newbie here,pls advise

:blink: BROS,juz started out. need some advise.

thinking of keeping a softies tank n maybe 1 to 2 hardy anemores

(read that soft corals are more hardy)

tank is 2x1x1ft

actually thought of not having a filter but got myself a hang on filter coz auntie at lfs recommand it.

(sump and cannister a bit ex,budget)

currently having a 1 inch sandbed.

getting the other items soon(lighting,skimmer,LR,testkit)

but some questions to ask.

a)Is hang on filter good enough for the softies n anemores?

(will be having water change abt 1 a week)

b)can the filter (flow rate-1000L/hr) n skimmer pump(setting soon) provide enough water circulation or do i need another powerhead?

c)how much kg of LR is recommanded for my tank?

d)Is PL lighting strong enough(Pl or FL better?),how many tubes n wat colours is recommanded?(Anemores need strong lighting rite?)

b)temp of my tank is too high(29C), is 1 fan enough to bring temp to

26-27C?(chiller too ex)

:P

• SRC Member
hardy anemores

there ain't such a thing as hardy anenomes bro... if u ask me the are better left for non-newbies... stick with other LPS first...

also, DO NOT BELIEVE EVERYTHING THE LFS AUNTIE SAYS... if you ask me the bigger the filter/sump the better...

• SRC Member
:blink: BROS,juz started out. need some advise.

tank is 2x1x1ft

actually thought of not having a filter but got myself a hang on filter coz auntie at lfs recommand it.

b)can the filter (flow rate-1000L/hr) n skimmer pump(setting soon) provide enough water circulation or do i need another powerhead?

d)Is PL lighting strong enough(Pl or FL better?),how many tubes n wat colours is recommanded?(Anemores need strong lighting rite?)

26-27C?(chiller too ex)

Yep no anemone is hardy.

There are some cheap canister that cost some 70SGD, china made. It can last you at least 3 years. Hang on filter hmmmm, a bit messy sooner or later, also not extremely cheap consider the quality.

Lights I recommend 2 tube T5, one actinic and one 20K. Most LPS and soft coral plus BTA can keep. But advise you to buy these stuff after 6 months after your tank is up, unless you can get mature water from some bros or LFS.

LR up to your requirement for scaping.

29 degrees temp is alright for now but adding light will bring it up. Fan can bring it down some 1 - 2 deg.

Equipment:

30G Corner Tank with 10G Sump, 2 x 24W artinic T5, 1 x 24W 10K, 1x 24W 20K, 3" Grade 0 sand & Live rocks, Activated Carbon, Bio-home, 2 x Seio M620, Hailea 1/2HP Chiller, Redsea Pro Skimmer

Live Stock:

Turbo Snail x 1, Green Mandarin Dragonet X 2, Blue Tang X 2, True percular x 2, 1 x Algae Bleenie, Clarke clown x 2

Reef:

1 x 2" Blue maxima, Red/Brown/Purple Mushroom (Discosoma), Pink Ricordea yuma, A little colony Brown/Green common Zoanthus, Red/Pink/Green US Zoanthus, Eagle-eye Zoathus, 14 Branch Goniopora Pandoraensis, 1 Starburst Polyps, 3 + 2 Branch Frogspawn, 4 Blasto, palythoa, Cheato

RIPs (Since June 2005):

1. Sabae clown (KO by Clarke clown) 2. 1 branch melted frogspawn 4 branch 3. Golden maxima (Ripe the base off rock by me) 4. Algae Bleenie x 2 (Starvation) 5. Blue Maxima x 1, 2 x Maxima, 1 x frogspawn, rics (Overtemp...)

Old 30G Corner Tank.

Restarted 30G Corner Tank.

• SRC Member

BROS,juz started out. need some advise.

no such thing as hard anemone or hardy anemone, only hard ****

tank is 2x1x1ft

mutha of all mistakes for noobies. listening to aunties. not that i wanna discriminate the older ladies in the trade... but only a few older ladies in the HOBBY can listen to.

no money, no tankey. simple as that

atta boy! spend the money!!

hang on filter is good for increasing water volume and removing some detritus

depends on what you are keeping. but u said coral/anemones... i think u need more than that... but jus dun create whirlpool in your tank can already. personally i like alot of smaller powerheads for multi-directional current...

the more the merrier... but juz enuff to leave room for you to place your corals and other LS and of course room for your fish to swim. can look at other member's tank for guidelines...

anemones.. t5 minimum.... how many tubes/colour... personal preference.... some people like 6500k as it promotes better growth as specturm nearer to the real mccoy... some people like blue... becuz whole life watch blue film.... so used to it already....

26-27C?(chiller too ex)

1 fan not enuff.... run an iceprobe... as i said above... if no money.... i think u keep betta also not bad.... no need filter, no need light, no need coral, no need chiller.

Tank + Water + Betta , it is all you need!!!!!

Mr. Boon, sorry but if i am abit harsh... but its just me... i like to be direct... so that you do not make the same mistakes i make last time.....

but all the while i didn't listen to lfs auntie advise.... my story is i did my fair share of reading and researching b4 going to lfs to buy thing.... i go to shop... this auntie is telling me how much i need the underwater gavel filter system... and how it is a perfect system tried, tested and proven....

sure... tried, tested and proven TO FAIL!!!!!

*translated from Hokkien*

"If say no bang wall, this idiot will never ripen" - Mr Quah Siew Kow.

• SRC Member
bro, thks for all the guidance.

but wats the prices of the t5 lights?

wat do you mean by mature water, is it nsw?

if i get that, if i get that, do i have to do a 100% water change with my current

mixed sw?

If U have already mixed your SW. Jusy get a couple of LR's , chuck them in the tank. add 1 market prawn in and wait for a mth or so to let the tank cycle..

At the end of it. do checks for Ammonia,nitrite and nitrate.. You can actually do one check at the 2 week period for ammonia and ntrite.

• SRC Member
but wats the prices of the t5 lights?

A single tube will cost u $12.50 (Aquaz promotion price) then the ballast I forgot what was it... $30? $40?.. reflectors also...

in the end add together might be cheaper than ur PL light even or just a wee bit more ex but with more light output... Also, PLs won't give you the correct colour temperature unless you buy the more expensive PLs which are way too ex IMO...

• SRC Member

A single tube will cost u $12.50 (Aquaz promotion price) then the ballast I forgot what was it... $30? $40?.. reflectors also...

in the end add together might be cheaper than ur PL light even or just a wee bit more ex but with more light output... Also, PLs won't give you the correct colour temperature unless you buy the more expensive PLs which are way too ex IMO...

E-ballast - 20SGD for 2 T5

Equipment:

30G Corner Tank with 10G Sump, 2 x 24W artinic T5, 1 x 24W 10K, 1x 24W 20K, 3" Grade 0 sand & Live rocks, Activated Carbon, Bio-home, 2 x Seio M620, Hailea 1/2HP Chiller, Redsea Pro Skimmer

Live Stock:

Turbo Snail x 1, Green Mandarin Dragonet X 2, Blue Tang X 2, True percular x 2, 1 x Algae Bleenie, Clarke clown x 2

Reef:

1 x 2" Blue maxima, Red/Brown/Purple Mushroom (Discosoma), Pink Ricordea yuma, A little colony Brown/Green common Zoanthus, Red/Pink/Green US Zoanthus, Eagle-eye Zoathus, 14 Branch Goniopora Pandoraensis, 1 Starburst Polyps, 3 + 2 Branch Frogspawn, 4 Blasto, palythoa, Cheato

RIPs (Since June 2005):

1. Sabae clown (KO by Clarke clown) 2. 1 branch melted frogspawn 4 branch 3. Golden maxima (Ripe the base off rock by me) 4. Algae Bleenie x 2 (Starvation) 5. Blue Maxima x 1, 2 x Maxima, 1 x frogspawn, rics (Overtemp...)

Old 30G Corner Tank.

My advice: Stay away from Anemone if possible!! :D Yes they r very nice, but when they die inside ur tank, heheheheheh :eyebrow: ur whole tank might crash!!! :evil:

FYI, clowns dont really need Anemone!!! :)

so its not recommanded to keep anemores rite.

haiz... will take all the helpful comments into consideration,even though the anemores all look so nice.....

• SRC Member
run an iceprobe???

the comment was by mUAr_cHEe.

Is that a chiller for smaller aquarium?

(wats the est. price n where to get?)

if it is can i add the chiller after the cycling period?

(the LRs should be able to take the higher temp.rite?)

a bit poor,need to wait problerly next month.

DIY Kit for 2 Tube T5 is abt 80 SGD from Dr Evil and Horizon, look at the sponsor page.

The Iceprobe is abt 250 SGD, Dun know from who can get...

Equipment:

Live Stock:

Reef:

RIPs (Since June 2005):

Old 30G Corner Tank.

• SRC Member
run an iceprobe???

the comment was by mUAr_cHEe.

Is that a chiller for smaller aquarium?

(wats the est. price n where to get?)

if it is can i add the chiller after the cycling period?

(the LRs should be able to take the higher temp.rite?)

a bit poor,need to wait problerly next month.

ice probe is like... an electro-magnetic chiller...

it has a thing... abit long.... hard..... oh yah.... cold.... oooOOooo....

it will be cold.... and that will soak in the water.... that is how it cools things down...

u can check out MarineLife at Hong Leong... last time i checked... they carry it...

when u cycle.... u dun need to run lights.... u will encourage algae bloom.... no need to run chiller.... cycling no need cold water.... u only run pump.... and maybe skimmer???

link for iceprobe here..... http://www.coolworksinc.com/iceprobe.htm

can check out both eaquanature.com and ML.... both are sponsers in this forum... can find their sub-forum further down the main page.... pay them a visit!

*translated from Hokkien*

"If say no bang wall, this idiot will never ripen" - Mr Quah Siew Kow.