Adding LR

derf

• SRC Member

hey guys,

i'm intending to get some more LR for my tank, can i get like 1pc n juz put it in my tank? i know there'll be a cycling process but will it be so great that it'll kill my livestocks inside?

btw, my tank's been up for 6 mths oledi.... cheers!

• SRC Member

It depends on the condition of the liverock and also where you get them from...

for example since you been down to Harlequin, you will notice that their LR are in special holding tanks allowing them to be cycled...(man, their LR 's covered with CA...)

Some LFS has them only in styraform boxes with air pumped into.....

therfore How much effect on a tank a newly added LR does depends on the conditions and time span they have been in in the previous location....

Caution is advised... I added some new liverock given up by my friend... and that week I got marine velvet that slowly wiped out a few of my fishes.

I am sure if the rock is not well-cured, it will be rotting in some way and you'll have an ammonia spike that may stress some fishes used to an established tank condition.

• SRC Member

Well, That's actually one way.... the other is to book the amount you required.... pay up and ask them to place in their holding tanks for you for a while..... I do that sometimes......

BTW, it also depends on your system (filtration and volume).... I dumped in 10 kg LR into my tank recently without much adverse effect....

• SRC Member

actually i had like 20 odd kg in my tank when i first started cycling my tank but most of it died... so nw i'm thinking of juz adding pc by pc into my tank... i'm not abt to dump in a whole lot inside cos i'm sure it'll definitely creat another mojor cycling...

• SRC Member

nope, he dedicate a bottom large blue tub for me to put the rocks in and also he will push all the rock way into the back of the tub, making it difficult for people to reach it. Well some people will have a way of getting to it, that is why when yu collect the rock, re-weight again. This was done at Sealife, I do not know if other LFS will do that or not.

• SRC Member

hmm... i guess dat's alrite... but dan again i think u'll hv to know the owner in order for them to do tis for u....

think sealife's gonna hv lot's of trouble finding space for ppl hu will start to reserve their LR after u pichar their lobang oledi... hehe...

btw, hw much does sealife charge for the LR??

• SRC Member

wow!! LR from$4kg to $8/kg??? tok abt inflation....

so everyones' advice is to buy n leave it wif the LFS to cycle the LR first b4 bring them hm?? wat if i juz get 1 pc a week? oso, if i leave it there to cycle it, will i still be able to get the bristleworms inside???

• SRC Member

derf, they will still be there.

LFS won't clean rock for u, well! maybe if u paid $30/kg might be different story.

If u don't want them worms(in small numbers they do help scavenge uneaten food & keep the tank clean)

Bring it home & look into all holes & crevices with pincer or satay stick- sure to find something....pistols,bristles,crabs. Then put into ur tank.

• SRC Member

oops, misread.

yeh they will be there- still have to chk the rock though.

aiyoh..never say. next time i dun kill them if i catch them(saw 4 babies at the surface one nite last week at abt 1am) Only Squashed 2 & missed the other 2....

Hi Derf...

As long as ya LR r cured...u can add them to ya tank in batches. Always do that for myself without any problems. And by leaving them to cycle/ cure at the LFS...it most prob wun get rid of the crabbies...unless they die of starvation...I believe ya much wanted bristle worms will be alive n kickin'

:)

I'm gonna break the cycle

I'm gonna shake up the system

I'm gonna destroy my ego

I'm gonna close my body now

• SRC Member

hi guys, thks for all ur replies...

bawater, aiyo... need them to stir up my sand bed mah... furthermore, my tank has got v little LR left...

bluecarpet,

hmm.... i think i'll go get n try asking the LFS if they cld help me cycle the LR n i'll collect them in batches....

• SRC Member

Hey guys, with the hike in GST next year to 5%, I wonder how much LR would cost then???!!! What about the rest of the livestock and accessories???Or are LFS going to follow NTUC's footsteps and absorb the additional GST?I have my doubts.... :angry: