Clams

LiveRock

• SRC Member

Liverock, wouldn't advise you to keep clams as your temperature and lighting cannot ensure its long term survivability. Even if it does, it might live a deteriorating existence which is not healthy. :( JMO

Hon, its a max you got there! Recognising features...

1. Neatly organised dots along the edge of the syphonal mantle

2. Colours on a max normally take a blotchy appearance

Very Nice! :rolleyes:

• SRC Member

Hon,

Looks like T. maxima but I can't be sure until I see the shell.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member

You kept a sea turtle? How big is your underwater world? :o

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member

Tanzy..

I kept it in my 3 ft tank without coral during that time. Its a 2.5 shell lenght baby sea turtle i got from Marine Reef at Opel Crescent. They have since closed down after moving to kembangan there. The baby refuse to eat after 3mth..after 2 more week found dead floating in my tank :(

• SRC Member

That is one bad thing to do. Turtles are not reef safe anyway even if the tank it big. The diet among other things include LPS and softies.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

• SRC Member

Sorry, Just to check, Liverock's system is not suitable for clams.. What about mine? I am using a 20,000k coralife with 180 degrees external reflector with a 100% Actinic 03 blue light, in a 2ft x 18 x 18 tank with chiller. Can have clams?

• SRC Member

I'm running a 150W MH with 20k bulb and already can say my clams are kinda struggling.......mantle has lost some green colouration and parts are bleached already. Read someone that the colour temp should not exceed 10k as even though the intensity is OK, the colour temp is also important as clams typically do not exist mroe than 10ft under water.

• SRC Member
I'm running a 150W MH with 20k bulb and already can say my clams are kinda struggling.......mantle has lost some green colouration and parts are bleached already. Read someone that the colour temp should not exceed 10k as even though the intensity is OK, the colour temp is also important as clams typically do not exist mroe than 10ft under water.

Meaning that 20,000k is not good for clams?

Clams require full spectrum light. The best light for clams is 6500K MH bulbs. If u want to keep croceas and maximas to color up u need 250w at least to increase the coloration otherwise 150w will keep them alive and growing but wil not have the bright coloration.

• SRC Member

sop sop :(

Maybe one day I will have a big setup with proper conditions for clams..

May this wonderful hobby continue to flourish! Until then, I just hope better, newer and cheaper equipment and technologies will emerge to make enjoyment more and maintenance less.

:D