DIY 3' T5 Stand

aquanoob

Hi all,

Wish to share my DIY 3' T5 Stand and hopefully can gather some constructive comments.

I've planned to use a 2" PVC trunking and a 39W DIY T5 KIT from DE Lightings.

Requirements:

- 39W T5 DIY Kit (Changed normal endcap to waterproof type).

- 2" PVC Trunking (bought from electical shop with standard 2m length).

post-9-1130600919.jpg

• SRC Member

Good work and nice tank you have.

Just one note, the ballast heats up quite a bit, monitor if it will melt the PVC. I understood some PVC is lesser in heat resistance. Most duct are for air-con if I'm not wrong, so may not withstand heat very well

Equipment:

30G Corner Tank with 10G Sump, 2 x 24W artinic T5, 1 x 24W 10K, 1x 24W 20K, 3" Grade 0 sand & Live rocks, Activated Carbon, Bio-home, 2 x Seio M620, Hailea 1/2HP Chiller, Redsea Pro Skimmer

Live Stock:

Turbo Snail x 1, Green Mandarin Dragonet X 2, Blue Tang X 2, True percular x 2, 1 x Algae Bleenie, Clarke clown x 2

Reef:

1 x 2" Blue maxima, Red/Brown/Purple Mushroom (Discosoma), Pink Ricordea yuma, A little colony Brown/Green common Zoanthus, Red/Pink/Green US Zoanthus, Eagle-eye Zoathus, 14 Branch Goniopora Pandoraensis, 1 Starburst Polyps, 3 + 2 Branch Frogspawn, 4 Blasto, palythoa, Cheato

RIPs (Since June 2005):

1. Sabae clown (KO by Clarke clown) 2. 1 branch melted frogspawn 4 branch 3. Golden maxima (Ripe the base off rock by me) 4. Algae Bleenie x 2 (Starvation) 5. Blue Maxima x 1, 2 x Maxima, 1 x frogspawn, rics (Overtemp...)

Old 30G Corner Tank.

Restarted 30G Corner Tank.

ello aquanoob

nice wk !!! looks much better then mine ...

but the trunkin,single core wire i got is slightly cheaper

trunkin for $5 for 8ft

20m of single core wire $5

but i got them at the factories behind my place

might be the case ... dats y cheaper LOL

HI all,

Thanks for the comments.

nakazoru: The heat was my main concern too. So far heat generated by ballast is not hot enough to raise concern over melting the trunking.

k0na_scab: Hehe good for you if you can get it cheaper. I bought mine all from SimLim Square :pinch:

dominik: Good idea, you've just inspired me to DIY a 3 tubes stand but I need to figure out how mount the reflector for the tubes mounted below the trunking.

I also have this crazy idea that if the ballast is generating heat enough to raise concern, I'll try to mount those tiny computer fan on one of the end of the trunking to pull the heat out. But then again I'll need to figure out to power up the fan and etc :eyeblur:

very neat and seems pretty stable- but be very careful of the heat/try to insulate the ballast with aluminium strip, wish more people will "experiment " and post their Diy projects, good or bad, alway good to have ideas to brain -storm, thumbs up on yours

vipersig.jpg

good job bro,looked really neat :yeah: very nicely cut holes too! :lol: looked like done in a workshop :yeah:

Hahaha.. Thanks bro, those holes were cut using acrylic cutter. Very easy I must say but provided your cutting square holes.

Updates on the lighting:

Have been running more then 10 hours straight and the ballast is not producing enough heat to raise trunking meltdown concern. To be frank, the ballast in the PVC trunking is much much cooler compared to the Atman FL Aluminum casing I was using before.

Maybe I'll try to cover both end of the trunking (for cleaner finishing look) and see whether there’s a heat buildup. Will update again... :D

• SRC Member
I also have this crazy idea that if the ballast is generating heat enough to raise concern, I'll try to mount those tiny computer fan on one of the end of the trunking to pull the heat out. But then again I'll need to figure out to power up the fan and etc 

this pic might help you..... :rolleyes:

post-9-1130739355.jpg

Hi spawns,

Thanks for the idea but I'm thinking of a way to do without the DC transformer cause I don't really like to waste another power point just to run the fan but since most of those small fan are likely to run on DC and the heat generated by the ballast does not cause any concern, I'll shelf it for now. Cheers~