Harlequin Tusk

• SRC Member

opps.... got it for $50 liao... kanna chopped....

didn't know that it will eat starfish... currently got 2 starfishes in my tank...

but it has been a few days and it didn't disturb the starfishes, just swimming round the tank casually and feeding on pellets... :P

4x1.5x2.3 home tank

6x2x2.3 office tank

• SRC Member

have kept 2 harlequinn tusks before.

beautiful creatures and their appearance masks their gentle nature.

there are two kinds, australian and the normal 'indo'/philippines (think so).

the australian ones are 'rarer' in spore. it has a blue sheen that is lacking in the other kind. hence more pricey. @$50

they love shell fish! shrimps are hardly spared.

btw, even if yours are feeding on pellets, PLEASE give them meaty food as they staple diet. else they might perish due to malnutrition.

tusk are a kind of wrasse so they might not like another wrasse.

• SRC Member

Harlequin Tusk, at $20 ??? Price ard $35 up. They prefer mysis shrimp, chop market prawn. Make sure its eating already in the lfs, otherwise u need to train it, buy a plastic tank those with handle and drill hole for water circulation. then attach suckers on it and attach to the main tank( might looks ugly).

Firstly, it help new fish to stable down rather then attack by other fishes and it also prevent stress.

Secondly, u can observe whether how well they are eating and their progress.

Lastly, you will observe other fishes those aggressive one trying to attack it but they will be protected by the plastic tank and soon when they are stable and eating they will be ready to introduce into the main tank.

Let me ask u a question.

Have u ever introduce new fishes into the tank and see your newly purchase being attack by other causing u heartache? Reason, they are already stress and introduce to the tank and being attack or disturb by your old fishes stress + stress = ??? However at least those in the plastic tank which ready accepted food or even from your hand and very stable, even they are attack once u introduce them to the main tank, it wont be as stessful as you introduce them immediately.

Give a try.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One of my favourite fish only.

Give me one more chance....

i think i read from somewhere that these triggers and puffers and fish with sharp teeth need some special food like prawns with shell intact so that they can wear off their overgrowing teeth while chewing....

tis is just my 2 cts

Harlequins tusks are beautiful fish,too bad i intend to keep a reef....

• SRC Member

But hairy crab always hide one leh.. Unless the tusk can fit inside the cave of your crab.. And besides, how would the tusk know that the crab is inside the cave? I think the tusk will only hamtam those that are stupid enough to appear in broad daylight...

• SRC Member
sure its eating already in the lfs, otherwise u need to train it, buy a plastic tank those with handle and drill hole for water circulation. then attach suckers on it and attach to the main tank( might looks ugly).

Firstly, it help new fish to stable down rather then attack by other fishes and it also prevent stress.

Secondly, u can observe whether how well they are eating and their progress.

Lastly, you will observe other fishes those aggressive one trying to attack it but they will be protected by the plastic tank and soon when they are stable and eating they will be ready to introduce into the main tank.

Let me ask u a question.

Have u ever introduce new fishes into the tank and see your newly purchase being attack by other causing u heartache? Reason, they are already stress and introduce to the tank and being attack or disturb by your old fishes stress + stress = ??? However at least those in the plastic tank which ready accepted food or even from your hand and very stable, even they are attack once u introduce them to the main tank, it wont be as stessful as you introduce them immediately.

Give a try.

some sharing:

use to use the container method but realise that it sometimes stresses the fish more as they feel '######' and uncovered! so if possible, add some shelter for your quarantine fish. put some rocks etc in the plastic container (esp if its transparent). this will give the new fish a chance to know the other fish yet offer it the security of a hiding place. or i will use plastic basket (colored but with lots of hole) to contain the new fish.

tusk are actually very shy n gentle creatures n loves to hide. good to feed it shellfish with shell intact to 'weather' its 'tusk'. marketprawns, mussels, clams are good food. so are squid..