Project New Reef by Achilles Tang

Achilles Tang

• 2 weeks later...

Just a little teaser for those who are coming to my place for the SRC gathering/tank warming party on 14 Dec!

Here's my 2 x 2 x 1.5 refugium/sea-horse tank!

Front View:

refugiumfront2.jpg

Back View:

refugiumfside.jpg

My yellow seahorse:

yellowseahorse2.jpg

Another view of my seahorse:

yellowseahorse.jpg

Centre-view of my tank!:

centreview071202.jpg

• SRC Member

Upgraded your lights yet?

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

I'll be DIYing a 400watt Radium to add on to my existing light pendant just for my acropora corner... that is... when I can justify it when I get some good specimens.

Acropora frag contributions will be appreciated! ;)

• SRC Member

The clams won't do too well under 150W on the sand. You might want to bring them up higher up closer to the light.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

Actually, I think they are doing fine. I have one piece that was just purple in colour (got it a couple of years ago when I thought that was the finest clam I saw in LFS... lol!)... now it is beginning to colour up with some green!

And on the sand too!... Don't underestimate the power of HQI bulbs... ;)

Reefers have been keeping acros with 150 watt HQIs with no probs.

Anyway, once my 400 watt MH goes up, they will benefit from it.

• SRC Member

HQI? Hmmmm, I thought you were using AB.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

• SRC Member

A pity I have not seen your tank yet. I just got to know about this site days ago through a friend I met at Sealife. But, I'm impressed looking at what you have done. I'm a Tang lover but my 4X2X2 ft tank is more of a reef one. I also have a tiny one with one lionfish.

I think (marine) therefore I am

Alright... got my digital cam out tonight... I just fed my tank so I have a garlic film on the water.. heh!

I also switched off my Reeftecs, which my expanded carnation coral on the upper left corner absolutely loves the current they provides (those who came that night saw it was shrunken then but they do shrink and expand at diff times of the day... mine tends to expand more at night when I feed live phytoplankton)

leftview161202.jpg

Left View

centreview161202.jpg

Centre View

rightview161202.jpg

Right View

I didn't get my tripod out... so I won't post my whole tank view just yet.

I culture them.

Yours is dead phytoplankton in a bottle... limited nutritional value and limited lifespan... and ultimately expensive... compared to live plankton... as you can theoretically culture them forever.

I will be putting up more info on live culturing soon as Chan and Brandon have recently gotten their phytoplankton culture kits.

I would like to thanks AT and Pacificbeta for the live plankton & rotifiers. I don't know whether it is true or my imagination, but i thought my corals open up bigger and all their tenacles coming out after i put some of those in? I have started my first culture last night. Hopefully it is not contaminated, not too sure how to sterilize. The colour is now light green. I think will need a few days to tell.

AT, just to confirm with u again.. If it crash, how can i tell? based on the colour? i don't have a microscope..