Understanding SPS Light Requirements

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its a long thread so hope this helps.

Summerise:

Pocilloporin is the fluorescent cells on the SPS. SPS absorbs one light spectrum and displays out another.

>Pocilloporin primarily absorbs green/yellow (550-600 nm) light along with some upper UV-A . it emmits a orange/red

>highly fluorescent pocilloporins primarily absorbs light from 310 to 380 nm (UV-B and UV-A) and then fluoresces this as light from 400 to 470 nm (violet/blue).

>highly fluorescent pocilloporin primarily absorbs light from 380 to 470 nm (UV-A, violet and blue) and fluoresces light from 475 to 520 nm (blue and green).

>third type of highly fluorescent pocilloporin primarily absorbs light from 430 to 490 nm (violet and blue) and fluoresces light from 490 to 540 nm (green/yellow).

>Yellow fluorescing pocilloporin primarily absorbs light from 440 to 500 nm (blue) and fluoresces light from 520 to 620 nm (green, yellow and orange).

>Red/Orange Fluorescing pocilloporin that primarily absorbs light from 500 to 540 nm (green) and fluoresces light with wavelengths that are primarily orange to red.

Its a long thread so hope this helps.

Summerise:

Pocilloporin is the fluorescent cells on the SPS. SPS absorbs one light spectrum and displays out another.

>Pocilloporin primarily absorbs green/yellow (550-600 nm) light along with some upper UV-A . it emmits a orange/red

>highly fluorescent pocilloporins primarily absorbs light from 310 to 380 nm (UV-B and UV-A) and then fluoresces this as light from 400 to 470 nm (violet/blue).

>highly fluorescent pocilloporin primarily absorbs light from 380 to 470 nm (UV-A, violet and blue) and fluoresces light from 475 to 520 nm (blue and green).

>third type of highly fluorescent pocilloporin primarily absorbs light from 430 to 490 nm (violet and blue) and fluoresces light from 490 to 540 nm (green/yellow).

>Yellow fluorescing pocilloporin primarily absorbs light from 440 to 500 nm (blue) and fluoresces light from 520 to 620 nm (green, yellow and orange).

>Red/Orange Fluorescing pocilloporin that primarily absorbs light from 500 to 540 nm (green) and fluoresces light with wavelengths that are primarily orange to red.

Wah biangs... can anyone summarise that in English? me blur liao... :(

People do not plan to fail; Often they just fail to plan...

Wat I do to prevent myself from tearing my hair out... My stress remedy...

post-34-1105890976.jpg

• SRC Member
[Wah biangs... can anyone summarise that in English? me blur liao... :(

summarize as in : asumming using 250W 10K (since the majority is using)

1. coral species

2. High/medium/low lighting conditions :P

eg. 1. Montipora gucci.sp - LOW

2. Acropora armani.sp - HIGH

3. Pocillopora ferragamo.sp - MEDIUM :lol:

• SRC Member

summarize as in : asumming using 250W 10K (since the majority is using)

1. coral species

2. High/medium/low lighting conditions :P

eg. 1. Montipora gucci.sp - LOW

2. Acropora armani.sp - HIGH

3. Pocillopora ferragamo.sp - MEDIUM :lol:

hahaha...got gucci and armani....can show pictures or not..... :P

me quite cookoo with the last name, a picture would be great!

:thanks::thanks:

hehe when i first read also blurr... ok simple explaination.

> SPS that shows orange/red colour, needs 550-600 nm spectrum of the light.

> SPS that shows purple/blue colour, needs 310-380 nm spectrum of the light.

> SPS that shows blue/green colour, needs 380-470 nm spectrum of the light.

>SPS that shows green/yellow colour, needs 430-490 nm spectrum of the light.

> SPS that shows yellow colour, needs 440-500 nm spectrum of the light.

>SPS that shows Red/Orange colour, needs 500-540 nm spectrum of the light.

I see if can find the light spectrum chart, then will make it easier to understand.

• SRC Member

Hi, can anyone explain

Which one is suppose to be placed high and which low when looking at the spectrum requirements.Lower spectrum=higher? :cry:

:thanks:

Hi, can anyone explain

Which one is suppose to be placed high and which low when looking at the spectrum requirements.Lower spectrum=higher? :cry:

:thanks:

Quote from Anthony Calfo... generally, red coloured corals can be placed further away from light source as they need less lights... :)

post-34-1105890976.jpg

• SRC Member

Quote from Anthony Calfo... generally, red coloured corals can be placed further away from light source as they need less lights... :)

That means you guys place red millis at lower levels?How will it affect the coloration if placed at a high spot? :thanks:

But based on personal experience vs theory can comment? :thanks:

• SRC Member

That means you guys place red millis at lower levels?How will it affect the coloration if placed at a high spot? :thanks:

my red and pink is place all the way to the top and the color seems to have lighted up a lot.....think i better place them lower..... :P

Bro,

my red and pink millis is near the top... colours are oustanding... but I guess they'll do as well if you place them lower...

There are SPS that have to take the top spots... if not brown, but these red SPS can be lower... so even if they look nicer on top, you still have to place them lower unless you got lots of space on top... :)

post-34-1105890976.jpg

• SRC Member

intensity => sps pigment will protect the zoox from either being bleached or prevents the sps itself from bleaching... (this will result in colouration )

wavelength => sps pigment will alter the wavelength need by the zoox so that it have achieve the maximum rate of photosynthesis so that the sps can have the maximum amount of food possible (this results in colouration and GROWTH)

water tend to abosrb the blue wave length the least, the lower you go, the more the blue spectrum dominates, thats why the deeper you dive, the more blue it is...nearer to the surface, the greater the range of wavelength is present

this is what i understood.......hope it makes it easier to understand...if i misinterpreted, my apologies :peace::peace:

It is quite interesting to note that as the previous thought is that the more yellow the bulb is, the fater the growth and the contrary is said to experience slower growth.

So what we are saying here is that blue bulbs not only can bring out the colour but also promote growth in SPS?

But if you tame me, we shall need each other.

To me, you will be unique in all the world.

To you, I shall be unique in all the world...

You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.

-Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Keep our hobby sustainable, participate in fragging NOW

CHAETO Farmer FarmerDan.gif

• SRC Member
It is quite interesting to note that as the previous thought is that the more yellow the bulb is, the fater the growth and the contrary is said to experience slower growth.

So what we are saying here is that blue bulbs not only can bring out the colour but also promote growth in SPS?

not quite exactly....from the values state...the pocilloporin will indeed take up the blue spectrum and emit those around that of the green yellow spectrum which will be used by the zoox..

so from this i suppose when a yellow blub is used, it provides an appropriate wavelength directly to the zoox without the need for flourece by the sps pigment...greater intensity of the appropriate wave length is provided by the blubs as compare to the appropriate but lower intensity by the pocilloporin.....so as a result, theres better growth but colouration wise isnt as intense as the pigments will only be used for photoprotection...

but this ponders me...like what u said bro blueheaven....zoox do use the blue spectrum also and the pocilloporin does absorb those of the blue spectrum....so if that is the case... blue bulbs might indeed promote better growth and colouration ... but only to certain sps with those specific zoox in them :blink:

Too bad our tanks are not like a few metres deep or else we can have the perfect spectrum for the various SPS :P

So how do we know which species of SPS have this strain of zoox? :huh:

But if you tame me, we shall need each other.

To me, you will be unique in all the world.

To you, I shall be unique in all the world...

You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.

-Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Keep our hobby sustainable, participate in fragging NOW

CHAETO Farmer FarmerDan.gif

• SRC Member
Too bad our tanks are not like a few metres deep or else we can have the perfect spectrum for the various SPS :P

So how do we know which species of SPS have this strain of zoox? :huh:

provide a range of bulbs from 6.5K to 20K will definately allow for a wide range of wavelength with high intensities for various wavelengths...like the XM 10k SE bulb. having a particularly high intensity over the blue spectrum...

but the deeper the tank..the more u lose out in intensity...so rate of photosynthesis drops...ultimately it still defeats the purpose :P:P