask bro Simon and you'll know :P

• SRC Member
the ###### one is purple color one right? I have the same problem. Can those super glue gel stick under water or not?

are you talking about deltec, the 2 parts type? why use ######, yyy? maybe i can share with you how to use it correctly? been using it so long, never give me a single problem. I suspect its your using method.

• SRC Member
Few weeks ago tried the YYY white+green branded one that so many reefers tok till got dragon got tiger but end up CMI, cannot stick at all, ask bro Simon and you'll know :P

got freebies sure got dragon got tiger la. if the purple one also got freebies then not only dragon and tiger, god and goddess also have . haha

(what kind of english is this, pardon me)

• SRC Member

I have both deltec and aquaz, in my experience, aquaz won't dissolve under water, but very smelly, deltec quite soft, milky like when under water. Both also won't stick.

How do you stick it well? I have acro frag, tried to put the epoxy between it and LR, then I push it against LR and hold, won't stick leh..

• SRC Member
I have both deltec and aquaz, in my experience, aquaz won't dissolve under water, but very smelly, deltec quite soft, milky like when under water. Both also won't stick.

How do you stick it well? I have acro frag, tried to put the epoxy between it and LR, then I push it against LR and hold, won't stick leh..

Try super glue gel, for frags it holds well.

Must be super glue gel not those normal super glue.

Super glue gel has brands like 3M, Locktie. ;)

got freebies sure got dragon got tiger la. if the purple one also got freebies then not only dragon and tiger, god and goddess also have . haha

(what kind of english is this, pardon me)

Not really lar, in the forum that time got pple review until so good so I thought it's good. I got a lot of stock of deltec epoxy at home so didn't bother to try the ###### brand until that day went to another reefer place he bought some to try to stick it to his LR. No matter how we tried it just won't stick at all. Maybe it's a bad batch.

Then we tried the deltec one and it sticks perfectly until today the red milepora colony still "hanging" in the air despite tunze TS24 (24,000 l/h) blowing onto it.

one question, I can't take out the coral and LR, so can the super glue gel being use underwater?

yes it can but you have to try clean the area of the LR first then put more super glue gel. Once the super glue gel touch the water a skin will be form and then you push the frag with the super glue gel onto the LR then twist a bit to break the skin. Then hold for a few secs and that should do the job.

• SRC Member

yes it can but you have to try clean the area of the LR first then put more super glue gel. Once the super glue gel touch the water a skin will be form and then you push the frag with the super glue gel onto the LR then twist a bit to break the skin. Then hold for a few secs and that should do the job.

Meaning you apply the super glue gel to the base of the frag first, then you submerge the frag and push it onto the LR underwater? :D