Anemone

• SRC Member

Just bought one from hong leong.. dunno what it is call also,... small round about 2" diameter, cream colour with purple colour tip. Tentacles are abit short and the center of the anemone dun have tentacles... anybody know what it is call??

How do i tell that if its happy in the environment? And how do i know if its dying? :(

Hi ND...

Could be a sebae anemone. A happy & lively anemone will retract/ shrink very fast when touched/ disturbed. It usually will be clinging on tightly to a rock/ tank/ substrate (depending on species)....Also its tentacles will be inflated most of the time unless it is purging out its wastes.

Hope this helps... :)

I'm gonna break the cycle

I'm gonna shake up the system

I'm gonna destroy my ego

I'm gonna close my body now

• SRC Member
A pix to ID would be best to answer your question.

Lots of anemones have including glass/aiptasias fit that description.

Aiptasia???!!! NOOO.... hope its not... :blink:

Hong, I bought it from the blue tub in the center, it is placed in a floating tray... special characteristics??.. Not very sure man.. hope i can get the digital cam soon and that would solve it

I placed the anemone prominently on the rock so that i can see it but it crawled to the side between the rock and sand interface and decide to lodge itself there~! Sigh... in that position i only get to see its side view! sigh...

anyway, Thanx guys~!!

:lol:

• SRC Member

it will shift until it finds a spot it likes. Not where u like it to be.

Unless u glue it there.

cream,purple tip? malu? sounds like a high lighting one to me. At only 2" it could be numerous kinds.

If u could just search a database & look for it, just link the pic here. Easier.

the center shouldn't have any tentacles, its where the mouth is. All internal organs are right under that mouth.The rest of the anemone is just tissue & water.

• SRC Member

Hi all, after much search thru the internet i guess mine looks most like this one just that the tip is reddish purple.... so its a sebae? But a search on sebae anemone shows some pictures of it with quite long tentacles leh... so still not very sure... :unsure:

and sebae is hard to keep according to LiveAquaria~!! but in marine depot live they say its undemanding.... anyone with experience with this anemone care to share their experience?

• SRC Member

May I know what you feed these guys? ;)

Now feeding it cubes of mysis. Do they eat these?

Just recently got one of these, but the tentacles are kinda diff, some thin , some fat.. it's stays put at a corner where i left it... not moving anywhere...

Is it ok?

Looks kinda cute :unsure:

• SRC Member

First time on anemone, anyway yesterday i cut a prawn from the fridge to its mouth size and gave it ...the whole anemone just curl up with the prawn in it... now it is stuck halfway in between the rock and the sand. Issit true that a anemone grows better with a clown in it? I know a clown doesnt really need a anemone... just wondering

• SRC Member

It's a H. malu. Commonly called sebae. Don't overfeed an anemone and never give it freezing cold foods or anything like that.

Anemones don't really grow better with clowns.... If you want a clown then make sure the anemone is big enough or it will be 'bullied'.

Newdamsel, cautiouscoral.com has many nice pics of many anemones. Not too much on info though but you can id anemones there.

• SRC Member

Thanx hong, i spend so much time online to search for pictures of fishies and corals.. thanx for the site~! I think i need to get a real small clown man.. the anemone is really small. It has lodge itself at the bottom of a rock looking like the shape of a clam... all tentacles arranged elongatedly with a wavy center devoid of tentacles....

When you say do not overfeed, what would be the frequency like? I mean normal feed is once a week with a prawn that's its mouth size? Or everyday a small piece?

• SRC Member

I tink the cube was too big. You did defrost it right?

Actually anemones don't eat all that much large prey like fish in nature. They feed on clownfish scraps, plankton bits and their zooxanthellae. I read that they expend a lot of energy to digest large foods so don't feed it for a while and give it good lighting. Yours was the pic of the H. malu right? seeing gaps between tentacles is a sign that it isn't doing too well.

• SRC Member

Nope I haven posted any pict yet

My anemone seems to shrink at night when lights are out.

Early morning it looks so dead......... :(

Just tried feeding bits of prawns.. seems to accept them

Hmm.. in tt case what's the frquency of feeding these fellows?

Thanks

• SRC Member
I tink the cube was too big. You did defrost it right?

Actually anemones don't eat all that much large prey like fish in nature. They feed on clownfish scraps, plankton bits and their zooxanthellae. I read that they expend a lot of energy to digest large foods so don't feed it for a while and give it good lighting. Yours was the pic of the H. malu right? seeing gaps between tentacles is a sign that it isn't doing too well.

Yup hong, confirmed that its a H malu... this species doesnt like lights issit? So weird~! i mean i read that they need strong lights right? But it seems that in the day when i on my lights.. it sink itself underneath the rock,

but when i off all lights, it opens up and open fully~!!!

Just bought a clown (A ocellaris), #1, the blue damsels hates him and ordered the clown to stay at a corner of the tank... #2 the clown doesnt like the H malu~!!! GGrrrrr... :angry:

• SRC Member

Ya my clowns were chased ard all day by the stupid blue devil too, but they soon got used to it and ignored the bully completely; sometimes the bigger clown even bites back! Talk abt attitude! Anyways, i tink it helps if u can have more hiding places and feed enuff to the damsel daily...they fight mostly when u approach the tank and such yah?

• SRC Member

haha.. have a tot of banishing the bully also.. but i quite like its blue color leh.. esp when i on the actinics only.. heh heh.. the clown seems deprived of the pallets... sigh/// hope the clown will be hungry enuff to come to the surface and take the pellets...

Hmm... takes time to go to the anemone?? okok... thanx for the info... :lol: