Auto Water Topup..

chanbi

• SRC Member

Hi

I'm using an AC pump connected with a float switch to pump water to the tank. The float switch is a low level switch, meaning if water level in the sump is low, the float would sink also, thus activating the switch which in turn switch on the pump. The pump I used is a 600L/Hr pump. It doesnt matter what type of pump you use actually. Just need a pump able to pump water from the reservoir to the tank.

The float switch is placed in the sump, detecting the water level in it. The wires of the float switch is long enough, therefore the wire connection with the pump is outside the tank. I use insulation tape and cable tie to secure the wire connections to prevent any contact with water. I know its not the best way, there are better ones out there.

The switch cost : S$25 from Sim Lim Tower

The pump cost : S$20 (forgot abt the cost, old pump)

Insulation tape : Free

Cable tie : Free

Reservoir : Free (using a big pail)

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Total cost : S$45

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member

Hi,

my friend and I completed the proto type of the autotopoff. Maximum credits to my friend Fish, for the fabrication and assembly of the product. What do you think???

post-9-1034534268.jpg

Comments are welcome!

• SRC Member

This pic shows the internals. A little messy but it will improve. It even has a tiny dc fan to cool the transformer. Only 12 volts goes to the float switch so that in the unfortunately event of a current leak, there should be little harm done. It also has a integrated 1 amp breaker to avoid any nasty shock or electrical harzard.

post-9-1034534532.jpg

Comments are welcome!

• SRC Member

This shows the female plug from the topoff unit. It allows connection to any pump you would like to use for your topoff as long as it uses a two pin plug. Also shown here is the float switch.

post-9-1034534668.jpg

Comments are welcome!

• SRC Member

Do you know how to build a bomb? :lol:

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member

The entire thingy gets quite costly. Around the region of $80. How much do you think you would be willing to pay for it??? If the response is good, I might just consider making it for everybody. :huh:

Comments are welcome!

• SRC Member

Can I use it for my 2ft? How long will it last?

Hmm.... Why don't you do a list of it's specifications, benefits and costs. Sort of like an advertisement and we can all decide easier. It's a good idea to market it!

Maybe you could sell it here first and perhaps commercially if the demand is there. But pls offer it without the packaging here and save us a few $$$ :D

• SRC Member

To hongqixian, hi,

I'll try to answer some of your questions here.

How long will it last??? er... , it runs on AC from your wall socket, so no battery to replace.. As for the fresh water, it will depend on how big is your fresh water reservoir.

Specs: hmm... 12 DV to Float Switch (minimum risk in the event of current leak), support any AC pump up to 1 amp.(that can be modified) Three light indicator showing which mode the unit is in. A selector switch to choose from pump "off" , pump "on" and "auto" mode. These selections will come in handy when you want to do tank maintaince etc.

price wise, assuming a price of $100, its alot cheaper than commerical ones. Sealife has their own custom made ones which is alot simpler and retails for $125.

As for the packageing, what were you refering to???

To BarraCuda,

that can be easily done. Question is, why do you want to drag such a long piping from your tap? All you need to do is connect the topoff unit to a solenoid that controls water instead of air, fit it to your tap. Very costly...

Comments are welcome!

I can see the potential for this... dosing pumps.

If you can put different containers that dump at different timings... you can make an automatic timer doser that can make this hobby a lot more automated... :)

Cedric... looks good. I may be your next customer! :)

• SRC Member

a bomb??? hah hah hah :P:P:P

Technically, its not very difficult. Our normal plant fertilizer ammonium nitrate will work. Only difficult part is getting the HE/ignitor. Hon you want one??? :D

Comments are welcome!

• SRC Member

Lifespan of the unit??? I honestly would not know??? Its only a few months old. As for fancy packing, what fancy packing??? I never did post any packing right??? and did not have any intention too as well! :huh:

Comments are welcome!

• SRC Member

Cedric.. u'r the man.. when i first heard that u DIY this and that.. i knew u might have come out with something like that.. hahaha.. now u know why i seek your help??? hahaha..

Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

• 3 weeks later...

Guys, I'm back with an updated version of the first auto water top-up device that I built. I've put everything nicely into a box and made some improvements. It has the following features:

- Supports 2 float switches. One for the tank/sump and one for the water reservoir. The one in the tank/sump will turn the connected pump on if the water level drops. The one in the water reservoir will prevent the pump from running if the reservoir runs out of water. This prevents a possible trip should the pump be trying to pump air instead of water. Note that the second float switch is optional - you can do without it so long as you can ensure the reservoir always has enough water.

- Indicator light which turns on when the pump is working.

- Override button that allows you to turn the pump on although the water level may be still high.

- Easy connection to float switches. Just press the lever and insert the wire to connect. This also allows you to use as long a wire as you like.

- Only 12 volts of electricity runs through the flow switches. No fear of being electrocuted should there be a leak.

- Has 2 connectors that allow you to connect 2 pumps, although I can't think of any use for the second one.

See the attached pictures.

The first pic shows the front.

post-9-1036920714.jpg