Review on the different kinds of Marine Salts

hongqixian

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member
Wow! This is an OLD thread! :)

Anyway... I am using Coralife salt for the last 2 years and I find it good enough for my SPS tank!

AT

AT boss,

How often do you change water and how much do you change?

This is really a testimonial for coralife salt. Even the boss uses it. So why waste the extra money on expensive salt? I think I'm going to switch to coralife.

BTW, after this coralife salt price may go up. hehehehe

• SRC Member
started my tank with Meersalz from Aquamedic. bought the 20 kg X 2 mixed with DI water. Calcium, alkalinity and salinity is almost as per requirement and don't need to add any additives.

Am happy with it and no complains. Dissolves quite well too with no residues.

how much did u buy yr Meersalz? was recommended by a friend but seems like no reefers here using... whats yr comments?

IMHO,

I feel dissolvability should just be one of the many factors that we should use to compare salts.

I think like what some has brought up, we should also look at the level of trace elements, calcium magnesium etc that's present in the salt mix as well as the undesirable things like nitrate or phosphate that may be present in it as well as the ph of a fresh mix.

I remember reading a review on RC whereby they actually did lab test on the level of the different trace elements that are present in the various salt mix available...Can't remember the results though. Do a search on it...shud be able to find! I only remember that kent and instant ocean seems better overall though some brands might outshine others in certain areas....

As for myself, I was using deep ocean for a while before switching to instant ocean. Don't see any diff while using deep ocean but after using instant ocean, it seems easier to maintain high alkalinity levels although i can't be too sure if instant ocean was the actual contributing factor..... Before that always having problems maintaining above 8dkh... my 2 cents :)

"Save a reef, grow your own"

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

seems like the S-15 report shows very interesting reports

but i just cannot bring myself to disagree that they are promoting a certain brand of salt: M@ri$e En*iro#men%

IMO, high solubility, low in phospate and silicates and low in heavy metals will make up for the desired salt. all other stuff about trace element content can be adjusted my the hobbyist unless you are a very lazy person and just want everything to come in a package

But if you tame me, we shall need each other.

To me, you will be unique in all the world.

To you, I shall be unique in all the world...

You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.

-Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Keep our hobby sustainable, participate in fragging NOW

CHAETO Farmer FarmerDan.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

I just switch the salt from red sea to tropic marine yesterday.

Actually, I do not know which is the best in the market, the most important to me is the nitrate, I have measured them separately before mix them into the tank. The nitrate is 25ppm for both.

Look like they are no different physically.

• SRC Member
All branded salt should be free from nitrate and phosphate. This is also clearly stated on the box of the tropic marine salt. Did you measure your tap water? May be the nitrate came from your tap water.

No. I have tested the tap water is ZERO ppm.

The test kit is as follow:

Interpet, Easy Test, Aquarium Water Test Kit for Nitrate.

Is that the problem in the test kit?

• SRC Member

This is very interesting. Coz I'm using Tropic Marine also. I don't know what is the nitrate level right after mixing, but my nitrate is less than 10ppm in the tank.

I realized that if I use the sera test kit, it will show about 20ppm but if I use the salifert, it will show less than 10ppm.