Test kits to recommend?

• SRC Member

In my opinion, NH3 and NO2 test kit can get those cheaper ones... ie more hard to read ones... mine is bioscience.... since after awhile they always only show zero value.... get a good nitrate test kit and calcium test kit... I'm using salifert...also using a KH test kit bought at $8 from sealife and according to him so long i maintain KH ard 10dkh ph should be at 8.2~8.3... using floating type hydrometer to test salinity...but advice is get those needle type... more accurate

• SRC Member

Salifert is very good for the price.

I used a refractometer for salinity until I broke it and can't be bothered to replace it so I'm using a swing-arm type.

Calibrated electronic pH meters are the only way to go. Test-kit ones can't be trusted.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member
I am now using BioScience test strips, I think they are quite easy to use.. Just dip and compare color.. But abit expensive though.. Anyone got comments about BioScience products?

used it b4 but i still trust the other kind more...

• SRC Member
Agree with Tanzy... I am using a Pinpoint PH monitor and a salinity refractometer like him... I trust no test kits or swing arm tester for PH and SG.

Any pic of those stuff you guys mentioned? Are the pinpoint PH monitor and salinity refractometer reusable?

I have only seen Tetratest kits around. Any marine shops to recommend around Central-West area? I have been to Keong Seong but they don't have a lot of variety of marine stuff. I like to look around before i buy anything.

• SRC Member
Any pic of those stuff you guys mentioned? Are the pinpoint PH monitor and salinity refractometer reusable?

Here's a picture of a refractometer.

refractometer.jpg

It's reusable as long as you keep the glass sample surface clean.

Pinpoint meters (probe type)

pinpoint.gif

compact pH meters (hand held)

Salt-pH-metersm.jpg

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member
Salifert is very good for the price.

I used a refractometer for salinity until I broke it and can't be bothered to replace it so I'm using a swing-arm type.

Calibrated electronic pH meters are the only way to go. Test-kit ones can't be trusted.

How much does a refractometer and those pinpoint meters cost? Where can I get them?

I bought a Salifert nitrate test kit yesterday from Hong Leong. But when i reached home, then realised that they have missed out the instruction note (it only come with german). So can anyone tell me how to use? They come with NO3-1 (powder), NO3-2 (a solution) & NO3-3 (a powder). How much tank water to use?

• SRC Member
I am now using BioScience test strips, I think they are quite easy to use.. Just dip and compare color.. But abit expensive though.. Anyone got comments about BioScience products?

I find that it is not a very good brand, though just dip and match colours, easy to use but more often than not, the colours are too close to differentiate accurately. Only when i bought the salifert calcium test kits... then i know whats real accuracy.... but i guess it depends on needs.. for AT and tanzy... the sps they keep require more stringent water parameters and hence their better equipment.. if I'm them, i will also get those PH meters and refractometer or whatever,... if you are having only FOWLR tank.... simple equipment will do... 1cents :lol: