What is the PURPOSE of LIFE !

minsmarine

• SRC Member

Woo quaility contributions r in.

Well, life is short, b4 we knows what r our destiny we are gone.

Even b4 we know what is purpose of life.

So more or less agree,

smile, given hand, enemy become friend.

Take care ppl, animanl, REEF around you.

But I still in believe that there is something we are supposed to do in our life.

What is tat

Life is like a peice of Uncured Live Rock [ from LFS ], you never know what you gonna get.........

Ocean Gump

• SRC Member

haha, mins.. finally a sensible thread from you. this place needs this type of threads once in a while. I find the way you think similar to the existentialists' point of view who believe in existence preceding essence.

existentialism got closer emphasis in the aftermath of ww2, cause it's the first time, people see devastation to such a massive extent. The inability of God to stop all these destruction and give hope to those in need during wartimes further reinforced the existentialistss point of view that there is no greater being out there and what you do eventually decides what you will face or become.

Existentialists actually believe that the Man's greatest sin is to be born. Since there is no God, there will be no fixed boundaries for men to follow, so it is actually up to us to decide on our path, and once decided, we will have to live by our decision. To a certain extent, they believe that the universe actually holds nothing but hopelessness.

To end off, it's actually your choice to choose what you want to be. Nobody can be sure that there is a Heaven, or there is a Hell. Once you chose your path, be prepared to live by it and face it. For me, i havent found the real purpose in life yet...I need to get past this obstacle first -Final Year Exams!!! :sick::sick:

• SRC Member

I don't believe in existentialists and neither in religion.

But I believe in existing and not existing.

Matrix has shown some of them.

Mind rules.

So where is the mind END or STARTED. If we can find , than we would able to know what is our purpose to live

Life is like a peice of Uncured Live Rock [ from LFS ], you never know what you gonna get.........

Ocean Gump

• SRC Member
Woo quaility contributions r in.

Well, life is short, b4 we knows what r our destiny we are gone.

Even b4 we know what is purpose of life.

So more or less agree,

smile, given hand, enemy become friend.

Take care ppl, animanl, REEF around you.

But I still in believe that there is something we are supposed to do in our life.

What is tat

If you are looking for the purpose in your life, it will be your purpose, and i believe you will be able to find it. Maybe thru meditation, deep thoughts, observaing happenings around you....

I think which ever purpose you believe that is true for you, it will be true. This is cos .. it can neither be proven right, nor proven wrong. Which in any case, right/wrong would not matter cos u believe that a certain 'something' is your true purpose in life.

I guess no one same 'purpose' will hold true for all human beings ... we could not do the same thing .. can we? Unless we self-terminate instanteously and the entire planet is saved ... :evil:

This might sound a little unbelievable but my one and only purpose in life is dedicated to helping reefs around the world.

For those who had known me, I had given up any thoughts of going to a JC just because I want to study Aquaculture in a Poly. After which I am going to study Marine Biology at an Australian University.

I feel that many people have not found their purpose in life yet. Most of the time when I ask my friends this question, their answer would be to work hard and have a family. While this mindset is not wrong, I think that people should instead think about why they are on this planet.

I believe everyone has a role to play in his or her life. If you are determined to help people, to be a humanitarian and you see something special in being a humanitarian, then you have found your purpose in life.

Just imagine, you spend more than half of your life slogging hard, trying to make ends meet and when you retire, you find that you already do not have the energy to do whatever you want or dream to do. If you want to build Singapore's biggest DIY skimmer, then by all means go and work towards your dream.

So have you found your purpose for being on this Earth yet? :huh:

But if you tame me, we shall need each other.

To me, you will be unique in all the world.

To you, I shall be unique in all the world...

You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.

-Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Keep our hobby sustainable, participate in fragging NOW

CHAETO Farmer FarmerDan.gif

• SRC Member

If we all really look into what we, and those around us are doing, its quite simple - we are working hard to "enhancing" our life quality.

So you can say that's our life purpose.

Maybe at our current humanity stage, we are working on material level. There may be more superior or better approach (forget about religion), we yet to fully grasp those one.

So, its all back to square and simple. Our life "purpose" is kind of game, ever play the game "The Sims"? Something like that, keep on make yourself happy, through any mean you would and gonna pick, good or bad.

At youth, we just wanna be happy by playing, enjoying.

At adult, about the same but also wanna be "power", and with (financial) responsibilities, we play a more higher degree or complex of the game - politic, $-making, ######, etc.

Even at old age, we still wanna do all these, but I dunno on this as I'm not on that stage yet.

There's really no "meaningful" purpose in life, its just kind of a game -- make yourself happy, by good and or evil means, by reefing or not.

• SRC Member

For all who are serious about What is the Purpose of Life, I strongly recommend they read the book :

"Tuesdays with Morrie" by Mitch Albom.

It is a true life story of ....... an old man, a young man, and life's greatest lesson.

After reading the book, my summation is "It is not about you, it is about others in your life". :peace:

• SRC Member

Oh, btw, there is another book by the same author entitled "The Five People You Meet in Heaven".

It is definitely not a religious book .... it is about life. I have bought it, and will be reading it soon.

The purpose in life is already shown by god (if there is one). The hints and signs are so obvious. Or at least that's how I interpret it

The first hint from god is AIDS. To him, Aids is the only form of salvation for mankind. If a cure for AIDS was found, I could surely say mankind will become extinct in no time. So the first purpose: don't find a cure for Aids.

The second hint from god is natural disasters. Most of them are amplified due to mankind's stupid management and restructuring of the environment. Affected drainage due to urbanisation..global warming..etc, etc. The second purpose: Tear down everything and live like how the prehistoric people did.

The third hint from god is to take to your bicycles and legs or it's time to use environmentally friendly vehicles like hydrogen powered cars. Why do you think oil prices went up? So the third purpose: Stop the global demand for oil.

Anyway, iantoh.. I don't see mankind as the keystone species. Keystone species are the natural flora and fauna. Simply because we rely on them...they never relied on us for survival. :peace:

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

• SRC Member
For all who are serious about What is the Purpose of Life, I strongly recommend they read the book :

It is a true life story of ....... an old man, a young man, and life's greatest lesson.

After reading the book, my summation is "It is not about you, it is about others in your life". :peace:

Yup... I agree with Nautical that "Tuesday with Morries" does touch upon purpose of life quite accurately. It is certainly a very very good read and does bring out thoughts and tears.

It reflects what one's thoughts will be when one faces the possibility of death in a fightening real manner. How a lot of things will seem redundant and useless when that time comes ... and one would realise how important family and friends are, and wouldnt it be better if time was spent to smile with, laugh with, love, treasure and appreciate your family and friends.

And yes, to those few who knows me, I treasure and appreciate your company, however brief it might be. :):):) So thank you friends, fellow reefers and Henry (ML). Somehow will try to say it in words next time we meet. :lol::lol:

• SRC Member
The second hint from god is natural disasters. Most of them are amplified due to mankind's stupid management and restructuring of the environment. Affected drainage due to urbanisation..global warming..etc, etc. The second purpose: Tear down everything and live like how the prehistoric people did.

somehow.., the Tsunami incident reminds me of the Noah's Ark.

• SRC Member
It might related to religion, but please try to keep religion out of discussion.

As far as I can think of

Purpose of Life is SUFFERING.

Why, most of the times, u suffer.

There are times that you enjoy, happy, but compare to the time you suffer,

U suffer more.

Any other points ?

PS. Not discussion of Religion and SERIOUS discussion in this thread Please.

The purpose of life has to be about love.

The measure of your love is how much you're prepared to suffer. The greater the love for your neighbour(wife is the closest neighbour then your children, then your extended family, then the others around you) the greater you suffer for it. The greatest love is measured by whether you are prepared to sacrifice yourself to save the other.

alpha

Purpose in life is to make the world a better place for others by the time you leave.

Very true, love cannot be irresponsible. We all are stewards of the creation, charged to look after it within the best of our given abilities.

Kelmen,

Life is not illusionary. Life is real. Step out of the edge of tall building, if its an illusion you'll know soon enough. ;)

Ian

i think the only purpose life has is the purpose one accords it- that is, we determine our own life's purposes.

Free-will is accorded to each person, it is a indeed a privilege to be able to do what we want. Again with consequences to its outcome, which society and God will demand an account of.

• SRC Member

So with the time human beings had spend on earth, do u think that it is any

better than when we are just apes???

Is what we are having right now consider to be "better" than "yesterday"?

Is our so-call making "better" is actually making "worse"?

Why are we always measuring in "human" perspective?

In the whole animal kingdom (fr single cell to high intelligent being),

humans beings ARE THE TRUE PARASITE on MOTHER EARTH.

Look closely and u'll notice that we are the only one that's not contributing anything

back. Even when we die, we choose to burn our remains. We only know

how to take and take and take ...

"Humans thrilled by destruction and yawn at creation"

In nature, we are totally out of the food-chain cycle. So what purpose are

we taking about? Does inventing electricity, computer, tools a purpose, but

to what end?

Or are we like the fishes and corals we keep in our tanks for our amusment?

So maybe our ultimate PURPOSE is to entertain some higher beings?

There are many uncertain purpose or "man-made" purpose,

but one definite purpose is,

U R BORN FOR DIEING

:D:D But since i dun really like the dieing purpose, MY purpose is

- earn as much money while enjoying life

- play as many games on PC/PS/whatever

- keep a nice marine tank

- eat alot of good food

- visit many nice places

zephyros,

I love the tiger. If I were walking along the jungle one day and meet face to face with one. I wud think, hey thats a beautiful animal. What would the thoughts of the tiger be, it may see me as food for his meal. The fact is, humans are able to distinguish btw not dying and not killing it, seeing them as beautiful shows we are of a higher hierarchy to them. We are above animals and all other creatures. We are made this way, to dominate over them...( not other humans btw) does not mean to wipe them out.

• SRC Member

that's like saying "lets have a discussion on how a car runs.... but please no mention of PETROL!"

maybe if you weren't so against discussion religion, you might actually find some answers ;)

xp,

:bow:

• SRC Member
haha, mins.. finally a sensible thread from you. this place needs this type of threads once in a while. I find the way you think similar to the existentialists' point of view who believe in existence preceding essence.

existentialism got closer emphasis in the aftermath of ww2, cause it's the first time, people see devastation to such a massive extent. The inability of God to stop all these destruction and give hope to those in need during wartimes further reinforced the existentialistss point of view that there is no greater being out there and what you do eventually decides what you will face or become.

Existentialists actually believe that the Man's greatest sin is to be born. Since there is no God, there will be no fixed boundaries for men to follow, so it is actually up to us to decide on our path, and once decided, we will have to live by our decision. To a certain extent, they believe that the universe actually holds nothing but hopelessness.

To end off, it's actually your choice to choose what you want to be. Nobody can be sure that there is a Heaven, or there is a Hell. Once you chose your path, be prepared to live by it and face it. For me, i havent found the real purpose in life yet...I need to get past this obstacle first -Final Year Exams!!! :sick::sick:

Aqua,

I jus love it when you use absolutes.... "there is no God".... "nobody can..."

• 3 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

After reading the book, my summation is "It is not about you, it is about others in your life".  :peace:

Understand the movie "Tuesdays with Morrie" is shown on the Hallmark channel.

Next telecast will be on 27 Sept at 0415 hours and on 28 Sept at 1115 hours.

Since working (and sleeping), can someone assist to record on DVD if that is possible. I will be glad to reimburse the cost, postage, transportation or arrange pickup at your convenience. Please note, not on tape as I don't have a VCR.

Thanks a zillion for anyone who can help. :thanks::bow::thanks:

• SRC Member

Please ignore my last request to record the movie "Tuesdays with Morrie". Hallmark is going to telecast the movie again during decent hours in the month of October.

Incidentally, Hallmark is also screening the other movie "The Five People You Meet in Heaven", the book written by the same author. Screening also in October during decent hours.

:thanks: